mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
words associated with the idea of pain and suffering. Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 8:24:19 PM

Neurons: 3,101
What words can you think of that are associated with the idea of pain and suffering ?

Here are two.

Anguish.
Hurt.

Others ?
bugdoctor
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 9:11:27 PM

Neurons: 5,456
misery
torment
agony

Tangentially there are many others. When one is depressed, for example, they may be said to be in agony or emotional pain. This list could branch out like...... the web of the internet.
Christine
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 9:41:04 PM

Neurons: 15,842
torture
PoeJoe
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 10:10:54 PM

Neurons: 53
America.
Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:32:08 AM

Neurons: 166,581
Here's one I haven't heard too many other people use in connection with pain, exquisite.
Christine
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:39:40 AM

PoeJoe wrote:
America.

why this word?
Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:57:00 AM

Christine wrote:
PoeJoe wrote:
America.

why this word?

I think it is a political statement.

I had an interesting discussion with a couple medical professionals, (they really enjoy dealing with me), when they asked me to rate my pain on a 1-10 scale.
I asked them if at ten I would be passed out due to pain. When they said yes, I said oh so you mean a one to nine scale? Another question that came up was "Is the pain bearable?"
Ummm, excuse me, does that mean if I say yes, you will not be doing anything for it?
Finally when I told them that zero was impossible since all of life is pain, they sent in the psych folks.
Ever notice how med folks don't have much of a sense of humor?
dawgteacher
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 10:05:37 AM

Neurons: 24
Most Americans do not know what suffering and pain really mean, come on--most of the pain and suffering we experience we bring upon ourselves. As for a word related to "pain and suffering" how about sacrifice.
Alext1ao
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 11:17:25 AM

Neurons: 18
Surely we can't forget to mention the very basic word "ache" and words in combination with it, such as "headache", "stomachache", "earache", "toothache", "backache", and the more abstract one, "heartache", which is perhaps more in line with this thread.
PoeJoe
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:23:56 PM

Neurons: 53
dawgteacher wrote:
Most Americans do not know what suffering and pain really mean, come on--most of the pain and suffering we experience we bring upon ourselves. As for a word related to "pain and suffering" how about sacrifice.

Lrn2irony.
Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 5:17:36 PM

dawgteacher wrote:

Perhaps not in your experience, but I assure you my friend plenty of Americans are well acquainted with pain and suffering, and not of their own making.
dawgteacher
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:24:27 PM

Neurons: 24
Epiphileon wrote:
dawgteacher wrote:

Perhaps not in your experience, but I assure you my friend plenty of Americans are well acquainted with pain and suffering, and not of their own making.

I did use the words "most do not know," I realize that there are the exceptions. Could you give me some examples where Americans are acquainted with pain and suffering, and I would not count accidental situations as part of the examples. Anxious
prolixitysquared
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:55:20 PM

dawgteacher wrote:
Epiphileon wrote:
dawgteacher wrote:

I did use the words "most do not know," I realize that there are the exceptions. Could you give me some examples where Americans are acquainted with pain and suffering, and I would not count accidental situations as part of the examples. Anxious

My mother adopted my Korean sister in the early 1970s (I was not born until a decade later). My grandparents responded by telling her that if she didn't get rid of my Korean sister, they would disown her. They told her she was welcome to bring my two Caucasian brothers over to their house anytime, but my Korean sister was not allowed there. Any compassionate human being would not do that to her children. So my mother said she would bring all of her children over to the house, or none.

So basically, my mother as disowned by her parents because they are prejudice and old-minded in an inhumane way. My mother tried for years to get them to speak to her. She would write to them, send them our pictures from school, etc. They had wiped her out of their lives quite literally, taking down frames of her photos and any trace of her in the house.

I've never met my grandparents, but I saw my grandmother once in the grocery store when I was in third grade. My mom slowed the cart and turned to me and whispered to look at the woman down the aisle. She said it was my grandmother. I saw her staring at me out of the corner of her eye, but she never said hello and ignored us.

