The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

If I got places, sir, it was because I made myself fit for 'em. If you want to slip into a round hole, you must make a ball... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 75,657
If I got places, sir, it was because I made myself fit for 'em. If you want to slip into a round hole, you must make a ball of yourself.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 4:02:41 AM

Neurons: 2,647,199
Quotation of the Day

If I got places, sir, it was because I made myself fit for 'em. If you want to slip into a round hole, you must make a ball of yourself.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Romina Banoo
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 4:13:46 AM

Neurons: 16,673
😐😐😐😐😐
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:33:20 AM

Neurons: 1,217,701
Opportunistic approach, IMHO.
ibj_ldn
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:53:12 AM

Neurons: 233,903
True. Do not count on luck alone - you must be fit yourself.
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 8:34:21 AM

Neurons: 190,864
Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

Yeah. Especially if you are - a square peg in a round hole. Feel yourself comfortable...
Nelson Cerqueira
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:32:05 AM

Neurons: 68,047
Applause try toro never make a bail of yourself
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:03:55 PM

Neurons: 307,069
If I got places, sir, it was because I made myself fit for 'em.
If you want to slip into a round hole, you must make a ball of yourself.
- George Eliot (1819 - 1880)

- IF I got places, it is because of myself!
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 4:50:13 PM

Neurons: 4,650,172
Contex from:THE MILL ON THE FLOSS

BOOK III -

CHAPTER V

Tom Applies His Knife to the Oyster

"But didn't _you_ get on in that way, uncle?" said Tom, a little irritated that Mr. Deane did not enter more rapidly into his views. "I mean, didn't you rise from one place to another through your abilities and good conduct?"
"Ay, ay, sir," said Mr. Deane, spreading himself in his chair a little, and entering with great readiness into a retrospect of his own career. "But I'll tell you how I got on. It wasn't by getting astride a stick and thinking it would turn into a horse if I sat on it long enough. I kept my eyes and ears open, sir, and I wasn't too fond of my own back, and I made my master's interest my own. Why, with only looking into what went on in the mill,, I found out how there was a waste of five hundred a-year that might be hindered. Why, sir, I hadn't more schooling to begin with than a charity boy; but I saw pretty soon that I couldn't get on far enough without mastering accounts, and I learned 'em between working hours, after I'd been unlading. Look here." Mr. Deane opened a book and pointed to the page. "I write a good hand enough, and I'll match anybody at all sorts of reckoning by the head; and I got it all by hard work, and paid for it out of my own earnings, — often out of my own dinner and supper. And I looked into the nature of all the things we had to do in the business, and picked up knowledge as I went about my work, and turned it over in my head. Why, I'm no mechanic, — I never pretended to be — but I've thought of a thing or two that the mechanics never thought of, and it's made a fine difference in our returns. And there isn't an article shipped or unshipped at our wharf but I know the quality of it. If I got places, sir, it was because I made myself fit for 'em. If you want to slip into a round hole, you must make a ball of yourself; that's where it is."
Mr. Deane tapped his box again. He had been led on by pure enthusiasm in his subject, and had really forgotten what bearing this retrospective survey had on his listener. He had found occasion for saying the same thing more than once before, and was not distinctly aware that he had not his port-wine before him.

Read more: ndon.org/etexts/eliot/mill-0025.shtml

dave argo
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:24:35 PM

Neurons: 65,006
Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

To get places is an expression which means to succeed, to prosper, to thrive.
The quotation offers a good hint, by way of a figure of speech, as to how to accommodate "getting to places".
The same applies to learning here, at this site; one must be curious to search a little for the meaning of words and expressions.