The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

In a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is... Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,384
In a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is supreme.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC)
Blodybeef
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 2:05:21 AM

Neurons: 615,487
Well, after two millennia, from my viewing point, Aristotle seems to be wrong. Not completely wrong, but wrong in a sense. To soften my statement even more, I'll rephrase my first sentence as "His prediction regarding power in democracy came out to be somewhat wrong."
He is correct in the sense that the people who are worse-off are more than the people who are better-off, therefore in a democracy they should be more powerful. But, I mean, the majority is not only poor, but they can be manipulated easier by the richest %1 of the population, because their means to getting good education is limited as compared to the better-off 19% of the population.
The majority, therefore, must be educated for the sake of the whole society, by collective effort of the %19; for the whole society to be strong against the best-off %1. Because, you know, sometimes the best interests of the %1 may not be completely compatible with the whole society’s best interests.
I think, in the end, I've made a very lousy verbal interpretation of my original feelings about this quote.
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 2:38:14 AM

Neurons: 4,255,933
Aristotle/Quotes

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.

Happiness depends upon ourselves.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.

The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the dead.

All men by nature desire knowledge.
Mehrdad77
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 3:28:32 AM

Neurons: 478,043
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Winston Churchill
Ozolinsh V.
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 4:34:20 AM

Neurons: 136,914
We have democracy here in Russia but it seems a little bit out of order :D
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 5:02:35 AM

Neurons: 306,933
Daemon wrote:
In a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is supreme.

Sometimes all what's left from democracy is the name... And many terrible things happened in the name of democracy.
Joel Souza
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 10:22:08 AM

Neurons: 212,219
A utopic sentence:
monamagda
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 10:32:16 AM

Neurons: 6,386,108

context from: Politics
By Aristotle

Book Six
Part II

The basis of a democratic state is liberty; which, according to the common opinion of men, can only be enjoyed in such a state; this they affirm to be the great end of every democracy. One principle of liberty is for all to rule and be ruled in turn, and indeed democratic justice is the application of numerical not proportionate equality; whence it follows that the majority must be supreme, and that whatever the majority approve must be the end and the just. Every citizen, it is said, must have equality, and therefore in a democracy the poor have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is supreme. This, then, is one note of liberty which all democrats affirm to be the principle of their state. Another is that a man should live as he likes. This, they say, is the privilege of a freeman, since, on the other hand, not to live as a man likes is the mark of a slave. This is the second characteristic of democracy, whence has arisen the claim of men to be ruled by none, if possible, or, if this is impossible, to rule and be ruled in turns; and so it contributes to the freedom based upon equality.

http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/politics.6.six.html
monamagda
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 10:32:55 AM

Neurons: 6,386,108

Context from: Politics
By Aristotle

Book Six
Part II

The basis of a democratic state is liberty; which, according to the common opinion of men, can only be enjoyed in such a state; this they affirm to be the great end of every democracy. One principle of liberty is for all to rule and be ruled in turn, and indeed democratic justice is the application of numerical not proportionate equality; whence it follows that the majority must be supreme, and that whatever the majority approve must be the end and the just. Every citizen, it is said, must have equality, and therefore in a democracy the poor have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is supreme. This, then, is one note of liberty which all democrats affirm to be the principle of their state. Another is that a man should live as he likes. This, they say, is the privilege of a freeman, since, on the other hand, not to live as a man likes is the mark of a slave. This is the second characteristic of democracy, whence has arisen the claim of men to be ruled by none, if possible, or, if this is impossible, to rule and be ruled in turns; and so it contributes to the freedom based upon equality.

http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/politics.6.six.html
Juan Ponce
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 1:41:37 PM

Neurons: 5,316,655
Does not matter, always rich people have the power
thar
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 1:42:10 PM

Neurons: 90,875
Remember he was talking about a different idea of democracy.

Everybody has the vote.
Except slaves. And women. And working people. And anybody not rich enough to be a landowner. His definition of 'poor' is very subjective.

I get very annoyed when people hold up Ancient Greek democracy as some ideal - it is just rule by a leisured class of landowning aristocracy to serve their own interests, in an economy built on slavery. That is what he was talking about.
dave argo
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 6:29:17 PM

Neurons: 65,103
Daemon wrote:

In any democracy the poor are mostly powerless over their poverty--their numbers being greater, so much greater than
the numbers of the rich, that the majority only highlights how little control the poor have in the distribution of essential resources, not to mention wealth or luxury.
In terms of "the will of the majority" being supreme, however many others besides the poor such majority
should include, the supremacy is simply fallacious.

olddogg eleventy2
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 6:34:45 PM

Neurons: 1,691,299
when capitalism is allowed to go unregulated...it throws a big wrench into the machinery of democracy....being an american, my experience with our system is primarily well meaning but very easily corrupted by corporate money, agendas, and life philosophy...... which is only concerned with its perpetuity and of course profit. the images that most democratic societies want to portray is that of equality, harmony and a fair share in its blessings. and i believe that for the most part that is attainable. but i fear it may come to an end, and possibly an abrupt one. the events that are occurring in the world today are a direct political thrust of a global corporate agenda. to keep costs down and have an available cheap workforce make it harder and more expensive to obtain an education. and to keep evey one on edge make sure there is media sensation of some kind to keep people from focusing on real issues.....there are other things that i see...and i'm sure others see it also...if real everday people from every where could some how get together that would be wonderful.......it just makes me shake my head when i talk to some people and they know more about the kardashians than they do about their own futures.......to steal a line from the unfortunate choice of a president, trump......sad, so sad
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 8:16:42 PM

Neurons: 248,087
Daemon wrote:

We owe Mehrdad77 our gratitude for bringing to us Churchill's cynical view, ensconced
in witticism, and in turn hiding his contempt for any majority:
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

The truth is that democracy has done very little to elevate the average man from either poverty or ignorance
before piously proclaiming his will supreme on account of his majority in numbers, only to placate it.