My mother died, but her mother and father, who are in their eighties, are still alive. It hurt her more than I can imagine that they would not love her, speak to her, or acknowledge her as their daughter for the second half of her life.

I believe my mother did the right thing and that her pain and suffering is a result of her parents' ignorance. I cannot conceive of parents making their daughter choose between them and her own daughter.

So I thought this might be a worthy example of what you're looking for in examples.
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:58:16 PM

Neurons: 6,040
Pain and suffering is a common legal term used to describe someone's injuries.
Rondnelly
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:58:47 PM

Neurons: 378
America? :p
What about Brazil?
*suffering* ;D
prolixitysquared
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 9:08:54 PM

Rondnelly wrote:
America? :p
What about Brazil?
*suffering* ;D

I'm sure there are pain and suffering in a lot of different places, with some having higher concentrations of it compared to others. But that has to be a bit difficult to account for easily.
Christine
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2009 11:38:36 PM

childbirth
JohnGriffin
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2009 2:48:13 PM

Neurons: 27
Algolagnia.
bugdoctor
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:18:01 PM

Neurons: 5,456
Change. Boo hoo!
rockinmom
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:47:30 PM

Neurons: 33
Dawgteacher I wished I lived in your world where accidents didn't cause to real pain. When my 34 year old husband died in a car "accident" leaving me and 2 small children behind, I have to say that I was physically sick with pain and suffering. Accidents happen everyday even to Americans and my pain counts just as much as the pain of war or starvation.

My word to add is excruciating.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:17:57 PM

rockinmom wrote:
Dawgteacher I wished I lived in your world where accidents didn't cause to real pain. When my 34 year old husband died in a car "accident" leaving me and 2 small children behind, I have to say that I was physically sick with pain and suffering. Accidents happen everyday even to Americans and my pain counts just as much as the pain of war or starvation.

My word to add is excruciating.

I am so sorry for your loss. I think you've illustrated a very important point. I am just so sorry for what you've been through. These words certainly relate to you in every possible way.

Good word. Sad but good word.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:18:35 PM

JohnGriffin wrote:
Algolagnia.

Oh dear. I just looked that one up. Hmm !

How did you first discover that word ?
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:19:44 PM

Christine wrote:
childbirth

I can't relate and I personally never want to, but that word is definitely right on !
kaliedel
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 2:40:57 AM

Neurons: 1,029
I can't believe no one's said "diarrhea" yet.
early_apex
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 2:29:22 PM

Neurons: 12,855
arthritis
Syriann
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:33:52 AM

Neurons: 3
does Dismay count ?
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:59:00 AM

Syriann wrote:
does Dismay count ?

I would say 'dismay' definitely counts but might be a lighter version of pain, as in not so severe. That may be because of the context I'm used to hearing it in, such as the starter phrase, "To my dismay, ..."

But it absolutely has relevance here.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:59:37 AM

early_apex wrote:
arthritis

Ouch. Yes. I don't even want to imagine how awful that must be. I'm still young, but I fear it.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:02:08 AM

kaliedel wrote:
I can't believe no one's said "diarrhea" yet.

Ouch ! You are right to bring it up. I think that would almost be delving into the specifics of medical or bodily conditions associated with pain. At least it's never chronic though, as far as I know. Dealing with that regularly would be unimagineable-- not that I'd want to imagine such a thing.

I did have a friend in college who had IBS, and I felt terrible for her.
early_apex
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:55:41 AM

prolixitysquared wrote:

My mother adopted my Korean sister in the early 1970s (I was not born until a decade later). My grandparents responded by telling her that if she didn't get rid of my Korean sister, they would disown her. They told her she was welcome to bring my two Caucasian brothers over to their house anytime, but my Korean sister was not allowed there. Any compassionate human being would not do that to her children. So my mother said she would bring all of her children over to the house, or none.

