The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Help me understand this part Options
vkhu
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 12:41:20 PM

Neurons: 6,343
Quote:

The rector was a nice man of about sixty, full of his duty, and reduced, personally, almost to a nonentity by the silent--You leave me alone!--of the village. The miners' wives were nearly all Methodists. The miners were nothing. But even so much official uniform as the clergyman wore was enough to obscure entirely the fact that he was a man like any other man. No, he was Mester Ashby, a sort of automatic preaching and praying concern.

I think I kinda get the first half of this paragraph: the village has either Methodists (the wives) or Atheists (the miners), all have the same aloof attitude. Due to that attitude, the pastor isn't highly regarded.

But the the final half lost me completely. What is the author trying to say?
Gary98
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 1:40:34 PM

Neurons: 3,318,040
The rector is someone who preaches and prays, a nonentity to everyone, and all the official uniform can't make him any more conspicuous.

But even so much..uniform..was enough to conceal the fact that he was a man like any other man. No,..

It is confusing.Think
Romany
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 5:31:30 PM

Neurons: 44,864

Some clergy dress up in long skirts, and hats. This one didn't. (He probably wore ordinary clothes with the white "dog collar" that shows he's a clergyman) so "even so much official uniform as the clergyman wore" - that simple white collar - "was enough to obscure entirely the fact that he was a man like other men." set him apart from everyone else: they didn't even consider he was a real man.

It was just as though he was a kind of machine, that was only able to pray or preach. NOT to feel human emotions.
Gary98
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 1:39:20 PM

Neurons: 3,318,040
Romany, that makes all the senses.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:52:18 PM

Neurons: 44,864
Gary - Dancing Dancing