mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Microsoft Works Options
almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:08:19 PM

Neurons: 7,024
I saw some examples of oxymoron: seriously funny, pretty ugly, old news, Microsoft Works, and intelligent blonde.

I just can't figure out how "Microsoft Works" is oxymoron.

Thank you.
Ramc
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:24:57 PM

Neurons: 21
hey almostfreebird...:)

that is probably coming from a person who is fan of OSX or anyother competitors of microsoft, who feels that microsoft does not give out a good product...and hence the oxymoron "microsoft works"...

not sure if that answers your question... :)
srirr
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:11:13 AM

Neurons: 484,288
That is probably a fun part on Microsoft if not prejudiced. Similarly, intelligent blonde seems to be stereotyped, but it is so common that no one notices.

As Ramc said, it may have come from some rival of MS. I must add here that "works" is not related to the verb "work". MS Works is a package from Microsoft like MS Office. MS Works includes a spreadsheet, word processor and dbms.
IMcRout
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 9:33:27 AM

Neurons: 563,379
All right. Even at the risk of aggravating advanced members I'll add my thoughts.

I agree with (most of) what my esteemed predecessors have written, but I think you're neglecting a few aspects.

Ramc expressed it correctly but very carefully and - to my mind - much too seriously.
srirr says <"works" is not related to the verb "work" ...> .

THIS IS A HUMOROUS STATEMENT or a PUN!
It refers BOTH to the product MS Works AND to the verb 'to work' in the sense of "To have the desired effect or outcome; prove successful" (see definition of 'work' on this site).

It implies that Microsoft does not work, and if you have used MS Windows for about 20 years - as I have - you'd tend to agree.
Up to XP and Windows 7 (both of which I haven't had any trouble with so far) most versions of the Windows OS were wont to crash every now and then, and at he most inconvenient moments, I might add.

My conclusion: Referring to Microsoft Works as an oxymoron is a humorous - albeit somewhat biased - statement by a UNIX/LINUX/MAC user for the above mentioned reasons.
almostfreebird
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 8:34:51 PM

Neurons: 7,024
Thank you!
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 9:19:14 PM

Neurons: 9,763
Reminds me of the old joke about what Microsoft NT stood for: "Not Today".
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 10:55:11 PM

Neurons: 594,898
Hahahah, HW!
NT was the first really working version of Windows, after all.

I can still remember reading the installing guide of Windows 386:
"Put the setup floppy in drive A: and close the door."
excaelis
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 11:13:29 PM

Neurons: 32,652
How many Microsoft support techs does it take to change a light bulb ?

Sorry, that's a hardware problem.
silver
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 11:52:50 PM

Neurons: 91
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Hahahah, HW!
NT was the first really working version of Windows, after all.

I can still remember reading the installing guide of Windows 386:
"Put the setup floppy in drive A: and close the door."

Now you're telling our age. Shhh
Alias
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 10:06:45 AM

Neurons: 1,993
IMcRout wrote:
All right. Even at the risk of aggravating advanced members I'll add my thoughts.

I agree with (most of) what my esteemed predecessors have written, but I think you're neglecting a few aspects.

Ramc expressed it correctly but very carefully and - to my mind - much too seriously.
srirr says <"works" is not related to the verb "work" ...> .

THIS IS A HUMOROUS STATEMENT or a PUN!
It refers BOTH to the product MS Works AND to the verb 'to work' in the sense of "To have the desired effect or outcome; prove successful" (see definition of 'work' on this site).

It implies that Microsoft does not work, and if you have used MS Windows for about 20 years - as I have - you'd tend to agree.
Up to XP and Windows 7 (both of which I haven't had any trouble with so far) most versions of the Windows OS were wont to crash every now and then, and at he most inconvenient moments, I might add.

My conclusion: Referring to Microsoft Works as an oxymoron is a humorous - albeit somewhat biased - statement by a UNIX/LINUX/MAC user for the above mentioned reasons.

Yep that is a very clear explanation and I concur with you Mr Crout except...aint there always an exception?...I have used PCs and Microsoft for decades and I offer the unbiased conclusion that Microsoft (doesnt) Work....Yeah well I have Vista as in Asta la Vista! (like NT, Vista isnt working today so maybe I will see you tomorrow..or not!!!!) All my workplaces have used the bloody MS stuff...
Microsoft = Nerds revenge...(they all use Macs..etc)
they just have jobs as programmers for Bill G