The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Volkswagen Options
srirr
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 3:22:38 AM

Neurons: 484,288
I have always called Volkswagen a Volkswagen. In fact, I was not even aware that it might have a completely different pronunciation. I must admit here that I am zero in phonetics. d'oh! But the name 'Volkswagen' is frequently pronounced with 'vols' as v in velvet in my country.

Recently, I was at an authorized dealer of Volkswagen cars, where the name was written in Hindi (an Indian Language) which read as Folksvagen. It caught my notice. If it would had been any other place, I could have ignored it, but it was the authorized dealer and hence it had to be absolutely correct beyond any doubt. I then tried to Google it and found that since the company is a German company (I was knowing it earlier), the letter V is pronounced as F and W is pronounced as V in German. Hence the correct pronunciation is Folksvagen.

How do you pronounce it?
milinad
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 3:31:15 AM

Neurons: 54,367
German pronunciation Folksvagen is the correct way to pronounce. However like you said Volkswagen is prevalent in India
thar
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 3:57:47 AM

Neurons: 90,158
Yes
The German 'v' is an English f sound (and the w is an English 'v' sound).
Follks-vaagen.
Volk in German is the same root as 'folk' in English - people. Only in English the 'l' sound as been lost and the 'o' is longer.

Other languages spell the same root word differently:
Dutch, German - volk, Volk
Frisian, Swedish, Norwegian - folk
Icelandic - fólk

Folk's wagon - people's car. Affordable for many people, not just the elite.

It is so ironic it came to be a symbol of peacenik hippiedom, when it was founded in Hitler's Germany and suppled the Nazi war machine making armoured cars. The factory got bombed to high heaven and it was the British Army that fixed it up and ran the company and started making passenger cars, to help restart the German economy.

But, as said, the way something is pronounced locally is the 'right' way locally.
I don't know if Renault or Citroën ever made the Indian market? The French probably grind their teeth over how their names are mangled in English. (A citron is a lemon, not a car) Whistle
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:07:49 AM

Neurons: 500,500
thar wrote:
Folk's wagon - people's car. Affordable for many people, not just the elite.

The problem is that West European countries use the same Latin script and direct borrowing of words is most natural. But then you face the difference in pronunciation. In Russian we use phonetic transcription for names - Фольксваген.

srirr
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:19:50 AM

Neurons: 484,288
thar wrote:

I don't know if Renault or Citroën ever made the Indian market? The French probably grind their teeth over how their names are mangled in English. (A citron is a lemon, not a car) Whistle

Renault and Citroen are in India. In fact, Renault's models Duster and Kwid have gained popularity, but Citroen is not popular in Indian market perhaps because of high price (as per Indian market).

On french words, I was taught pronunciations of some French words like restaurant, renaissance etc. But those words were limited and honestly speaking, we tried pronouncing such words correctly only in a limited circle. In open world, the pronunciations were highly influenced by Indian English and vernacular languages.

Kunstniete
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:28:22 AM

Neurons: 259,261
Volkswagen is Volkswagen, of course Whistle
In Bavaria they might call it "Folksch-vaagen", since they're very fond of transforming -s to -sch.

srirr wrote:
[...] the letter V is pronounced as F and W is pronounced as V in German. Hence the correct pronunciation is Folksvagen

That's correct in most cases, but when it comes to nordic cars, we say "wolwo" and not "folfo" ;)
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:35:04 AM

Neurons: 584,274
And coffee is kaffee in German, not kovvee ;-)
IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:36:26 AM

Neurons: 563,379
How do Americans pronounce 'covfefe'?
Kunstniete
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:47:23 AM

Neurons: 259,261
And how do Gnocchi fit into this conversation? (which are normally pronounced Njocci, just like in Cognac, but across country you might hear anything from "knootschi" to "knocki" Whistle )
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:48:18 AM

Neurons: 500,500
IMcRout wrote:

You bloody liberals need to bring it in every discussion.

IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:22:49 AM

Neurons: 563,379
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
IMcRout wrote:

You bloody liberals need to bring it in every discussion.

Are you speaking of the European idea of Liberalism or are you blindly taking over the deluded American one?