The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Things of the heart Options
Harry Lime
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:35:11 AM

Neurons: 18
Things of the heart: I love you with all my heart; why not I love you with all my liver, or
my right kidney longs for you.
The heart pumps blood throughout the body; the heart does not think or feel,why then, is the heart used as a symbol to express human emotion.
Luftmarque
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:34:04 AM

Neurons: 39,962
"Affairs of the heart" does sound more romantic than "Affairs of the amygdala" doesn't it? Just how reductive would you want to go with this idea (almost said notion!)? Would you want to end up with something like "Affairs of the T6 bundle of limbic neurons and their associated circuits connecting to the parasympathetic system"? Or were you thinking more along the lines of substituting something psychological rather than anatomical? "Affairs of cathexis" perhaps? I'm just saying that, if you want to do away with heart as a metaphor, then it would be helpful to suggest a replacement, whether metaphorical or literal.
early_apex
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:43:29 AM

Neurons: 12,855
Harry Lime wrote:
Things of the heart: I love you with all my heart; why not I love you with all my liver, or
The heart pumps blood throughout the body; the heart does not think or feel,why then, is the heart used as a symbol to express human emotion.

The heart is used in Old Testament poetry to indicate some part of our inner being where the soul was thought to dwell. You might say that emotions reside in our brains, but many feelings can only be described as visceral. Interestingly, where English translations of the Bible say "heart", the original Hebrew word is "kidneys". Think of it as a poetic way of referring to some part of ones self far from the surface.
fred
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:59:32 AM

Neurons: 4,457

[image not available]
risadr
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:16:36 AM

Neurons: 3,545
I agree with Mark: if you're going to suggest that we do away with heart as a metaphor, it would be helpful to suggest a replacement. I think that I'm going to start telling my friends and family that I love them with all of my right kidney. lol
bugdoctor
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:46:19 AM

Neurons: 5,456
I love you with all the frontal lobe of my brain.
fred
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:28:19 PM

I love you with all my chambered muscular organ that pumps blood received from the veins into the arteries, thereby maintaining the flow of blood through my entire circulatory system.

Aha, you thought for a moment it was going in the wrong direction.

arthbard
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:12:12 PM

Neurons: 189
Harry Lime wrote:

This is more or less the explanation I've heard for this apparent eccentricity of a metaphor:

The behavior of the heart changes in noticeable ways according the emotional state of the owner of said heart. Our heartbeat slows down when we are relaxed or bored. It speeds up when we are frightened or nervous. And, of course, the heart races when we're in love. So, to anyone with a more primitive grasp of human biology, the heart might appear to be the seat of all of our emotions. Certainly, at least, it would appear to be a more logical candidate than the human brain, which more or less just sits there, offering no evidence of its importance unless you jam a stick through it.

Obviously, we know better today, but the expression is a holdover from a time when people knew considerably less about the human circulatory system. In other words, them not all smart like us are now. Drool
fred
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:24:16 PM

arthbard wrote:
[quote=Harry Lime] them not all smart like us are now. Drool

I hates to currect that scryben of yourn:

"Them's not all smart like us is now."

early_apex
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:45:26 PM

arthbard wrote:
Certainly, at least, it would appear to be a more logical candidate than the human brain, which more or less just sits there, offering no evidence of its importance unless you jam a stick through it.

The brain: That with which we think we think.
early_apex
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:46:15 PM

fred wrote:

Us is not all of us smart even now.
fred
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:46:58 AM

early_apex wrote:
fred wrote:

Us is not all of us smart even now.

Good try!
risadr
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:22:33 AM

Neurons: 3,545
arthbard wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

This is more or less the explanation I've heard for this apparent eccentricity of a metaphor:

The behavior of the heart changes in noticeable ways according the emotional state of the owner of said heart. Our heartbeat slows down when we are relaxed or bored. It speeds up when we are frightened or nervous. And, of course, the heart races when we're in love. So, to anyone with a more primitive grasp of human biology, the heart might appear to be the seat of all of our emotions. Certainly, at least, it would appear to be a more logical candidate than the human brain, which more or less just sits there, offering no evidence of its importance unless you jam a stick through it.

