The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I don't know if I should care for a man who made life easy; I should want someone who made it interesting. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,738
I don't know if I should care for a man who made life easy; I should want someone who made it interesting.

Edith Wharton (1862-1937)
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 10:39:03 AM

Neurons: 82,954
American novelist

with my pleasure
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 12:07:42 PM

Neurons: 136,479
Daemon wrote:
I don't know if I should care for a man who made life easy; I should want someone who made it interesting.

Edith Wharton (1862-1937)

Yeah. First, we want to have an interesting life, and only later, when tired and battered – easy...
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:58:49 PM

Neurons: 3,779,860

Context from:The Fruit of the Tree By Edith Wharton

Book II

Chapter XIV

“You are admirably hospitable to your family —— ”
Bessy let her pretty ringed hands fall with a discouraged gesture. “Why do you find him so much worse than — than other people?”
Justine’s eye-brows rose again. “In the same capacity? You speak as if I had boundless opportunities of comparison.”
“Well, you’ve Dr. Wyant!” Mrs. Amherst suddenly flung back at her.
Justine coloured under the unexpected thrust, but met her friend’s eyes steadily. “As an alternative to Westy? Well, if I were on a desert island — but I’m not!” she concluded with a careless laugh.
Bessy frowned and sighed. “You can’t mean that, of the two —?” She paused and then went on doubtfully: “It’s because he’s cleverer?”
“Dr. Wyant?” Justine smiled. “It’s not making an enormous claim for him!”
“Oh, I know Westy’s not brilliant; but stupid men are not always the hardest to live with.” She sighed again, and turned on Justine a glance charged with conjugal experience.
Justine had sunk into the window-seat, her thin hands clasping her knee, in the attitude habitual to her meditative moments. “Perhaps not,” she assented; “but I don’t know that I should care for a man who made life easy; I should want some one who made it interesting.”
Bessy met this with a pitying exclamation. “Don’t imagine you invented that! Every girl thinks it. Afterwards she finds out that it’s much pleasanter to be thought interesting herself.”
She spoke with a bitterness that issued strangely from her lips. It was this bitterness which gave her soft personality the sharp edge that Justine had felt in it on the day of their meeting at Hanaford.

Read more: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/w/wharton/edith/fruit_of_the_tree/complete.html#chapter14