The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Mondegreens Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,021
Mondegreens

A mondegreen is a series of words that result from the mishearing of a statement or lyric, creating an often humorous new meaning for the original phrase. Perhaps one of the most famous mondegreens is the misinterpretation of the line "there's a bad moon on the rise" in Creedence Clearwater Revival's song "Bad Moon Rising" as "there's a bathroom on the right." The word "mondegreen" was coined in 1954 by writer Sylvia Wright and is itself a mondegreen. From what misheard phrase did it originate? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 1:53:13 AM

Neurons: 1,969,758
Article of the Day
Mondegreens
A mondegreen is a series of words that result from the mishearing of a statement or lyric, creating an often humorous new meaning for the original phrase. Perhaps one of the most famous mondegreens is the misinterpretation of the line "there's a bad moon on the rise" in Creedence Clearwater Revival's song "Bad Moon Rising" as "there's a bathroom on the right." The word "mondegreen" was coined in 1954 by writer Sylvia Wright and is itself a mondegreen.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 2:33:41 AM

Neurons: 1,761,771
Ha ha ha! I love Mondegreens!

When I was a kid I could never make sense of that stupid song about all the vicious women in the water.

♪ ♫ All the vicious women in the water
Women in the water
Women in the water
All the vicious women in the water ...

I kept asking: "But why are they in the water? It was only in adulthood that I heard the song again & realised that they'd been singing "fish are swimming" not "vicious women".

I think my niece beats that. When she was a preschooler she heard "Hotel California" on the radio for the first time. She loudly sang:
♫ ♪ Welcome to the Hotel Can't-Afford-Ya

She argued fiercely that she was right.

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 2:48:45 AM

Neurons: 1,761,771
The article forgot to mention "Our Lips Are Sealed" by The Go-Go's. Everyone sings along "Alex the Seal".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kQlzOi27M

Plus, of course, there's "Let's Get it Started" by The Black Eyed Peas. Silenced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqV7DB8Iwg

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 9:18:40 AM

Neurons: 67,379

mondegreen
Also found in: Dictionary.
Mondegreen

A mondegreen is the mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase as a result of near-homophony, in a way that gives it a new meaning. It most commonly is applied to a line in a poem or a lyric in a song.[1][2] American writer Sylvia Wright coined the term in her essay "The Death of Lady Mondegreen," published in Harper's Magazine in November 1954.[3] "Mondegreen" was included in the 2000 edition of the Random House Webster's College Dictionary. Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary added the word in 2008.[4][5] The phenomenon is not limited to English, with examples cited by Fyodor Dostoyevsky,[6] in the Hebrew song Háva Nagíla ("Let's Be Happy"),[7] and in Bollywood movies.[8]

A closely related category is soramimi—songs that produce unintended meanings when homophonically translated to another language.[9]

The unintentionally incorrect use of similar-sounding words or phrases in speaking is a malapropism. If there is a connection in meaning, it can be called an eggcorn. If a person stubbornly sticks to a mispronunciation after being corrected, that can be described as mumpsimus.[10]
Etymology

In the essay, Wright described how, as a young girl, she misheard the last line of the first stanza from the 17th-century ballad "The Bonny Earl O'Moray". She wrote:

with my pleasure
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 12:04:06 PM

Neurons: 884,914
Sincerely, I had never heard of the word before.
coag
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 3:18:51 PM

Neurons: 4,785
NeuroticHellFem wrote:
I think my niece beats that. When she was a preschooler she heard "Hotel California" on the radio for the first time. She loudly sang:
♫ ♪ Welcome to the Hotel Can't-Afford-Ya

This made me laugh. I think I'll remember it for a (frequent) situation when I find the hotel room price too high for me.

One mondegreen that I remember (it's someone else's, I heard it on the radio) is "You can grow your own weed" for Fleetwood Mac's "You can go your own way".