The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It is not violence that best overcomes hate—nor vengeance that most certainly heals injury. Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 71,268
It is not violence that best overcomes hate—nor vengeance that most certainly heals injury.

Charlotte Bronte (1816-1855)
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 3:51:54 AM

Neurons: 2,372,515
Quotation of the Day

It is not violence that best overcomes hate—nor vengeance that most certainly heals injury.

Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 5:22:18 AM

Neurons: 167,053
Daemon wrote:

It is just one of those cases where "know-how" is more important than "know-what"...
pedro
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 7:56:26 AM

Neurons: 60,444
Daemon wrote:

so what is it?

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 9:13:49 AM

Neurons: 209,158
It is not violence that best overcomes hate, nor vengeance that most certainly heals the injury.

It was said by my mother that:
"There is no bad that stands forever, nor good that never ends."

I can see some resemblance between the two statements when it is noticeable that our attitude must be seen in a balanced point of view.
Neither violence can create a peaceful result, nor the vengeance should lead to an end in the pain.
Both of them lead to the end of conversations and diplomacy and become the point of no return in the bad, in general.
monamagda
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 10:53:41 AM

Neurons: 4,175,751

Context from:Jane Eyre

Chapter 6

"Well, then, with Miss Temple you are good?"

"Yes, in a passive way: I make no effort; I follow as inclination guides me. There is no merit in such goodness."

"A great deal: you are good to those who are good to you. It is all I ever desire to be. If people were always kind and obedient to those who are cruel and unjust, the wicked people would have it all their own way: they would never feel afraid, and so they would never alter, but would grow worse and worse. When we are struck at without a reason, we should strike back again very hard; I am sure we should--so hard as to teach the person who struck us never to do it again."

"You will change your mind, I hope, when you grow older: as yet you are but a little untaught girl."

"But I feel this, Helen; I must dislike those who, whatever I do to please them, persist in disliking me; I must resist those who punish me unjustly. It is as natural as that I should love those who show me affection, or submit to punishment when I feel it is deserved."

"Heathens and savage tribes hold that doctrine, but Christians and civilised nations disown it."

"How? I don't understand."

"It is not violence that best overcomes hate--nor vengeance that most certainly heals injury."

"What then?"

"Read the New Testament, and observe what Christ says, and how He acts; make His word your rule, and His conduct your example."

"What does He say?"

"Love your enemies; bless them that curse you; do good to them that hate you and despitefully use you."

Gary98
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 8:44:06 PM

Neurons: 2,958,272
pedro wrote:
Daemon wrote:

so what is it?

Right. Negating a solution without giving a better solution is not a solution at all. Not even a worse solution.
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 9:25:48 PM

Neurons: 242,792
""It is not violence that best overcomes hate--nor vengeance that most certainly heals injury." (Said Helen)

"What then?" (Asked Jane)

"Read the New Testament, and observe what Christ says, and how He acts; make His word your rule, and His conduct your example." (Replied Helen)

"What does He say?" (Asked again Jane)

"Love your enemies; bless them that curse you; do good to them that hate you and despitefully use you."""
(Helen's solution)

There must be something a little less demanding of the innocent victim, something that does not demand love of your enemies, and the blessing of them who curse you--to speak nothing of justice the innocent victim deserves; hard enough to do good to them who hate you and despitefully use you.

FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:41:39 PM

Neurons: 47,890
There are 3 things you can do in any situation;
1. Accept it
2. Change it, or
3. Eliminate it (that may require leaving, physically, but sometimes that isn't possible and may require additional action)

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~