mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Weiner's Wiener Options
HWNN1961
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 11:25:05 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/13/2010
Posts: 3,494
Neurons: 9,763
You just cannot make this stuff up! Who needs comedy when real life is so hilarious.

I don't understand how politicians of all stripe fail to grasp that:

1. Your texts, emails, tweets, whatever your social media of choice, have a life of their own. Use good judgement before you write or post.

2. There are people out there that either want to bring you down for ideological reasons, to further their career at your expense, or to line their own pockets. These people will take advantage of your improprieties.

You'd have to have been living in a monastery for the last several years to miss the parade of humilitated and ruined politicians to miss the warning.

Or is it hubris? Do people like Weiner actually believe that they are different, that their misjudgements and misbehaviors won't stick to them?
AngusSmith
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 11:36:53 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/31/2010
Posts: 70
Neurons: 210
Location: United States
It was very obvious from his statement today that Congressman Weiner was cognizant of item 1. I'm also pretty sure he understands point number 2 as well. So if the only other option is hubris then that must be what it is. However, I still don't understand why I should care about his cyber-sex life.
silver
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:48:31 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 4/26/2011
Posts: 35
Neurons: 91
Location: United States
HWNN1961 wrote:
You just cannot make this stuff up! Who needs comedy when real life is so hilarious.

I don't understand how politicians of all stripe fail to grasp that:

1. Your texts, emails, tweets, whatever your social media of choice, have a life of their own. Use good judgement before you write or post.

2. There are people out there that either want to bring you down for ideological reasons, to further their career at your expense, or to line their own pockets. These people will take advantage of your improprieties.

You'd have to have been living in a monastery for the last several years to miss the parade of humilitated and ruined politicians to miss the warning.

Or is it hubris? Do people like Weiner actually believe that they are different, that their misjudgements and misbehaviors won't stick to them?


This kind of behavior indicates a mindset that believes that consequences are for other people and demonstrates the same logic of a dolt who steps in front of moving vehicles and expects all to come to a screeching halt because they have arrived. Duh yeah, it won't happen to me, nope. Kerwham! He got splattered. Should we feel sorry for the poor misunderstood soul now that his guts are on the pavement for all to see? Sure, there are always self-serving, self-righteous finger pointers and evil and/or distracted drivers in the world, but the bottom line is don't step in front of fast moving vehicles unless you want to be yet another bug on the windshield of life.
Geeman
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:18:30 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2009
Posts: 1,787
Neurons: 125,022
Location: Whittier, California, United States
silver wrote:
This kind of behavior indicates a mindset that believes that consequences are for other people and demonstrates the same logic of a dolt who steps in front of moving vehicles and expects all to come to a screeching halt because they have arrived. Duh yeah, it won't happen to me, nope. Kerwham! He got splattered. Should we feel sorry for the poor misunderstood soul now that his guts are on the pavement for all to see? Sure, there are always self-serving, self-righteous finger pointers and evil and/or distracted drivers in the world, but the bottom line is don't step in front of fast moving vehicles unless you want to be yet another bug on the windshield of life.

OK, fair enough. But I don't know that if this kind of thing were to happen to someone in any other position the consequences would be as big. If someone around here were to send a shot of their package, I doubt even the UPS guy would care. Wiener, for several reasons, is getting a bigger backlash than would someone else. Is it really reasonable to hold public officials to such a standard? Should anyone really care any more than they do about their neighbors? If the guy next door sent me a shot of himself, I'd be annoyed, but I wouldn't try to get him fired.
silver
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:33:55 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 4/26/2011
Posts: 35
Neurons: 91
Location: United States
Geeman wrote:
silver wrote:
This kind of behavior indicates a mindset that believes that consequences are for other people and demonstrates the same logic of a dolt who steps in front of moving vehicles and expects all to come to a screeching halt because they have arrived. Duh yeah, it won't happen to me, nope. Kerwham! He got splattered. Should we feel sorry for the poor misunderstood soul now that http://www.thefreedictionary.com/his guts are on the pavement for all to see? Sure, there are always self-serving, self-righteous finger pointers and evil and/or distracted drivers in the world, but the bottom line is don't step in front of fast moving vehicles unless you want to be yet another bug on the windshield of life.

