The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The winged fairies of Grimm and Andersen have brought more happiness to childish hearts than all other human creations. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 91,656
The winged fairies of Grimm and Andersen have brought more happiness to childish hearts than all other human creations.

L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)
kitten
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2011 2:12:30 AM

Neurons: 7,420
Daemon wrote:
The winged fairies of Grimm and Andersen have brought more happiness to childish hearts than all other human creations. Frank Baum (1856-1919)

The above quote is part of the introduction to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
by Lyman Frank Baum
(1856-1919)

Introduction

Folklore, legends, myths and fairy tales have followed childhood through the ages, for every healthy youngster has a wholesome and instinctive love for stories fantastic, marvelous and manifestly unreal. The winged fairies of Grimm and Andersen have brought more happiness to childish hearts than all other human creations.

Yet the old time fairy tale, having served for generations, may now be classed as "historical" in the children's library; for the time has come for a series of newer "wonder tales" in which the stereotyped genie, dwarf and fairy are eliminated, together with all the horrible and blood-curdling incidents devised by their authors to point a fearsome moral to each tale. Modern education includes morality; therefore the modern child seeks only entertainment in its wonder tales and gladly dispenses with all disagreeable incident.

Having this thought in mind, the story of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" was written solely to please children of today. It aspires to being a modernized fairy tale, in which the wonderment and joy are retained and the heartaches and nightmares are left out.

L. Frank Baum

Chicago, April, 1900.

Please thank http://classiclit.about.com for the above information.

peace out, >^,,^<
1dreamer
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2011 7:07:34 AM

Neurons: 147
I agree, but maybe adults seek in art and entertainment the same like children's fairytales to escape for a moment from their reality.
Perhaps shows and art should speak to adults not only of the beauty of the world but also the ugly so they can change it.
MTC
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2011 8:10:40 AM

Neurons: 8,606
...the world where "the heartaches and nightmares are left out," as remote as a star. But to quote Browning, "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2011 9:36:27 AM

Neurons: 4,678
I personally think that fairy-tales SHOULD include the unpleasant realities of real life. I think they should be a means to introduce to a child's psyche the negative aspects of the human being.

For example: I think in the fairy-tale Beauty and the Beast, at the end of the story, the Beast should not have turned into the handsome prince.I think this is a distortion--but perhaps it serves as a kind of step by step, easing into a child's mind, in a not too terrible of a way,the dark side of life and living.

(As a child, I first saw Beauty and the Beast on television and burst out crying when the Beast first appeared to Beauty because I was so frightened by his appearance and thought that he was an evil monster. But at the end of the movie when the beast turned into the "prince", I think it reassured my childish mind that though there are bad things in the world, everything will be alright; the good will overcome the bad.)

But as an adult, and the older I become, the more deeply I love the story and the more disappointed I am with the ending. I realized it was the Beast that I loved--NOT the prince, and that the real "beauty" of the story was the beast.

I also think that fairy-tales are not written just for children, perhaps even more so for adults, helping one to seebeyond the surface illusions that we as human beings have.

Now, perhaps as a result of this childhood fairy-tale, I do look for a handsome prince who will enter my life and sweep me away in a cloud of mist, but a beast who has the capacity to love and whose heart is pure.
jcbarros
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2011 12:04:48 PM

Neurons: 9,122
Jean Cocteau´s "La belle et la bete" ? Dancing
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2011 7:44:33 PM

To anyone who happens to read my above post: I made a mistake and left out the word "not." In case it isn't obvious to someone that I made an error, I correct it now in case my meaning is misunderstood.

I do not look for a handsome prince who will enter my life and sweep me away in a cloud of mist, etc.
Christine
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2011 10:53:48 PM

Neurons: 15,842
Marissa La Faye Isolde wrote:
To anyone who happens to read my above post: I made a mistake and left out the word "not." In case it isn't obvious to someone that I made an error, I correct it now in case my meaning is misunderstood.

I do not look for a handsome prince who will enter my life and sweep me away in a cloud of mist, etc.

So you want ugly babies?Whistle
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Saturday, August 6, 2011 9:31:53 AM

To Christine:

There are no ugly babies.