mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
If we used money to buy things with, instead of love and kindness and the desire to please one another, then we should be no... Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,514
If we used money to buy things with, instead of love and kindness and the desire to please one another, then we should be no better than the rest of the world.

L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)
ludic
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 2:04:35 AM

Neurons: 3,544
I don't think any trader would let me buy things on the credit of unbounding love, kindness and complaisance in my heart. Not talking

Hard-earned money, representing our best efforts, should be proudly exchanged against the products obtained which are the best efforts of the seller; with the aim of pleasing ourselves and fulfilling our desires as a reward for our industry.

What pleases us and what our desires are may have their roots in the qualities Mr Baum mentions or may not. Neither is to be ashamed of.
kitten
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:28:18 AM

Neurons: 7,420
Daemon wrote:
If we used money to buy things with, instead of love and kindness and the desire to please one another, then we should be no better than the rest of the world. L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)

The above quote comes from theThe Road to Oz, Chapter 4, "King Dox" (1909)

"Money! Money in Oz!" cried the Tin Woodman. "What a queer idea! Did you suppose we are so vulgar as to use money here?"
"Why not?" asked the shaggy man.
"If we used money to buy things with, instead of love and kindness and the desire to please one another, then we should be no better than the rest of the world," declared the Tin Woodman. "Fortunately money is not known in the Land of Oz at all. We have no rich, and no poor; for what one wishes the others all try to give him, in order to make him happy, and no one in all Oz cares to have more than he can use."
"Good!" cried the shaggy man, greatly pleased to hear this. "I also despise money — a man in Butterfield owes me fifteen cents, and I will not take it from him. The Land of Oz is surely the most favored land in all the world, and its people the happiest. I should like to live here always."

Please thank Wikiquotes for the above information.

peace out, >^,,^<
Thommy
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 5:16:39 AM

Neurons: 464
OK, if I understand him right someone who buys love with money
is a better person than the rest of the world?
Very interesting quote.Applause
Wordscrafter
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 7:26:23 AM

Neurons: 260
In my opinion, it's mixing apples and oranges, here. Love is like the sun, money like the moon. They are different commodities. Many people tend to try and compensate what they miss in any of these comodities (love, money, recognition, richness, etc.)with the opposite. It doesn't work that way. Money is ok, love, too. But they do not apply to the same field.
Hupomone
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 8:51:13 AM

Neurons: 1,431
I haven't read The Road to Oz, so I don't know how people there acquire their needs without money, but the idea is interesting (though impractical). Presumably, Ozzies fulfill their needs through acts reflecting love and kindness and a desire to please others - which, on most levels, is a foreign notion to us self-ish humans. So, I understand why folks might see this as an apples and oranges thing. But it is also a Pay It Forward concept that, if it were practical, would lead to a world of peace, harmony and, perhaps, sinless behavior - where empathy and understanding overruled the basic [human] nature.

Here, however, where reality reigns, love and money can indeed be intertwined "commodities;" for, just as the moon reflects light from the sun, removing darkness, material needs fulfilled through generous donations reflect a warmth of love...These "commodities" can, and often do, work together. Though, not often enough.

Still, imagine a place where the inhabitants were so in touch with one another that empathetic living became a base characteristic. So much so that one's own peace and happiness depended upon maintaining peace and happiness within everyone. I'm not sure if it would be good or bad ultimately, but it would be a place where self took a step back for the sake of peace and happiness. And that would be a very unique society...a place where one might find an ever-loving Wizard.
Wordscrafter
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 9:21:12 AM

Neurons: 260
Well, haven't we all already experienced some confusing situations like trying to be on the same page when defining our happyness and the same notion for others?

Money is factual. You decide a price for a commodity. Buyers agree or not. Buy or not.

Now, what about "love"? Each of us has a different definition of love.

Here, in Europe, all nations - except England - has the same currency by now, euro. Though, how much those nations differ in the way they use, spend, earn that money. They transform a factual commodity into a cultural behaviour. d'oh!
floyd
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 10:51:12 AM

Neurons: 411
floyd
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 10:56:03 AM

I've always had a warm spot for the Tin Man -- but grownups discussing his wisdom?

Give me a break!

nehikat
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:05:45 AM

Neurons: 3
L. Frank Baum was a cretinous, hypocritical parasite who advocated for the mass murder/ethnic cleansing/genocide of Indigenous peoples. His writing about love and justice is a perversity and affront to humanity.
floyd
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:07:28 AM

I don't know how to communicate separately, but, Daemon, how do you build up 4,900 posts in just a little over two years?

What am I not getting?d'oh!

Thanks,

Floyd
MTC
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:11:01 AM

Neurons: 8,606
Congratulations on your prose style, Hupomone. In the Age of Twitter it's a rarity.

As for the quotation, I think Oz represents an aspiration rather than a reality. Baum the moralist intended to stress virtues like Love, Kindness and Selflessness over Materialism (translate "Money".) He was not laying out the city plan for a real place. Baum hoped that by imagining themselves in Oz where the inhabitants are motivated by these virtues, his readers would incorporate more of the same virtues into their daily lives here on Planet Earth.

Baum's biography reads more like The Road to Bankruptcy than it does the Road to Oz. He was forever throwing money at impractical but soul-satisfying investments. Still, to quote lyrics from the musical South Pacific, "If you don't have a dream...How you gonna have a dream come true?"
Bwell
Posted: Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:00:53 AM

Neurons: 5,292
It would be nice not to need money, but that wouldn't be the real world.