mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Food Additives That Makes You Fat? Options
srkdr68
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 4:10:45 AM

Neurons: 312
Food Additive That Makes You Fat?
By RealAge

Search To keep your waistline trim, you might want to make sure this flavor enhancer doesn't make its way into your mouth: MSG.

Too much monosodium glutamate (MSG) -- an additive used in restaurant and processed foods to boost flavor -- may be a fast track to weight gain, a new study shows
The study researchers suspect MSG might somehow interfere with the signaling powers of appetite-regulating hormones. But while a growing body of research suggests MSG may have negative impacts on weight and appetite hormones.
kitten
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 4:21:45 AM

Neurons: 7,420
I do not know the above source?????????????

MSG, I thought, was considered a protein. Think If is isn't listed as MSG on the ingredients list it is listed at least four other ways. I also thought it was considered part of the palate but I could be wrong about this?????

Umami <<<<< wikipedia

peace out, >^,,^<
thar
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 4:51:36 AM

Neurons: 92,492
I do not know about this study, but about msg in general -

people seem to be scared of it because it has a chemical name. In fact in its original form it is just fermented seaweed extract used as flavouring.

It is now made synthetically, but then so are a vast number of food flavourings and ingredients.

Table salt is processed, and contains additives such as sodium silicoaluminate, but no-one treats monosodium chloride like monosodium glutamate!

Of course to make it even scarier, you can use the official name: Sodium 2-Aminopentanedioate

still just a bacterial fermentation product!
srkdr68
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 5:38:49 AM

kitten wrote:
I do not know the above source?????????????

MSG, I thought, was considered a protein. Think If is isn't listed as MSG on the ingredients list it is listed at least four other ways. I also thought it was considered part of the palate but I could be wrong about this?????

Umami <<<<< wikipedia
peace out, >^,,^<

Have you heard of MSG? It's basically a salt that comes from glutamic acid. Restaurants and food manufacturers use it because it gives flavors a little lift. But that pleasure for your mouth may come at the expense of your hips. People who started a study at a healthy weight but were among the highest MSG consumers -- taking in about 5 grams a day -- were 33 percent more likely to be overweight at the end of the study 5 years later. And, surprisingly, it's not because better-tasting food enticed people to eat more. Eating lots of MSG bumped up the risk of extra pounds, regardless of calorie intake.

http://www.realage.com/tips/does-msg-monosodium-glutamate-cause-weight-gain?eid=1010642668&memberid=15848375
srkdr68
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 5:44:07 AM

thar wrote:
I do not know about this study, but about msg in general -

people seem to be scared of it because it has a chemical name. In fact in its original form it is just fermented seaweed extract used as flavouring.

It is now made synthetically, but then so are a vast number of food flavourings and ingredients.

Table salt is processed, and contains additives such as sodium silicoaluminate, but no-one treats monosodium chloride like monosodium glutamate!

Of course to make it even scarier, you can use the official name: Sodium 2-Aminopentanedioate

still just a bacterial fermentation product!

Have you heard of MSG? It's basically a salt that comes from glutamic acid. Restaurants and food manufacturers use it because it gives flavors a little lift. But that pleasure for your mouth may come at the expense of your hips. People who started a study at a healthy weight but were among the highest MSG consumers -- taking in about 5 grams a day -- were 33 percent more likely to be overweight at the end of the study 5 years later. And, surprisingly, it's not because better-tasting food enticed people to eat more. Eating lots of MSG bumped up the risk of extra pounds, regardless of calorie intake.(Realage)

pedro
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 5:52:32 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Another study puts it down to snacking-particularly late at night. The food additive theory seems the most appealing logically. If we confuse our appetites with chemicals (sometimes designed to do just that)then we can no longer trust our appetites as a guide to our food requirements.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/bad-appetite/201106/does-late-night-snacking-make-you-fat
intelfam
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 7:53:57 AM

Neurons: 3,284

Seems an obvious possibility to me. Pedro sort of sums it up really. I am trying to maintain a low sodium diet - just because there is enough evidence that it screws you up, not for medical reasons. It is a great slimming aid. If you take the salt out of food recipes, the meal tastes bland. I eat less. I can see the obvious that a taste enhancer would make you eat more but was unaware that its effects went beyond that.
MSG is used in oriental cookery. In fact. many moons ago, I can recall there was a fuss in the UK, because we were eating our chinese meals/takeaways with a western palate and were thus not choosing our menu for a meal to get the taste mix that the chinese cooks aimed for. Ah, yes, MSG syndrome (also stereotypically, chinese restaurant syndrome) was the name.