So basically, my mother as disowned by her parents because they are prejudice and old-minded in an inhumane way. My mother tried for years to get them to speak to her. She would write to them, send them our pictures from school, etc. They had wiped her out of their lives quite literally, taking down frames of her photos and any trace of her in the house.

I've never met my grandparents, but I saw my grandmother once in the grocery store when I was in third grade. My mom slowed the cart and turned to me and whispered to look at the woman down the aisle. She said it was my grandmother. I saw her staring at me out of the corner of her eye, but she never said hello and ignored us.

My mother died, but her mother and father, who are in their eighties, are still alive. It hurt her more than I can imagine that they would not love her, speak to her, or acknowledge her as their daughter for the second half of her life.

I believe my mother did the right thing and that her pain and suffering is a result of her parents' ignorance. I cannot conceive of parents making their daughter choose between them and her own daughter.

So I thought this might be a worthy example of what you're looking for in examples.

Proli,
That is terrible! I guess that scorched earth approach to family relations has old world origins, but the logic of it fails me. I assume your grandparents' actions were more to do with failure to cope than intent to hurt. But how widespread the hurt! If their motivations were racial or genetic, one would think that they still would accept you, but instead they just shut the door. I hope you have a relationship with your paternal grandparents.
early_apex
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:56:46 AM

prolixitysquared wrote:
early_apex wrote:
arthritis

Ouch. Yes. I don't even want to imagine how awful that must be. I'm still young, but I fear it.

Fear not! Life is to be lived.
MiTziGo
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:59:42 AM

Neurons: 6,142
Epiphileon wrote:

I had an interesting discussion with a couple medical professionals, (they really enjoy dealing with me), when they asked me to rate my pain on a 1-10 scale.
I asked them if at ten I would be passed out due to pain. When they said yes, I said oh so you mean a one to nine scale? Another question that came up was "Is the pain bearable?"
Ummm, excuse me, does that mean if I say yes, you will not be doing anything for it?
Finally when I told them that zero was impossible since all of life is pain, they sent in the psych folks.
Ever notice how med folks don't have much of a sense of humor?

When I was in the hospital, it took me reaching 10 for them to pay attention to the fact that I was in agonizing pain, cause apparently the telling and crying and writhing and vomiting wasn't enough. They were actually going to discharge me and it took me passing out in the wheelchair that they were going to take me out in for them to take my complaints seriously—funny that all of a sudden my condition warranted admission to the hospital and a morphine drip only then and not a moment sooner.

So I would venture to say that in hospital terms, there is no word or descriptor for pain that actually qualifies as valid. You actually need to be unconscious to get any medical attention.
MiTziGo
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:20:45 AM

Neurons: 6,142
dawgteacher wrote:

So because people live in America, they don't have diseases? Chemotherapy and radiation and surgery don't qualify because the patients are not living in squalor in some tent city in India? Please.

There aren't Americans that suffer from hunger or are homeless?
Quote:
36.2 million people lived in households considered to be food insecure.
Of these 36.2 million, 23.8 million are adults (10.6 percent of all adults) and 12.4 million are children (16.9 percent of all children). (2007 U.S. Department of Agriculture)

As for homelessness:
Quote:
Approximately 3.5 million people, 1.35 million of them children, are likely to experience homelessness in a given year (National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, 2007)

Are you saying that just because they live in an affluent country their pain and suffering do not count? Or are you saying that being homeless and hungry in the US is not really suffering? Or perhaps you are saying that the homeless, especially the children, brought it on themselves because how else could they be homeless in America?

We don't even need to get into child abuse, spousal abuse, sexual abuse...the list goes on. But to say that Americans don't know suffering or bring it on themselves seems a little ignorant. Plenty of people here have pain.
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:56:28 PM

Neurons: 6,040
Chicago Cubs fan
ugnani
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:26:36 AM

Neurons: 3
RELIGION