The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Byronic Hero Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 71,088
The Byronic Hero

The Byronic hero is an idealized but flawed character exemplified in the writings of English poet Lord Byron. The archetype first appears in Byron's semiautobiographical epic narrative poem Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and is portrayed as highly intelligent and sophisticated while simultaneously self-critical, mysterious, and seductive. Such characters possess many "dark" attributes not normally associated with heroes. What are some other examples from literature? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:56:08 AM

Neurons: 2,359,018
Article of the Day
The Byronic Hero
The Byronic hero is an idealized but flawed character exemplified in the writings of English poet Lord Byron. The archetype first appears in Byron's semiautobiographical epic narrative poem Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and is portrayed as highly intelligent and sophisticated while simultaneously self-critical, mysterious, and seductive. Such characters possess many "dark" attributes not normally associated with heroes.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:33:34 PM

Neurons: 4,161,399
TOP BYRONIC HEROES IN LITERATURE

Byronic Hero: Mr. Rochester
Book: Jane Eyre

Quote: “I have little left in myself — I must have you. The world may laugh — may call me absurd, selfish — but it does not signify. My very soul demands you: it will be satisfied, or it will take deadly vengeance on its frame.”

Byronic Hero: Heathcliff
Book: Wuthering Heights

Quote: “If he loved with all the powers of his puny being, he couldn’t love as much in eighty years as I could in a day.”

Byronic Hero: All of Lord Byron’s Characters
Book: Child Harold’s Pilgrimage has the “first” Byronic Hero for example
Quote:

“I stood
Among them, but not of them; in a shroud
Of thoughts which were not their thoughts.”

Byronic Hero: Maxim
Book: Rebecca

Quote:

“Either you go to America with Mrs. Van Hopper or you come home to Manderley with me.”
“Do you mean you want a secretary or something?”
“No, I’m asking you to marry me, you little fool.”

Byronic Hero: Severus Snape
Book: Harry Potter Series

Quote:

“Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
“After all this time?”

Byronic Hero: Dorian Gray
Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray

Quote: “I don’t want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them.”

Byronic Hero: Captain Nemo
Book: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Quote: “On the surface, they can still exercise their iniquitous laws, fight, devour each other, and indulge in all their earthly horrors. But thirty feet below the (sea’s) surface, their power ceases, their influence fades, and their dominion vanishes. Ah, monsieur, to live in the bosom of the sea! ….There I recognize no master! There I am free!”

Byronic Hero: Edmond Dantes
Book: The Count of Monte Cristo

Quote:

“I regret now,” said he, “having helped you in your late inquiries, or having given you the information I did.”
“Why so?” inquired Dantès.
“Because it has instilled a new passion in your heart—that of vengeance.”

https://www.silverpetticoatreview.com/2013/10/02/top-20-bad-boys-part-3-byronic-heroes-in-literature/