2008 Neuronal death

Obesity MSG

Hmm. note to myself, must chuck away the soy sauce (foreign stuff) Oh, bugger I also have to throw the Worcestershire Sauce away.......

Christine
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 9:59:24 AM

Neurons: 15,842
MSG gives me bad headaches.
xsmith
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 11:22:51 AM

Neurons: 4,497
You can add onion, garlic, celery, basil, curry, sage, oregano, rosemary, black pepper, red pepper, paprika and a bunch of other herbs and spices to help wean yourselves from table salt and msg. They work.

I heard the report you mentioned on the news a short time ago.
antonio
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 11:27:29 PM

Neurons: 2,110
In the Philippines there's a seasoning named MAGIC SARAP (DELICIOUSLY MAGIC) use as an alternative to MSG or UMAMI. It's healthier than MSG.
intelfam
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:05:58 PM

Neurons: 3,284

Maggi Magic Sarap Ingredients

As its name implies, it will make your cooking more delectable. Maybe its not true if your a cooking newbie but such thing is not necessary for a cooking master. Its like the flavor enhancer MSG of Ajinomoto but this Magic Sarap contains more. Lets find out.

Iodized Salt. Obviously, its a salt enriched with iodine. It is used to fight iodine deficiency. Government mandated its use for food preparations.

Monosodium Glutamate. A sodium salt of the naturally occurring non-essential amino acid glutamic acid. Use as a food additive and is commonly marketed as a flavour enhancer. Monosodium glutamate include Ajinomoto, Vetsin, and Accent. It was once predominantly made from wheat gluten, but is now mostly made from bacterial fermentation. It has the so called umami taste. MSG is perfectly safe according long series of studies.

Sugar. The popular table sugar from sugar cane. The standard for industry use is the white or refined sugar. It can be brown sugar or sugar substitute if properly specified.

Chicken Fat. It is a by product of chicken processing. Noted for being high in linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid. Linoleic acid levels are between 17.9% and 22.8%. Don’t be confused. Omega-6 tend to promote heart disease, a reverse effect of omega-3 fatty acid.

Flavor Enhancer. A general term. Anything added to food which helps improve flavor. Its too many, it can be natural or synthetic.

Garlic. Popular as everyday cooking spice. Its flavor may vary in intensity and aroma with the different cooking methods. Often paired with onion, tomato, or ginger.

Onion. A spice used as seasoning in cooking. Slicing onions gonna make you cry.

Spices. Again its a general term. I cannot guess it one by one. According to wikipedia, a spice is a dried seed, fruit, root, bark, or vegetative substance used in nutritionally insignificant quantities as a food additive for flavor, color, or as a preservative that kills harmful bacteria or prevents their growth. In the kitchen, spices are distinguished from herbs, which are leafy, green plant parts used for flavoring.

Natural and Nature Identical Flavors. For the third time, its a general term. According BFAD it refer to flavor preparations composed of substances derived from plant/animal products and/ or chemically synthesized substances whose significant function in food flavoring rather than nutritional.

Egg Powder. Fully dehydrated eggs made by spray drying. A similar method used in powdered milk. Using powder rather than fresh eggs is very convenient in shelf stable food preparations.

Meat Powder. Dehydrated and ground meat. I function as flavoring.

Sound really healthy to me

kingfisher
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:03:16 PM

Neurons: 633
Christine wrote:
MSG gives me bad headaches.

Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. Researchers have been hard-pressed to prove the existence of the so-called Chinese Restaurant Syndrome. When they took supposed sufferers and those who claimed to be unaffected and fed them meals made without MSG or with extra MSG the types and numbers of reactions were not different.

Also, as for MSG making you fat, it seems pretty unlikely given that Japanese people ingest tons of the stuff and are one of the thinnest people on the planet.
HarveySmith
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:47:57 AM

Neurons: 30
Not just people who want to stay young should avoid common food additives if possible, but also by anyone who wants to stay healthy: High fructose corn syrup, Hydrogenated vegetable oil, artificial sweeteners, Sugar, Salt, MSG (Monosodium glutamate) MSG is a common flavor enhancer that is added to dips, sauces, packaged foods, frozen foods, and ethnic foods. Artificial coloring, artificial flavorings and Sodium nitrite etc.