mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Biochemical activity Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:09:58 AM

Neurons: 19,430
Nevertheless, they said the discovery contributes to a promising new focus for cancer research: disrupting the biochemical activity that prods cancer cells to spread through the body.

link
http://m.timesofindia.com/home/science/scientists-find-what-causes-spread-of-cancer-new-way-to-stop-it/articleshow/58919062.cms

What is the meaning of "biochemical activity" here?

Is "biochemical" an adjective and "activity" noun?
Higgs271
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:56:07 AM

Neurons: 647,516
Jigneshbharati wrote:
"Nevertheless, they said the discovery contributes to a promising new focus for cancer research: disrupting the biochemical activity that prods cancer cells to spread through the body."

yes

biochemistry is the scientific study of the chemical substances and processes of living matter

so i assume they are referring to the organic and inorganic chemicals that cells and organs use for growth and regulating growth, such as water, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, hormones, proteins, etc.

in contrast with poisoning cancer cells with some external poison (chemotherapy or radiation), or modifying some other activity in the human body such as neural activity, electrical activity, or genetic activity (although biochemical processes can affect and modify those processes in the body)

your body is a huge chemical factory :)

Higgs271
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:10:06 AM

by the way, this finding could be huge... metastasis of a cancer tumor is often what kills you in cancer -- once cancer spreads, it can infect any part of your body, and by then it's usually too late to stop it... so this could be really really good news in the fight against cancer :)

Applause Pray

Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:13:04 AM

Neurons: 19,430
Thanks. Which meaning of "activity" is used here as it has multiple definitions in the dictionaries?
Kunstniete
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 5:16:41 AM

Neurons: 259,261
Hi Jigneshbharati,

the meaning of activity here is "the ability to take part in a chemical reaction or a physiological process". The mentioned drugs seem to disable the cancer cells to receive the specific signal(s) which would affect them to spread through the body.

Btw: I worked with different cancer strains myself and don't think that this article is the answer for all cancers. It's very promising, yes. But "cancer" is not a uniformly disease, it's very various and it always matters which strain or form is targeted. That's the main reason why it's so hard to find cures for all of them, there is no single ultimate drug which cures all forms of cancer (and probably there will never be).
Higgs271
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 5:19:39 AM

Jigneshbharati wrote:
Thanks. Which meaning of "activity" is used here as it has multiple definitions in the dictionaries?

if you're looking at this page:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/activity

then it would be the sixth definition in that first group of defnitions:

6. A physiological process: for example, respiratory activity

also check out the thesaurus entry:

http://www.freethesaurus.com/activity

the fourth item there: functioning

click on that word, functioning, and it says:

noun -- the way in which a machine or other thing performs or functions

in my own words, i'd say an activity in this context is the ongoing execution of a process involving a complex of parts and functions

for example, breathing is an activity our body does automatically, without us having to consciously direct it... it's a complex of parts and functions involving our brain, lungs, muscles (diaphragm), heart, oxygen sensors, feedback loops, blood, etc.

:)
Higgs271
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 5:41:32 AM

Kunstniete wrote:

Btw: I worked with different cancer strains myself and don't think that this article is the answer for all cancers. It's very promising, yes. But "cancer" is not a uniformly disease, it's very various and it always matters which strain or form is targeted. That's the main reason why it's so hard to find cures for all of them, there is no single ultimate drug which cures all forms of cancer (and probably there will never be).

hi Kunstniete :)

i read the article to say it wasn't a cure for cancer, rather it was a way to stop metastasizing -- where a tumor infects the rest of the body :)

granted, different forms of cancer may not respond to the same signals to stop the metastasizing, but perhaps the same principle might apply where disease-specific chemical signals could be found to convince each specific type of tumor not to explode (which is what happens in metastasis, the tumor goes Ka-Boom and spreads death throughout the body) -- this won't stop cancer, but could limit it's devastation :)

we all wish you luck and good fortune in your scientific work against this disease :) and any other diseases you're working to cure :)

Kunstniete
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 6:27:16 AM

Neurons: 259,261
Higgs271 wrote:

i read the article to say it wasn't a cure for cancer, rather it was a way to stop metastasizing -- where a tumor infects the rest of the body :)

Hi Higgs,

ok, point for you ;) But there is no point in stopping metastasis without curing the cancer. The problem with many cancers is that the cells (which are already heavily mutated) are prone for even more mutations. That way, they e.g. bypass different drugs or make them harmless. So if you just add the two mentioned drugs to the therapy, it might stop metastasis, but only as long as it need the cancer to mutate in the right direction to e.g. use another signal to initiate metastasis. The story is so difficult that if you take a sample of the cancer tissue not all of the cells show the same mutational pattern (but now this conversation really moves towards biology ;)