The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Joanna the Mad (1479) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,051
Joanna the Mad (1479)

Joanna was the first queen regnant of both Castile and Aragon, which would become modern Spain. Though Joanna likely suffered from depression, the extent of her mental illness may have been exaggerated for political reasons. Throughout much of Joanna's reign, her father, husband, and son vied for power, each ruling on her behalf by attesting to her insanity. Joanna remained confined for much of her life. How old was she when she died? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 12:36:07 AM

Neurons: 1,973,327
Today's Birthday
Joanna the Mad (1479)
Joanna was the first queen regnant of both Castile and Aragon, which would become modern Spain. Though Joanna likely suffered from depression, the extent of her mental illness may have been exaggerated for political reasons. Throughout much of Joanna's reign, her father, husband, and son vied for power, each ruling on her behalf by attesting to her insanity. Joanna remained confined for much of her life.
taurine
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 4:12:44 AM

Neurons: 51,103
Perfect - Joanna the Mad. It could sound good.
Charity begins at home, allegedly.
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 7:48:27 AM

Neurons: 68,526

Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile
Joanna
Juan de Flandes 003.jpg
Portrait by Juan de Flandes, c. 1500
Queen of Castile and León
Reign 26 November 1504 – 12 April 1555
Predecessors Isabella I & Ferdinand V
Successor Charles I
Co-rulers Philip I
Charles I
Queen of Aragon
Reign 23 January 1516 – 12 April 1555
Predecessor Ferdinand II
Successor Charles I
Co-ruler Charles I
Spouse Philip I of Castile
Issue
Eleanor, Queen of Portugal and France
Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor
Isabella, Queen of Denmark
Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor
Mary, Queen of Hungary
Catherine, Queen of Portugal
House House of Trastámara
Father Ferdinand II of Aragon
Mother Isabella I of Castile
Born 6 November 1479
Toledo, Spain
Died 12 April 1555 (aged 75)
Tordesillas, Spain
Burial Capilla Real, Granada, Spain
Religion Roman Catholicism

Joanna (6 November 1479 – 12 April 1555), known as Joanna the Mad (Spanish: Juana la Loca), was heiress of the Kingdoms of Castile and Aragon, a union which evolved into modern Spain.[1] She married Philip the Handsome, initiating the rule of the Habsburgs in Spain. After her mother's death, the couple briefly ruled Castille (1504-1506). After Philipp's death in 1506, Joanna became mentally ill and was confined to a nunnery for the rest of her life. Though legally queen of Spain throughout this time, her father Ferdinand and later her son Charles ruled in her place.
Life as Princess
Early life
Joanna with her parents, Isabella and Ferdinand; "Rimado de la conquista de Granada", by Pedro Marcuello, c. 1482.

Joanna was born in the city of Toledo, the capital of the Kingdom of Castile. She was the third child and second daughter of Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon of the royal House of Trastámara. Joanna was an intelligent child and student. In the Castilian court her main tutors were the Dominican priest Andrés de Miranda, the respected educator Beatriz Galindo who was a member of the queen's court, and her mother the queen. She was accomplished in religious studies, court etiquette, the arts of dance and music, and equestrian skills. Joanna mastered all of the Iberian Romance languages: Castilian, Leonese, Galician-Portuguese and Catalan. She also was fluent in French and Latin. She was trained and educated for a significant marriage that, as a royal family alliance, would extend the kingdoms' power and security as well as its influence and peaceful relations with other ruling powers. As an infanta she was not expected to be heiress to the throne of either Castile or Aragon, although through deaths she later inherited both.

Joanna was said to have been an extremely attractive woman during her youth. She had a fair complexion, blue eyes and her hair colour was between reddish-blonde and auburn, like her mother and sister Catherine. English ambassadors at Valencia on 23 June 1505 attempted to give a detailed description of her appearance according to fifteen criteria though her clothing hampered their estimation.[2]
Marriage
Juana around the time of her marriage, c. 1496. Juana was not just a great beauty in her youth, but one of the most educated women in Europe, fluent in several languages.
The marriage contract of Joanna and Philip (1496).

In 1496, Joanna, at the age of sixteen, was betrothed to Philip the Handsome, Duke of Burgundy (titular), in the region of Flanders in the Low Countries. Philip's parents were Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor and his first wife, Duchess Mary of Burgundy. The marriage was one of a set of family alliances between the Habsburgs and the Trastámaras designed to strengthen both against growing French power.[citation needed] Joanna entered a proxy marriage at the Palacio de los Vivero in the city of Valladolid, Castile (her parents had secretly married there in 1469). In August 1496 Joanna left from the port of Laredo in northern Spain on the Atlantic's Bay of Biscay. She would not see her siblings again except for her younger sister Catherine of Aragon in 1506, who was then the Princess Dowager of Wales. Joanna began her journey to Flanders in the Low Countries, which consisted of parts of the present day Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, and Germany, on 22 August 1496. The formal marriage took place on 20 October 1496 in Lier,[3] north of present day Brussels. Between 1498 and 1507, she gave birth to six children: two emperors and four queens.[3]

Joanna's life with Philip was rendered extremely unhappy by his infidelity and her political insecurity.[citation needed] He consistently attempted to usurp her legal birthrights to power.[citation needed] This led in no small part to rumors of her insanity, stoked by reports of her depressive or neurotic acts while she was imprisoned or manipulated by her husband.[citation needed]
Princess of Asturias

The death of Joanna's brother John, the stillbirth of John's daughter and the deaths of Joanna's older sister Isabella and Isabella's son Miguel made Joanna heiress to the Spanish kingdoms. Her remaining siblings were Maria (1482–1517) and Catherine (1485–1536), younger than Joanna by three and six years, respectively. In 1502, the Castilian Cortes of Toro[4][5][6] recognized Joanna as heiress to the Castilian throne and Philip as her consort. She was named Princess of Asturias, the title traditionally given to the heir of Castile.[7] Also in 1502, the Aragonese Cortes gathered in Zaragoza to swear an oath to Joanna as heiress; however, the Archbishop of Saragossa expressed firmly that this oath could only establish jurisprudence by way of a formal agreement on the succession between the Cortes and the king.[8][9]

In 1502, Philip, Joanna and a large part of the Burgundian court traveled to Spain for Joanna to receive fealty from the Cortes of Castile as Princess of Asturias, heiress to the Castilian throne, a journey chronicled in great detail by Antoon I van Lalaing (French: Antoine de Lalaing). Philip and the majority of the court returned to the Low Countries in the following year, leaving a pregnant Joanna in Madrid where she gave birth to her and Philip's fourth child, Ferdinand, later a central European monarch and Holy Roman Emperor as Ferdinand I.
Reign

with my pleasure
J.Carlos.V.M
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 2:04:05 PM

Neurons: 14,517
22 anos ??.
J.Carlos.V.M
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 2:05:55 PM

Neurons: 14,517
Daemon wrote:
Joanna the Mad (1479)

Joanna was the first queen regnant of both Castile and Aragon, which would become modern Spain. Though Joanna likely suffered from depression, the extent of her mental illness may have been exaggerated for political reasons. Throughout much of Joanna's reign, her father, husband, and son vied for power, each ruling on her behalf by attesting to her insanity. Joanna remained confined for much of her life. How old was she when she died? More...
22 anos ??.