OK, fair enough. But I don't know that if this kind of thing were to happen to someone in any other position the consequences would be as big. If someone around here were to send a shot of their package, I doubt even the UPS guy would care. Wiener, for several reasons, is getting a bigger backlash than would someone else. Is it really reasonable to hold public officials to such a standard? Should anyone really care any more than they do about their neighbors? If the guy next door sent me a shot of himself, I'd be annoyed, but I wouldn't try to get him fired.

While what you say is absolutely true, keep a few things in perspective. Whenever one chooses to live in a glasshouse, one can expect such scrutiny. Some people are thrust into the public's critical eye out of the blue. He chose his profession knowingly. Whenever a public official holds office, they know they are representing the public and know they are under the public's eye more than anyone -- more than Joe Plumber, more than Suzy Homemaker. They knowingly accept a greater responsibility and a greater accountability when they take office, so please excuse me while I take out then world's smallest violin and emote. Boo hoo!
Truthseeker
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:55:11 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/10/2010
Posts: 275
Neurons: 820
[quote=HWNN1961 Do people like Weiner actually believe that they are different, that their misjudgements and misbehaviors won't stick to them? [/quote]

Yes.
Truthseeker
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:57:27 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/10/2010
Posts: 275
Neurons: 820
Geeman wrote:
If the guy next door sent me a shot of himself, I'd be annoyed, but I wouldn't try to get him fired.


It would only matter if he were a Republican.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:00:13 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2010
Posts: 10,965
Neurons: 32,652
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Now that's what I call junk mail.
HWNN1961
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:19:50 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/13/2010
Posts: 3,494
Neurons: 9,763
I'd prefer that a person's private life be left as that: private. But that's just the point. When you send images and texts onto cyberspace, you have left the private sphere far behind, and are airing your dark side for the world to view.

I don't care about the man's sex life. But, he isn't just Joe six pack. The man is a Congressman. Depending on the committees he sits on, he is privy to some very sensitive information. The sort of behavior that he has been caught up in, and the natural desire to keep it hidden, leaves him wide open to blackmail. There are military and commerical powers in the world that would take advantage of this.
HWNN1961
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:20:30 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/13/2010
Posts: 3,494
Neurons: 9,763
excaelis wrote:
Now that's what I call junk mail.



Next time the UPS man knocks on my door, don't answer. It might be Weiner's package.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:40:01 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2010
Posts: 10,965
Neurons: 32,652
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't think I'll be responding to any more ' private ' messages from Mr Johnson either.

[ edit ] Oh H, I've never heard it called a hubris before; bris is in the ballpark sure, but...
HWNN1961
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:47:50 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/13/2010
Posts: 3,494
Neurons: 9,763
excaelis wrote:
I don't think I'll be responding to any more ' private ' messages from Mr Johnson either.

[ edit ] Oh H, I've never heard it called a hubris before; bris is in the ballpark sure, but...



I'm sure Mr Weiner would likely not pronounce it "hubris" but rather "huge-bris"....hopefully he didn't make the mistake of having a swim before posting any images: who could forget George from "Seinfeld" exclaiming "I was in the pool!! The water was cold!" In that case, the junk mail was likely to have been shrink-wrapped.

Geeman
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:49:04 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2009
Posts: 1,787
Neurons: 125,022
Location: Whittier, California, United States
silver wrote:
While what you say is absolutely true, keep a few things in perspective. Whenever one chooses to live in a glasshouse, one can expect such scrutiny. Some people are thrust into the public's critical eye out of the blue. He chose his profession knowingly. Whenever a public official holds office, they know they are representing the public and know they are under the public's eye more than anyone -- more than Joe Plumber, more than Suzy Homemaker. They knowingly accept a greater responsibility and a greater accountability when they take office, so please excuse me while I take out then world's smallest violin and emote. Boo hoo!

