mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
disclaiming Options
vkhu
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 5:01:44 AM

Neurons: 6,423
Quote:
They were sitting in there, both facing it Two men. The very way they held their heads—they were not apologetic, they were not disclaiming enough, for such a time and such a place and such a visit.

Context: 2 men visited a family who had just had a funeral. Neither one looked like they were there to offer condolences.

What is "disclaiming" in this context? All the definitions I can find are related to refuting a fact or something like that. I don't see how that would fit here.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 7:23:24 AM

Neurons: 594,984
They were cold, insensitive. Not feeling much.
AndEng
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 9:10:43 AM

Neurons: 28,497
I agree with you vkhu
Both apologetic and "were nor disclaiming enough" seem to not fit with what one would expect, that is more similar to what Jyrkkä Jätkä says.

More context would help maybe....

What I may imagine the author would like to express is that the two men's posture showed neither sympathy nor any sorrow or regret for their lack of sympathy.

vkhu
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 11:05:14 PM

Neurons: 6,423
AndEng wrote:
I agree with you vkhu
Both apologetic and "were nor disclaiming enough" seem to not fit with what one would expect, that is more similar to what Jyrkkä Jätkä says.

More context would help maybe....

What I may imagine the author would like to express is that the two men's posture showed neither sympathy nor any sorrow or regret for their lack of sympathy.

There isn't much context other than that. Those 2 were detectives. They didn't come to console the aggrieved. They're there to do their job. Hence their attitude. I'd say Jätkä's and your interpretations make sense. They didn't look sad (apologetic), and they didn't care about them not looking sad (disclaiming).
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:27:07 PM

Neurons: 228,163
Hi!

I can understand the use of "apologetic" - It could be expected that they might apologise for intruding on the family while they were just arriving from the funeral.

However, 'disclaiming' doesn't work well.
I would have to guess at what it meant (and it would not be any of the usual meanings of the word).