The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Dawson's Field Hijackings (1970) Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 65,181
The Dawson's Field Hijackings (1970)

In 1970, Palestinian terrorists attempted to hijack five airplanes—most New York-bound flights that had originated in Europe or Israel—and rerouted three to Dawson's Field, a remote desert airstrip in Jordan. The Jordanian king responded quickly, ordering strikes on Palestinian targets. All of the hostages were eventually released. Only one person died in the hijackings—a terrorist who was shot on board one of the planes that did not make it to Jordan. What happened to the rest of the hijackers? More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 4:13:41 AM

Neurons: 858,279
As terrorists and hijackers these guys are trained professionals.
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 5:25:11 AM

Neurons: 47,135
Wear seatbelts all the time...
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 9:08:31 AM

Neurons: 48,595

Dawson's Field hijackings
Dawson's Field hijackings
"Revolutionary Airport" (Dawson's Field) hijackings

The airliners on the ground during the PFLP-hosted press conference.
Location Zarka, Jordan
Coordinates 32°6′22″N 36°9′36″E / 32.10611°N 36.16000°E
Date September 6, 1970
Target Release of Palestinian prisoners imprisoned in Israel
Attack type 5 aircraft hijackings; another attempted, but failed
Weapon(s) Firearms and hand grenades
Victim 310 hostages
Perpetrator Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
Defenders Bar Lev, passengers and sky marshal (Flight 219)
Palestinian insurgency
in South Lebanon

Engagements

1968 Israeli raid on Lebanon Avivim school bus massacre Lod Airport massacre 1972 Israeli air raid in Syria and Lebanon 1973 Israeli raid on Lebanon Kiryat Shmona massacre Ma'alot massacre 1974 Nahariya attack Savoy Hotel Attack Kfar Yuval hostage crisis Coastal Road massacre 1978 South Lebanon conflict 1979 Nahariya attack Misgav Am hostage crisis

International incidents

El Al Flight 426 hijacking El Al Flight 253 attack El Al Flight 432 attack TWA Flight 840 hijacking (1969) Dawson's Field hijackings Munich massacre Operation Wrath of God Sabena Flight 571 hijacking Attack on the Saudi Embassy in Khartoum 1973 New York City bomb plot TWA Flight 841 (1974) Pan Am Flight 110 Operation Entebbe

In the Dawson's Field hijackings (September 6, 1970), four jet aircraft bound for New York City and one for London were hijacked by members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and instead landed at the PFLP's "Revolutionary Airport". By the end of the incident, one hijacker had been killed and one injury reported.

TWA Flight 741 from Frankfurt am Main (a Boeing 707) and Swissair Flight 100 from Zürich-Kloten Airport (a Douglas DC-8) landed at Dawson's Field, a remote desert airstrip near Zarka, Jordan, formerly used as a British Royal Air Force base.[1][2]
The hijacking of El Al Flight 219 from Amsterdam (another 707) was foiled: hijacker Patrick Argüello was shot and killed, and his partner Leila Khaled was subdued and turned over to British authorities in London. Two PFLP hijackers who were prevented from boarding the El Al flight instead hijacked Pan Am Flight 93, a Boeing 747, diverting the large plane first to Beirut and then to Cairo rather than the small Jordanian airstrip.
A fifth plane, BOAC Flight 775, a Vickers VC10 coming from Bahrain, was hijacked on September 9 by a PFLP sympathizer and brought to Dawson's Field in order to pressure the British to free Khaled.

While the majority of the 310 hostages were transferred to Amman and freed on September 11, the PFLP segregated the flight crews and Jewish passengers, keeping the 56 Jewish hostages in custody, while releasing the non-Jews.[3] On September 12, prior to their announced deadline, the PFLP used explosives to destroy the empty planes, as they anticipated a counterstrike.[1] Most of the gathered news media missed the destruction but the explosions were caught by a British television crew from ITN who had been informed by locals who had themselves been informed by members of the PFLP.[citation needed]

The PFLP's exploitation of Jordanian territory in the drama was another instance of the increasingly autonomous Arab Palestinian activity within the Kingdom of Jordan – a serious challenge to the Hashemite monarchy of King Hussein. Hussein declared martial law on September 16, and from September 17 to 27, his forces deployed into Palestinian-controlled areas in what became known as Black September in Jordan, nearly triggering a regional war involving Syria, Iraq, and Israel with potentially global consequences. Swift Jordanian victory, however, enabled a September 30 deal in which the remaining PFLP hostages were released in exchange for Khaled and three PFLP members in a Swiss prison.[1]
Hijackings
El Al Flight 219
An El Al Boeing 707-358B landing at Zürich Airport, Switzerland, in 1982.
El Al Flight 219 Hijacking summary
Date September 6, 1970
Summary Attempted Hijacking
Site English Channel
Passengers 138
Crew 10
Injuries (non-fatal) 1
Fatalities 1
Survivors 148
Aircraft type Boeing 707–458
Operator El Al Israel Airlines
Registration 4X-ATB
Flight origin Ben Gurion Int'l Airport
Stopover Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Destination John F. Kennedy Int'l Airport

El Al Flight 219 (type Boeing 707, serial 18071/216, registration 4X-ATB) originated in Tel Aviv, Israel, and was headed to New York City. It had 148 passengers and 10 crew members aboard. It stopped in Amsterdam, Netherlands, and was hijacked shortly after it took off from there by Patrick Argüello,[4] a Nicaraguan American, and Leila Khaled, a Palestinian.

The original plan was to have four hijackers aboard this flight, but two were prevented from boarding in Amsterdam by Israeli security—these two conspirators, traveling under Senegalese passports with consecutive numbers,[5] were prevented from flying on El Al on September 6. They purchased first-class tickets on Pan Am Flight 93 and hijacked this flight instead.

Posing as a married couple, Argüello and Khaled boarded the plane using Honduran passports—having passed through a security check of their luggage—and were seated in the second row of tourist class. Once the plane was approaching the British coast, they drew their guns and approached the cockpit, demanding entrance. According to Khaled, in an interview in 2000,

"So half an hour (after take off) we had to move. We stood up. I had my two hand grenades and I showed everybody I was taking the pins out with my teeth. Patrick stood up. We heard shooting just the same minute and when we crossed the first class, people were shouting but I didn't see who was shooting because it was behind us. So Patrick told me 'go forward I protect your back.' So I went and then he found a hostess and she was going to catch me round the legs. So I rushed, reached to the cockpit, it was closed. So I was screaming 'open the door.' Then the hostess came; she said 'she has two hand grenades,' but they did not open (the cockpit door) and suddenly I was threatening to blow up the plane. I was saying 'I will count and if you don't open I will blow up the plane.'"[6]

with my pleasure