mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Please help me Options
saria86
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:25:55 PM

Neurons: 36
We know that some women preferred to write the word women by "y" instead of "e" to become "womyn" so the word men doesn't exist in the word woman. I've presentation about this topic. I'm preparing it but I need a short video for this topic if you can write a link or a website which I can download a video from it I looked in youtube but I didn't find anything. can you help me please ???
mailady
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:24:16 PM

Neurons: 2,752
I have never heard of this.
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:29:26 PM

Neurons: 9,377
?? Eh?
silver
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:15:57 PM

Neurons: 91
saria86 wrote:
We know that some women preferred to write the word women by "y" instead of "e" to become "womyn" so the word men doesn't exist in the word woman. I've presentation about this topic. I'm preparing it but I need a short video for this topic if you can write a link or a website which I can download a video from it I looked in youtube but I didn't find anything. can you help me please ???

I have not seen this spelling in my neck of the woods (usa -- southern), perhaps in a different country?
jmacann
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:44:07 AM

Neurons: 3,887
If I may ask . . . -w h y?
blahblah
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:57:28 AM

Neurons: 570
Try looking for
"Michigan Womyn's Music Festival" on YouTube.
There are a lot of links.
The Wikipedia article "Womyn," states that this feminist spelling of "women" was coined in 1975 for the music festival.

srirr
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 2:21:48 AM

Neurons: 484,288
?? I never new this. (surprised!)

thar
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 3:57:58 AM

Neurons: 92,492
I think it has been taken up by the feminist alternative new age/ druidic spirituality, and feminist writing. eg the wild womyn movement.

Women who don't want confining paternalistic religiions can move back to mother nature and mother Earth. They have found men are not good at that, they tend to want to control things, so womyn have to have their own place to express themselves without being told what to think.

eg

Our tribe is dedicated to building community and creating a sacred and supportive space for all womyn. Our vision is far-reaching ~ we celebrate the ancient journey of the Feminine Divine from Nymph to Maiden to Mother to Crone An eon has elapsed during which this journey has not been properly honored; but truly, we are just continuing what our primordial grandmothers began.
Womyn Full Moon Drumming
...there will be magic in the air!
Let's all gather and drum with the April Seed Moon!
Ceremony & Drumming 8pm until...
Saturday, April 16th, 2011
dangeralert
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 8:16:14 AM

Neurons: 179
Sounds like whoever came up with this might have been mynstruating.
richsap
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:34:12 PM

Neurons: 1,510
dangeralert wrote:
Sounds like whoever came up with this might have been mynstruating.

LMAO... Thanks for making my Friday FUN! Applause
excaelis
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 7:38:28 PM

Neurons: 32,652
[quote=thar]I think it has been taken up by the feminist alternative new age/ druidic spirituality, and feminist writing. eg the wild womyn movement.

Women who don't want confining paternalistic religiions can move back to mother nature and mother Earth. They have found men are not good at that, they tend to want to control things, so womyn have to have their own place to express themselves without being told what to think.

Except by other, more dominant womyn.

garliconion
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 8:37:33 PM

Neurons: 52
How are they wanting to spe1l woman? I have never heard of the womyn spelling before either. This whole idea seems like a waste of time - a pastime for people who can't find anything important or worthwhile to do.
Romany
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 11:01:36 PM

Neurons: 57,282
I have been really surprised by the number of posters above who have not come across this spelling which, as someone pointed out, has been used for around 40 years - not only by scholars but by feminist writers from all walks of life.

It is not used so much as a 'modern', radical statement, but in fact goes back to the days when spelling had not yet been formalised and people were free to spell words as they liked. The protest, therefore, is directed at the (male)regulaters who, from the many variations then in use, chose to proscribe to-days spelling as the 'correct' one.

In this context, it stands as a protest against the fact that women were never allowed to be in a position to make any choices or take part in any of the rules that govern society - even to the extent of having any input in the way their own gender was spelled. It was part of the CR (concsiousness-raising) movements of the 60's and 70's so I don't actually believe it was ever meant to 'catch-on'.

And judging by the previous posts it looks as though it never did. Though it has fulfilled its function by engendering discussion, hasn't it?

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 11:07:16 PM

Neurons: 594,898
Romany,
You might be interested:
To Be An Afrikan Womyn - Dr. Marimba Ani
(Part 1)
excaelis
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 11:20:16 PM

Neurons: 32,652
While I fully understand the protest, it just seems rather Quixotic. What of mantle, mandible, etc. And whither emyncipation ? I'd no idea archaic spelling could save the world ! ( patronising, no ?)
Romany
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 11:57:27 PM

Neurons: 57,282
Ex - not so much patronising as rather old. (Cutting, no?)

I wasn't defending the usage, but explaining how it came about to those who hadn't come across it before.

I rather think the point was that, unlike the lists of other words that have been given, the feminists of that era were protesting the very word that defined THEM; - women. At that time they were also, remember, still fighting for the rights to govern their own bodies: birth control, abortion etc. Thus the fact that an arbitrary decision on how those very bodies were defined (womyn's/women's bodies) was a further reference to their powerlessness.

So it wasn't an overall objection to any word that contained the root "man" or "men" which would indeed have been a fatuous excercise... but a symbolic reminder.

However, anti-feminists have always deliberately trivialised the movement. Thus they supported their case by presenting anyone who supported the movement for women's rights as 'man-haters' and pounced upon this womyn/women thing as "proof" that its supporters even wanted to excise the word 'man' from their own title!

(Sigh) As the OP is giving a presentation based on this very premise I didn't intend to be confrontational or argumentative but I guess I rose to the bait, huh?
thar
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:53:22 AM

Neurons: 92,492
remember, this is a language where hysterectomy and hysteria have the same root. Just because male doctors could not understand their women patients, they equated women with madness!!

and don't forget the study of herstory, as opposed to history!!!