mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge. Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 97,845
Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge.

L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 1:56:07 AM

Neurons: 343,229
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. The only thing that brings knowledge... And when it's needed - brings it down.
gerry
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 2:21:00 AM

Neurons: 291,011
Reading is the greatestAnxious Applause
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 3:05:14 AM

Neurons: 4,552,121
Quotation of the Day

FabsM
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 6:02:36 AM

Neurons: 15,186
gerry wrote:
Reading is the greatestAnxious Applause

Yes I agree with you. I think, though, that if you only read maybe you wouldn’t be able to do something for real. I mean, if you just study something but then you don’t try to do what you are studying, maybe you will never face problems that you would face if you tried it. Does it make sense? I think what L. Frank Baum meant was this. So, study, experience what you are studying and then you will have the complete knowledge.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 6:31:41 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Daemon wrote:

So very true!

Experience, not words, form people's attitudes.

That's why forum members should be VERY careful before they criticize other members' comments. No one knows what those other members have experienced.
monamagda
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:08:32 AM

Neurons: 6,948,110

Context from:The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
by L. Frank Baum

Chapter 15.

The Discovery of Oz the Terrible.

"One of my greatest fears was the Witches, for while I had no magical powers at all I soon found out that the Witches were really able to do wonderful things. There were four of them in this country, and they ruled the people who live in the North and South and East and West. Fortunately, the Witches of the North and South were good, and I knew they would do me no harm; but the Witches of the East and West were terribly wicked, and had they not thought I was more powerful than they themselves, they would surely have destroyed me. As it was, I lived in deadly fear of them for many years; so you can imagine how pleased I was when I heard your house had fallen on the Wicked Witch of the East. When you came to me, I was willing to promise anything if you would only do away with the other Witch; but, now that you have melted her, I am ashamed to say that I cannot keep my promises."

"I think you are a very bad man," said Dorothy.

"Oh, no, my dear; I'm really a very good man, but I'm a very bad Wizard, I must admit."

"Can't you give me brains?" asked the Scarecrow.

"You don't need them. You are learning something every day. A baby has brains, but it doesn't know much. Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge, and the longer you are on earth the more experience you are sure to get."

"That may all be true," said the Scarecrow, "but I shall be very unhappy unless you give me brains."

The false Wizard looked at him carefully.

"Well," he said with a sigh, "I'm not much of a magician, as I said; but if you will come to me tomorrow morning, I will stuff your head with brains. I cannot tell you how to use them, however; you must find that out for yourself."

"Oh, thank you--thank you!" cried the Scarecrow. "I'll find a way to use them, never fear!"

"But how about my courage?" asked the Lion anxiously.

"You have plenty of courage, I am sure," answered Oz. "All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. The True courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty.

mudbudda669
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 1:01:59 PM

Neurons: 415,496
Wisdom ?