mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:22:11 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I'm finding I have to constantly log in recently. Also today I can only " temporarily " delete or edit my posts. Anyone else, or do I need to throw more wood on my hard drive ?
Ray41
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:30:37 AM

Neurons: 45,980
Happened to me a few days ago ex. I opened TFD and noticed that I was appearing as a guest, so logged in. Happened about 4 times over 2 days [and I did have the 'keep me logged in box' ticked]. Seems to have resolved itself, or the system had a temporary glitch. Did not experience any problem with deletes/edit as I had no need to use them. Strange that it is still affecting your computer/area. Could be a language problem.Whistle

Keep your wood for winter, but keep a tyre lever next to the computer. They seem to sense when these hard objects are at hand and respond accordingly.Angel
tootsie
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:21:53 AM

Neurons: 23,730

I've had to 'log in' constantly for over a week now and was able to choose my own password. Most odd. Eh?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:30:05 AM

Neurons: 612,436
I don't have the 'keep me logged in box' ticked, but my browser remembers my username and password when I log in. There might be a glitch in the site cookie keeping you logged in, especially if you use different computers in home and in the office.
redgriffin
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:27:13 PM

Neurons: 223,976
I have to constantly log in to make comments but all I do is hit the log-in button and hey presto I'm in. It helps me to choose my responses.
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:20:42 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Today I'm still on the temporary delete/edit program right now. Five minutes ago I could delete but only temporarily edit my posts, and was barred from new topics. Confused...befogged...admin? Just noticed a ' View Coupons ' thing in the upper right corner. Anyone else ?
MrH
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:18:55 PM

Neurons: 90
I've just discovered the same issue. Thought it was due to (my) new network hardware.

Not that I'd ever imagine someone hacking a dictionary website account but it does feel a bit more secure this way.
Ray41
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:55:48 AM

Neurons: 45,980
ex, by your comment on the' ' View Coupons ' thing in the upper right corner.' it sounds to me like your computer has picked up a virus.
My suggestion is to run your anti-virus a couple of times, or, try going back to a restore point earlier than when you started having trouble.
You can pick up a virus from just opening any of the links on TFD, or else where, if your anti-virus is not on the ball.
I changed my protection after the provider I was using let a virus through, and then issued an 'urgent update' 36 hours after the computer shut down.Brick wall
JJ would have a better idea than I would as my knowledge is limited.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:39:52 AM

Neurons: 612,436
"View coupons" sounds like some adware or spyware installed as an add-on in your browser. If you move your mouse cursor over the "View coupons" can you see any link address down in the status bar? If you have subscribed to some "Special Offer Coupons" the add-on might give you targeted coupon offerings depending on the site you are currently browsing.

In addition to running a full check with your regular anti-virus tool you could consider to install and run some other malware detection and removal product, like Ad-Aware Free, Avast,...

You could also run security scans for some sites you visit regularly (Google "site security check")
like in http://www.unmaskparasites.com/security-report/

To your log-in problems: make a full detailed note for yourself (Operating system version, browser version, anti-virus settings, firewall settings; and a detailed description of what is happening and shown on your browser screen when having these problems...)

- and post the symptoms and background information to TFD admins or here, for help.