I don't think a public official has nearly the same right to privacy as a private individual, but when something this minor gets this much attention, I think we've lost perspective. It's not like the guy has secret children stashed somewhere. As sex scandals go, this thing hardly qualifies as either sex or a scandal. There are more provocative things on billboards for soft drinks. The outfits worn by some of the female newscasters bringing us the story are more provocative than the picture. I'm sure everyone reading this knows they are just a couple of clicks away from all manner of vulgarity. This thing is a non-event wrapped up in a giant, 24-hour newscycle.

Dare I say they are making a mountain out of a molehill? Sure, it might be the tip of an iceberg, but shouldn't we wait for more of a smoking gun?
silver
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:31:51 PM
Rank: Member

Joined: 4/26/2011
Posts: 35
Neurons: 91
Location: United States
Geeman wrote:
silver wrote:
While what you say is absolutely true, keep a few things in perspective. Whenever one chooses to live in a glasshouse, one can expect such scrutiny. Some people are thrust into the public's critical eye out of the blue. He chose his profession knowingly. Whenever a public official holds office, they know they are representing the public and know they are under the public's eye more than anyone -- more than Joe Plumber, more than Suzy Homemaker. They knowingly accept a greater responsibility and a greater accountability when they take office, so please excuse me while I take out then world's smallest violin and emote. Boo hoo!

I don't think a public official has nearly the same right to privacy as a private individual, but when something this minor gets this much attention, I think we've lost perspective. It's not like the guy has secret children stashed somewhere. As sex scandals go, this thing hardly qualifies as either sex or a scandal. There are more provocative things on billboards for soft drinks. The outfits worn by some of the female newscasters bringing us the story are more provocative than the picture. I'm sure everyone reading this knows they are just a couple of clicks away from all manner of vulgarity. This thing is a non-event wrapped up in a giant, 24-hour newscycle\
Dare I say they are making a mountain out of a molehill? Sure, it might be the tip of an iceberg, but shouldn't we wait for more of a smoking gun?


Yes, it's a sex scandal and is scandalous behavior -- get over it. btw, there were x-rated media not released to the public according to CNN. Send this same kind media over your job's business media and see if your boss or your boss' boss would consider it minor. Better yet,try this: send something private to another private individual; let it leak to your boss' boss and see if he/she thinks it's minor -- I dare you. If it's not scandalous behavior as you maintain, I'm sure your boss would agree and would allow you to keep your job.
kitten
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:18:47 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/28/2009
Posts: 2,463
Neurons: 7,420
Location: the city by the bay
Lovely, NOT. d'oh!

His wife works for Secretary Clinton and has for a long time. She is Muslim and it was said this evening that both the President and Secretary Clinton consider her as a daughter. So much so that Huma (sp) postponed her wedding so as not to compete with Chelsea's.

It was announced today Mrs. Weiner is pregnant and their one year anniversay is shortly coming up. Silenced


After listening to some of his tweets or cyber-space talk. He sounds like a high school braggart wanting to let you know he is well endowed.Boo hoo! It isn't how much you have it is what you do with it..........or so the saying goes.

I liked Weiner and believed in what he said. Now, I need to weigh and balance this as I believe another shoe will drop. This is just the tip of the ice berg. He hasn't told the complete truth. The answers he gave raised more questions, truth be told...........so we shall wait and see.Liar Liar

And for the record I think what Aaahnold did was worse.Liar Shame on you He would have sex with the "help" who sometimes wore Maria's clothes and lipstick Sick and she lived under the same roof whilst also pregnant. I want to know what or who's money was used as a down payment for her house??????? Think

Then you have that jerk John Edwards, running for office, wife has cancer and he is banging the video gal who becomes pregnant. If he used campaign money to hide or pay one penney towards a cover up, he needs to go to jail. Liar

