mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Boys That Bully More Likely to Beat Partners Later Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,814
Boys That Bully More Likely to Beat Partners Later

US researchers say new findings show a link between schoolyard bullying and later domestic abuse, highlighting the importance of addressing bullying behavior in childhood. Thirty eight percent of the men in a recent study who admitted to abusing their partner physically or sexually within the past year also said they had frequently bullied their peers in school. The association was even stronger than for other risk factors linked with domestic violence, such as having suffered abuse as a child. More...
srirr
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:58:59 AM

Neurons: 484,288
The bullying nature starts growing in a person since early age and prevails till the end. They do not care for others and enjoy troubling others.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:22:28 AM

Neurons: 6,180
srirr wrote:
The bullying nature starts growing in a person since early age and prevails till the end. They do not care for others and enjoy troubling others.

There are sure to be many who develop a bullying nature or grow out of one. To my knowledge they don't really enjoy bullying and there's a slim chance they're all psychopaths.

Let's however remember that as a non-student of bullying behaviour I don't know shit about this.
sisikou
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:56:53 AM

Neurons: 4,880
Is it a behavior of imitation?
For those victims, they also have a "victim" character.
DarkMoon
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:07:53 AM

Neurons: 46,684
Only yesterday I read this article on BBC about the other side of domestic violence, where women are convicted of abuse.
Hupomone
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:08:10 AM

Neurons: 1,431
A natural thing for some and imitation for others. Either way, I think habitual bullies enjoy bullying. They would stop if it wasn't fun [or exciting] for them.

Not an expert, though - just commenting.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:30:19 AM

Neurons: 95,885
Like many studies of this sort, I just question how much the results mean. 38 % of men who said they beat their wives, said they were also bullies.

So no-one lied to the researchers and denied they beat their wives? So how accurate is the sample? What about the men who did beat up their wives but not say so? are they less or more likely to be bullies? Are they less self-aware, in denial? Do they have a different trend of histories?

I am not saying do not do studies like this, any info is better than none, but you have got to take these results as a study of bullying abusers AND people who answer this question truthfully!
HWNN1961
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:39:32 AM

Neurons: 9,763
The chain has to be broken:

Grandpa beat daddy, daddy beat me, I take it out on other kids at school. Later in life, I imitate what I saw in my own home: daddy beating mommy. If I have kids, I'll whip them, and so on and on and on.

Intervention is the key:

Relatives that see spouses and kids with unusual bruises.
Neighbors that hear sounds of violence: call the authorities! Sometimes you SHOULD be nosy!
Teachers: if you see bullying behavior, intervene. Do so consistently. There is an "old school" attitude that says "let the kids settle it" that just has to end. Also, if the teacher sees bruising, intervene.

Be your brother (and sisters) keeper. Break the chain.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:58:17 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Again, did we really need expensive research to figure this out ? Bullies tend to remain bullies - an object in motion tends to stay in motion etc. Not rocket science, it would seem.

[ edit ] Well said, H. Jules agrees with us.

Pulp Fiction
written by Quentin Tarantino & Roger Avary

Jules: Well there's this passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." I been sayin' that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never gave much thought what it meant. I just thought it was some cold-blooded shit to say to a motherfucker before I popped a cap in his ass. I saw some shit this mornin' made me think twice. See now I'm thinkin', maybe it means you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9 Milimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. Now I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.