mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
opinion piece: How long can low standards continue boosting high growth? Options
JackH
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:10:44 AM

Neurons: 871
On June 1 2010, the Ministry of Health fine-tuned China's national standard for milk products. Instead of raising the bar for food safety as one may have expected in the wake of the melamine scandal in 2008, the revised standard allowed more germs and less protein in milk.

Supporters have been defending the new low standard as suiting the industry facts of China.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/NEWS/tabid/99/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/662746/How-long-can-low-standards-continue-boosting-high-growth.aspx
thar
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:18:47 AM

Neurons: 92,492
Well, it does solve one problem. If you are allowed less protein in milk, you are less likely to poison people with melamine!

But seriously, what is the point of being a commumist country with massive government control over every facet of people's lives, if you cannot even legislate and enforce food standards!
Dreamy
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:04:41 AM

Neurons: 10,806
I like the title of this post - "Opinion Piece" and my opinion is that Chinese milk leaves a sour taste.
percivalpecksniff
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:33:54 AM

Neurons: 3,404
The West has continually been defining and raising standards in food products. Perhaps Nada Mude has a point

when he says that at present China cannot maintain the high protein levels required by the West. I wonder if

those protein levels set by the West are artificially high and come about by intensive feeding of specially

manufactured feeds.

As to bacteria, well it is not all bad. I was brought up on milk straight from the churn.

It is all very well for us in the West to carp at the standards we deem to be low by our mark but it takes

time to reach the bar when it is set high… and perhaps artificially so.

I wonder how African lands and India would fare under such stringent examination.

I am not here advocating low standards or introducing substances such as melamine. Nor am I denying that we

need to be wary of China’s food products.
Seth
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:44:48 AM

Neurons: 45
China ... with its exploding water-melons overfed with hormones ... How can one say that lowering the food standards is okay when you see that ... Some farmers even got hurt by the sent flying seeds.

I know it's about milk and not the rest, but still, it brings up a recurrent problem in China. People are getting poisoned by the food they are supposed to be able to buy safely.

Now we say less protein in the milk, and more germs, in a country where some people have already a hard time getting a grip on animal proteins (the most efficient proteins by the way). It's like telling to somebody that is hungry to put more water when he makes his soup ... it's the opposite of what should be done ...

So I agree with some previous comments, it tastes sour.
thar
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:53:50 AM

Neurons: 92,492
I think the trouble comes from such rapid industrialisation. I am sure there were such problems in the west when people rapidly changed from accountable food production to unaccountable mass processing. But that is no excuse, it just means China should realise there is potential for fraud and criminality, and ensure it does not happen.

In other countries there is still more local production with local accountability - protein may be lower and bacteria may be higher than in the west, but the problem in China is the scale of the production, the criminality of the companies deliberately poisoning their products and the corruption of the officials who are bought off. And the inability of the people to obtain justice.

One man who did nothing more than inform people of the milk poisoning has been sent to jail for what sounds close to treason. Only China has this combination of lack of control of the companies and complete control of the victims!

quote:
Father of 'toxic milk' child jailed in China for protesting
A man whose five-year-old son was poisoned during China's toxic milk crisis has been jailed for two-and-a-half years after he set up a website to warn other parents about the disease.
JackH
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:43:45 PM

Neurons: 871
thar wrote:
I think the trouble comes from such rapid industrialisation. I am sure there were such problems in the west when people rapidly changed from accountable food production to unaccountable mass processing. But that is no excuse, it just means China should realise there is potential for fraud and criminality, and ensure it does not happen.

In other countries there is still more local production with local accountability - protein may be lower and bacteria may be higher than in the west, but the problem in China is the scale of the production, the criminality of the companies deliberately poisoning their products and the corruption of the officials who are bought off. And the inability of the people to obtain justice.

One man who did nothing more than inform people of the milk poisoning has been sent to jail for what sounds close to treason. Only China has this combination of lack of control of the companies and complete control of the victims!

quote:
Father of 'toxic milk' child jailed in China for protesting
A man whose five-year-old son was poisoned during China's toxic milk crisis has been jailed for two-and-a-half years after he set up a website to warn other parents about the disease.

That's China!