Although, Elizabeth, rest in peace----did know about an affair she kept pushing for him to be president. She is gone but she wasn't a complete victim she just kept her mouth shut when she should have stepped away and left him as soon as she knew. I say this because he could have been our president and that is too icky a thought. Love child, cancer, didn't like to shake hands with the common man..............if found guily he needs to go straight to jail, no plea bargining for him.
JMHO

peace out, >^,,^<
Geeman
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:40:15 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2009
Posts: 1,787
Neurons: 125,022
Location: Whittier, California, United States
silver wrote:
Yes, it's a sex scandal and is scandalous behavior -- get over it. btw, there were x-rated media not released to the public according to CNN. Send this same kind media over your job's business media and see if your boss or your boss' boss would consider it minor. Better yet,try this: send something private to another private individual; let it leak to your boss' boss and see if he/she thinks it's minor -- I dare you. If it's not scandalous behavior as you maintain, I'm sure your boss would agree and would allow you to keep your job.

Well, since you've suddenly made this all about about me rather than the actual subject at hand (always a a good sign of a bad argument) I can only assume that means you think you are yourself immune to the standards you now apply to others. Shall we assume that means you feel yourself up to the challenge you set? Shall we expose your life and see if you can survive the standard you suggest everyone else must abide? Shall we assume that your private life is now no longer private? Will you be posting your personal identifying information so that people can examine your life as critically as you suggest others should be examined?

Nonetheless, its interesting that you should put it in these terms. In fact, I have information about both my boss and my boss' boss that would make any of their efforts to attack me on such a level near suicidal for their own careers.... This is the way a person has to protect themselves these days simply because of people who have an attitude like your own. I am actually more circumspect than the average person because I know that most of Western culture has adopted a wildly disporportionately childish and hypocritical attitude about these things. Personally, I would rather that weren't the case. I would prefer to live in a world where what we did privately didn't have a bearing on what we do professionally. Unfortunately, the childishness you espouse has become the norm, and people are unable to grasp the most simplistic of differences.

If someone were to make an argument that the intelligence of a person who occupies such a position is in doubt, then I'd not argue that particular point. I can't help but wonder, however, if this contiuous appeal to the lowest common denominator in our society as you have isn't dragging us all down.
GabhSigenod
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:52:18 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/22/2010
Posts: 2,371
Neurons: 149,736
Location: Mulroog, Connaught, Ireland
This day and age there is very little privacy for any individual, public or private. Everyone should understand that fact, conduct themselves accordingly, and accept all the consequences of their actions.
Shadowman113
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:40:12 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 6/15/2011
Posts: 6
Neurons: 18
Location: United States
Another media story that I didn't want to hear about has to pop up. Either politicians shape or media have to stop checking if he's taking a picure of his $%&*. I think its more twisted that we all care.
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 1:31:59 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/13/2010
Posts: 3,494
Neurons: 9,763
It's official.


I come not to praise Weiner's wiener...but to bury it.

Somehow, I picture Marc Antony waving a huge condom to infuriate the crowd.

This farce ended as, well..., a farce.



As the man resigned, a plant in the crowd asked rather specific questions about his physiology.


Nice.



Has anyone noticed that Kathy Hochul's amazing victory in the NYS 26th district seems light years ago?

Has anyone notice that the fact that the Republican "fix" for Medicare fiasco has ceased to be germane?


Geeman
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 2:18:54 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2009
Posts: 1,787
Neurons: 125,022
Location: Whittier, California, United States
HWNN1961 wrote:
Has anyone noticed that Kathy Hochul's amazing victory in the NYS 26th district seems light years ago?

Has anyone notice that the fact that the Republican "fix" for Medicare fiasco has ceased to be germane?

You know, it's funny you should mention that kind of thing. I said to a friend the other day that this whole thing had got my conspiracy theory nerves going. Could it all be some political smoke and mirrors? Did someone in the Federal government go up to Weiner and ask him to sacrifice his career on some altar of publicity in order to put up a blind for something they were looking to direct attention away from?

I truth, I don't think it was a conspiracy in any sort of organized sense. But it's interesting to note that the difference between a vast government conspiracy manipulating the masses on a national level and the combination of our lazy media combined with our own gullibility is effectively the same in practice.... There's no need for overlords when things actually are THIS stupid.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.