The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

King Macbeth Is Killed (1057) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 65,181
King Macbeth Is Killed (1057)

Macbeth was originally a governor and military commander under Scottish King Duncan I, whose ancestors had seized power from the ancestors of Macbeth's wife. Macbeth ascended to the throne by killing Duncan in battle in 1040 and ruled Scotland for the next 18 years. In 1057, Macbeth was mortally wounded at the Battle of Lumphanan by Duncan's son Malcolm. Malcolm was crowned king the following year. Is Shakespeare's famous tragedy about Macbeth historically accurate? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:52:40 AM

Neurons: 1,910,646
This Day in History
King Macbeth Is Killed (1057)
Macbeth was originally a governor and military commander under Scottish King Duncan I, whose ancestors had seized power from the ancestors of Macbeth's wife. Macbeth ascended to the throne by killing Duncan in battle in 1040 and ruled Scotland for the next 18 years. In 1057, Macbeth was mortally wounded at the Battle of Lumphanan by Duncan's son Malcolm. Malcolm was crowned king the following year.
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:18:26 PM

Neurons: 858,279
Gaelic, as I have noticed, has a very difficult spelling. Despite the fact that I have read a book or two about Celtic languages and Gaelic in particular, still it is very difficult to memorize the rules for the correct pronunciation of the proper names like mac Fhionnlaigh Máel Coluim, mac Cináed, Tigernach, Eochaid and so on, mentioned in this article.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:42:16 PM

Neurons: 63,032
And of course it came full circle, kind of. The Queen Mother (wife of George VI, mother of Elizabeth II) was from the family of the castle at Glamis.

They took the seat a few hundred years after his time, and it took a while, but it will come true - a Glamis will be king.

I can't resist this.
Look up Bowes-Lyon (the family of the Queen Mother) into wikipedia, and under 'notable family members', it puts together such a motley crew!

Quote:
Notable members of the family include:

Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, born Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, mother of Elizabeth II

Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, (1855–1944) was a landowner, and the father of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.

John Lyon, Lord of Glamis, (c. 1340–82), was Chamberlain of Scotland between 1377 and 1382.

Mary Bowes, Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne (1749–1800), known as "The Unhappy Countess", was an 18th-century British heiress, notorious for her licentious lifestyle, who was married at one time to the 9th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne.

Michael Bowes-Lyon, 18th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne (1957–2016)

Patrick Bowes-Lyon (1863–1946), younger brother of the 14th Earl, winner of the 1887 Wimbledon doubles.

Princess Anne of Denmark, born Anne Ferelith Fenella Bowes-Lyon (1917–80), was the mother of royal photographer Patrick Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield, and a first cousin of Elizabeth II.

I wonder if Lyons tea shops ice creams are the same family. Funny they don't mention that! Whistle