Obviously, we know better today, but the expression is a holdover from a time when people knew considerably less about the human circulatory system. In other words, them not all smart like us are now. Drool

I knew that the heart responded to certain emotions, but I've never noticed whether my heart races when in the presence of those with whom I'm in love. I guess that my conscious mind is too preoccupied with other things to pay much attention to the doings of a mere organ...
Raparee
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:51:52 AM

Neurons: 18,102
arthbard wrote:
Certainly, at least, it would appear to be a more logical candidate than the human brain, which more or less just sits there, offering no evidence of its importance unless you jam a stick through it.

I can't help it, I love this phrasing to death. :D It just makes me snicker every time I read it.

Beyond that, the rest of it was pretty spot on. Way back when, before more in-depth scientific knowledge of anatomy, the heart was widely considered the seat of all consciousness and being. Consider how the earth was considered the center of the universe at one point and that pretty much applies to the whole heart scenario. We may know better now, but it doesn't change the way some things have filtered down through history. Along with that, if you've ever been heartsick or suffered heartache, the actual physical pain is located there (it is, after all, stressful and therefore, stressful on the heart), so someone suffering said ailments would hurt around the heart area and voila! Heart = lurrrrve. And to be fair, the heart is a pretty damned important organ. We can be braindead and the body can still be kicking around (though not much for conversation at that point and I generally consider braindeath to be death...what makes me me is gone at that point), but you lose that heart and it's totally over.

We could get into the whole location of the soul bit, assuming one believes in souls (I do, don't get me wrong), but that's another topic entirely. That and I'm still tickled with the whole pokey-stabby brain bit. I don't know, maybe it's partially the mental imagery of a brain sitting there, harmlessly, on a rock or something, just going about its business and someone (a guy, most likely, as it's a very guy thing to do) has to go about poking at it to see what it'll do. Totally random amusement, gotta love it.
early_apex
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 10:41:23 AM

Raparee wrote:

We could get into the whole location of the soul bit, assuming one believes in souls (I do, don't get me wrong), but that's another topic entirely. That and I'm still tickled with the whole pokey-stabby brain bit. I don't know, maybe it's partially the mental imagery of a brain sitting there, harmlessly, on a rock or something, just going about its business and someone (a guy, most likely, as it's a very guy thing to do) has to go about poking at it to see what it'll do. Totally random amusement, gotta love it.

Yes, I see it now. Boys with sticks. Brain on a rock. The outcome is inevitable.

The lesson we can take from this is that it would be unwise to leave your brain outside in plain view, or to wear your heart on your sleeve.
fred
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 11:08:35 AM

I can see this is a very special day
prolixitysquared
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:38:31 PM

Neurons: 3,101
Harry Lime wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with when that particular shape (the heart) was invented. Maybe it seemed fitting ?
aldi09
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:28:13 AM

Neurons: 48
I would never think that it may be such a problem. Heart is a symbol of all our feelings and emotions. This organ is a representative of our life. If heart stops working we die immediately. Of course, if our liver or kidneys stop working we die as well. But heart is heart.
dalal
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:49:58 AM

Neurons: 3
the latest studies assure that the heart has a role in the thinking Whistle

up on that ,, i love every one with whole of my heat champers

RegardsBoo hoo!
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:06:32 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Why not stand on top of a mountain and yell for all the world to hear (except for maybe those people in a forest)

"I love you with all my lungs."
franziska
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 6:29:19 AM

Neurons: 211
Joseph Glantz wrote:
Why not stand on top of a mountain and yell for all the world to hear (except for maybe those people in a forest)

Thinking about my next door neighbours' very vocal and loud rows and subsequent equally loud and vocal making ups, I think you're right on the spot. LOLAngel
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:06:27 AM

Neurons: 3,101
Joseph Glantz wrote:

Lung-loving, oh my.
cleopatra clover
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 10:16:43 AM

Neurons: 999
Joseph Glantz wrote:
Why not stand on top of a mountain and yell for all the world to hear )except for maybe those people in a forest)

"I love you wirh all my lungs."

prolixitysquared wrote:
Lung-loving, oh my.

So, if I'm broken-hearted, maybe I should say "I'm broken-lungs"
...And wonder how the arrow of cupids would be...through the lungs.
Epiphileon
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 11:05:59 AM

Neurons: 166,361
bugdoctor wrote:

Your a Vulcan?
fred
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 2:05:28 PM

Epiphileon wrote:
bugdoctor wrote:

Your a Vulcan?

Indeed?
dvd
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 11:27:30 PM

Neurons: 116
When my heart beats, i know i am still alive.
When i am excited, my heart is pounding.
When i am sad, i can feel a distinct soreness coming from the heart.