The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I don't think of the past. The only thing that matters is the everlasting present. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 68,739
I don't think of the past. The only thing that matters is the everlasting present.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 2:45:30 AM

Neurons: 2,175,387
Quotation of the Day

I don't think of the past. The only thing that matters is the everlasting present.

Sue Dalziel
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 3:31:07 AM

Neurons: 10,702
An extremely erudite and supremely spiritual quote. Appropriate for a Sunday.
taurine
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 6:27:38 AM

Neurons: 63,346
*Straight from the horse's mouth? That's a gift.

*From the highest authority.

In horse racing circles tips on which horse is a likely winner circulate amongst punters. The most trusted authorities are considered to be those in closest touch with the recent form of the horse, that is, stable lads, trainers etc. The notional 'from the horse's mouth' is supposed to indicate one step better than even that inner circle, that is, the horse itself.

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 8:19:59 AM

Neurons: 443,378
The only thing that matters is the everlasting love.
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 10:16:14 AM

Neurons: 3,951,141
Context from:The Moon and Sixpence

21. Chapter XXI

"Looking back on the last five years, do you think it was worth it?" I asked.

He looked at me, and I saw that he did not know what I meant. I explained.

"You gave up a comfortable home and a life as happy as the average. You were fairly prosperous. You seem to have had a rotten time in Paris. If you had your time over again would you do what you did?"

"Rather."

"Do you know that you haven't asked anything about your wife and children? Do you never think of them?"

"No."

"I wish you weren't so damned monosyllabic. Have you never had a moment's regret for all the unhappiness you caused them?"

His lips broke into a smile, and he shook his head.

"I should have thought sometimes you couldn't help thinking of the past. I don't mean the past of seven or eight years ago, but further back still, when you first met your wife, and loved her, and married her. Don't you remember the joy with which you first took her in your arms?"

"I don't think of the past. The only thing that matters is the everlasting present."

I thought for a moment over this reply. It was obscure, perhaps, but I thought that I saw dimly his meaning.

"Are you happy?" I asked.

"Yes."

I was silent. I looked at him reflectively. He held my stare, and presently a sardonic twinkle lit up his eyes.

"I'm afraid you disapprove of me?"

"Nonsense," I answered promptly; "I don't disapprove of the boa-constrictor; on the contrary, I'm interested in his mental processes."

Read more:http://www.literaturepage.com/read.php?titleid=moonandsixpence&abspage=85&bookmark=1
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 10:58:30 AM

Neurons: 148,797
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. You can think about the past and future. The present? You can make it, and if you do - then make it better.
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 1:21:11 PM

Neurons: 135,009
monamagda wrote:
Context from:The Moon and Sixpence

21. Chapter XXI
(...)
"I don't think of the past. The only thing that matters is the everlasting present."
I thought for a moment over this reply. It was obscure, perhaps, but I thought that I saw dimly his meaning.
(...)
Read more:http://www.literaturepage.com/read.php?titleid=moonandsixpence&abspage=85&bookmark=1

- I would say that is my point of view in life. The time that has gone is untouchable. The time that will come is impossible to be fully known. The reality is the present time when everything is taking place. This is a torrent of events that never ends and still going until we close our eyes to this world.