The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Pope John Paul I (1912) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,111
Pope John Paul I (1912)

Born Albino Luciani, Pope John Paul I was the first pope to choose a double name, a moniker that honored his two immediate predecessors, Pope John XXIII and Pope Paul VI. Refusing to have the centuries-old traditional papal coronation, he instead opted for a simplified ceremony. His 33-day papacy was one of the shortest reigns in papal history, resulting in the most recent "Year of Three Popes." Several conspiracy theories surround his death. In what position was his body found? More...
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:11:53 AM

Neurons: 3,725,899

Yallop’s murder theory

Resolving the Contradictions

Unfortunately, errors and obfuscations by Vatican sources gave rumors room to grow. A key problem, from the initial report issued by Cardnal Villot to a memorandum from the Commission for Social Communications in 1984, was the Vatican’s prudish unwillingness to admit that the Holy Father had been found dead by Sister Vincenza and not by a secretary. The public might be scandalized by a nun — however elderly — in the papal bedroom.

Cornwell examines Yallop’s points of suspicion and refutes each one. To allow for a cleanup of the evidence, Yallop’s murder theory requires that the pope’s body be found at 4:30 or 4:45 a.m., one hour earlier than official reports estimated. He bases this on an early story by the Italian news service ANSA that garbled the time and misrepresented the layout of the papal apartments. Yallop also claims to have had testimony from Sister Vincenza to this effect but refused to show Cornwell his transcripts.

Both papal secretaries and a confidante of the late Sister Vincenza insist that the body was discovered about 5:30 a.m. The nun noticed that the coffee she had left outside the pope’s bedroom door a few minutes earlier, as per his morning routine, had not been touched. She went through two sets of doors and parted a curtain to find John Paul dead on his bed with a light on and reading material in his hands (he was holding The Imitation of Christ rather than papers from the office). Magee was summoned first, then Lorenzi. They found rigor mortis already beginning to set in and tore the pope’s cassock while preparing his private laying-out. This supports the official estimate for time of death as 11 p.m. the previous evening. Yallop’s theory requires the pope to be freshly dead at 4:30 a.m. since digitalis administered the night before would have taken hours to work.

http://www.crisismagazine.com/2009/a-quiet-death-in-rome-was-pope-john-paul-i-murdered
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:20:11 AM

Neurons: 69,561
Pope John Paul I
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Pope John Paul I: Pope John Paul II, Pope Paul VI, List of popes
Servant of God, Pope
John Paul I
Bishop of Rome
Pope John Paul I from window (cropped).jpg
John Paul I in 1978
Papacy began 26 August 1978
Papacy ended 28 September 1978
Predecessor Paul VI
Successor John Paul II
Orders
Ordination 7 July 1935
by Giosuè Cattarossi
Consecration 27 December 1958
by John XXIII
Created Cardinal 5 March 1973
by Paul VI
Personal details
Birth name Albino Luciani
Born 17 October 1912
Canale d'Agordo, Belluno, Veneto, Kingdom of Italy
Died 28 September 1978 (aged 65)
Apostolic Palace, Vatican City
Previous post

Pro Vicar General of Belluno (1948–1954)
Vicar General of Belluno (1954–1958)
Bishop of Vittorio Veneto (1958–1969)
Patriarch of Venice (1969–1978)
Vice-President of the Italian Episcopal Conference (1972–1976)
Cardinal-Priest of San Marco (1973–1978)

Motto Humilitas (Humility)
Coat of arms {{{coat_of_arms_alt}}}
Sainthood
Venerated in Roman Catholic Church
Title as Saint Servant of God
Attributes Papal vestments
Patronage Catechists[1]
Other popes named John Paul
Ordination history of Pope John Paul I
Diaconal ordination
Date of ordination 2 February 1935
Priestly ordination
Ordained by Giosuè Cattarossi
Date of ordination 7 July 1935
Place of ordination Church of San Pietro, Belluno, Kingdom of Italy
Episcopal consecration
Principal consecrator Pope John XXIII
Co-consecrators Girolamo Bortignon (Padua)
Gioacchino Muccin (Bell. & Felt.)
Date of consecration 27 December 1958
Place of consecration Saint Peter's Basilica, Vatican City
Cardinalate
Elevated by Pope Paul VI
Date of elevation 5 March 1973

Pope John Paul I (Latin: Ioannes Paulus I; Italian: Giovanni Paolo I), born Albino Luciani[a] (Italian pronunciation: [alˈbiːno luˈtʃaːni]; 17 October 1912 – 28 September 1978), served as Pope from 26 August 1978 to his sudden death 33 days later. His reign is among the shortest in papal history, resulting in the most recent Year of Three Popes, the first to occur since 1605. John Paul I remains the most recent Italian-born pope, the last in a succession of such popes that started with Clement VII in 1523. He was declared a Servant of God by his successor, Pope John Paul II, on 23 November 2003, the first step on the road to sainthood.

Before the papal conclave that elected him, he expressed his desire not to be elected, telling those close to him that he would decline the papacy if elected, but, upon the cardinals electing him, he felt an obligation to say "yes".[2] He was the first pontiff to have a double name, choosing "John Paul" in honour of his two immediate predecessors, John XXIII and Paul VI. He explained that he was indebted to John XXIII and to Paul VI for naming him a bishop and then a cardinal respectively. Furthermore, he was the first pope to add the regnal number "I", designating himself "the First".

His two immediate successors, John Paul II and Benedict XVI, later recalled the warm qualities of the late pontiff in several addresses. In Italy, he is remembered with the appellatives of "Il Papa del Sorriso" (The Smiling Pope)[3] and "Il Sorriso di Dio" (The smile of God).[4] Time magazine and other publications referred to him as The September Pope.[5] He is also known in Italy as "Papa Luciani". In his town of birth, Canale d'Agordo, there is a museum that has been made and named in his honour that is dedicated to his life and his brief papacy.

with my pleasure