mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Mastering your second language vs learning the fundamentals of other languages Options
thorx89
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:58:19 AM

Neurons: 419
How would you rate the effort required to master your second language where you have already acquired the fundamentals as compared to learning the communicative basics of other languages?
By mastering I mean achieving a level of proficiency in which your written or oral expression is hard to distinguish from that of an educated native speaker.
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 10:11:44 AM

Neurons: 563,379
On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd probably rate it 13. ;-)

In order to get THAT kind of proficiency you'll have to live in the country concerned, or at least spend several longer periods of time there.

It usually takes me almost a week - for example in Britain - to just get used to the speed of conversation again. With reading and writing you can take your time, but oral communication requires a much quicker response. And sometimes I still find myself at a loss because of a word or phrase I had never heard before.

And I don't think I'll ever get as proficient in the English language as Joseph Conrad or Vladimir Nabokov did.
thorx89
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 10:50:59 AM

Neurons: 419
If we were on Facebook, I'd give that numeric evaluation a Like(tm). :D
mailady
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:12:43 PM

Neurons: 2,752
I haven't "mastered" my first language yet.
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:29:44 PM

Neurons: 563,379
With the name 'mailady' you may have 'mistressed' it. :)
Mr. Soria
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:57:26 PM

Neurons: 216
Mr. thorx89:
I am agree whith Mr. IMcRout.
But because I am a sinner, thedestiny sent me to live in the state of Arkansas were the hightest IQ registered is minus 858, and surprisingly many people learn to spike (no write nor read) very easy in diferent lenguages. I mean, if they are working with people from Laos, after short time they start to talk one each other. Bless their hearts!
Casper
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 8:56:25 PM

Neurons: 396
My first language was English, that was why I didn't get the chance to perfect my own language. Anywhere I go, I use English even though I'm from the Philippines-well we are an English-speaking country, even the taxi drivers know how to construct their sentences properly.

jcbarros
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 1:07:52 AM

Neurons: 9,377
You can mastering a second language (English in this case) Does that means you´ll write like Konrad? No way, not even in your first.
Ravindra
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 6:00:16 AM

Neurons: 63,152
Any language having script has four elements: innumerable vocabulary; pronunciation, punctuation and grammar. Mastering such a language is no less than a Herculean feat. And some do claim a sway or mastery over some language/s. They are blessed. I salute them. Incidentally, I love to brief hereunder such mastery in a few Indian languages. There are these blessed scholars in Sanskrit, Telugu and Kannada. I have had the fortune to witness their fete. These erudite scholars cast a spell on language lovers.
Please walk through: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avadhanam
This is a unique character of these languages. And with great respect to English, I presume there is no such skill here. I stand to be corrected.

There are some languages which have no-script.These language are spoken by the people of that area. There are no rules and regulations. And everyone there is a master of that language.

"The unspoken word is your slave. The spoken word becomes your master."
A Persian proverb
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 10:33:20 AM

Neurons: 4,678
Mr. Soria:

I am laughing my a** off....:)Bless your little heart.:)
guitar53
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 12:21:55 PM

Neurons: 290
Mr. Soria,
Arkansas... it could be worse. You could live in Florida, which usually overtakes Arkansas in the annual battle for 'State with the worst High School Graduation rate'. Florida also has the distinction of holding many other similar #1 rankings. I feel your pain.