mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Seaweed is from .... Options
Joe Kim
Posted: Sunday, March 5, 2017 10:18:55 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2016
Posts: 725
Neurons: 3,732
1. Seaweed is from under water.
2. ---- under the water.
3. ----- under sea.
4. ----- under the sea.


Is # 1 and 3 correct?
Simon M
Posted: Sunday, March 5, 2017 10:50:34 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 11/19/2016
Posts: 8
Neurons: 39,339
Location: Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy
I'd say 2 or 4. Under water, also spelled underwater, is more used as an adverb like to swim underwater
taurine
Posted: Monday, March 6, 2017 5:10:17 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/20/2016
Posts: 2,693
Neurons: 176,227
Location: South Dublin, Ireland
I am sorry but I thought that seaweed is from Sweden.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, March 6, 2017 6:17:05 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 46,137
Neurons: 656,139
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Seaweed is growing in the sea, whether it's underwater plant or floating.
sureshot
Posted: Monday, March 6, 2017 8:30:27 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2015
Posts: 3,014
Neurons: 489,043
Joe Kim wrote:
1. Seaweed is from under water.
2. ---- under the water.
3. ----- under sea.
4. ----- under the sea.
Is # 1 and 3 correct?

________________

To me, all the four sentences require improvement/correction. "Seaweed" is the common name for countless species of marine plants and algae that grow in the ocean as well as in rivers, lakes, and other water bodies. Seaweeds more commonly grow in depths above 100 m but a few have been found at depths of 295 m. Taking all these factors into consideration I would prefer to rewrite the sentence as:

- Seaweed generally grows in oceans.



Joe Kim
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 10:15:34 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2016
Posts: 725
Neurons: 3,732
sureshot wrote:
Joe Kim wrote:
1. Seaweed is from under water.
2. ---- under the water.
3. ----- under sea.
4. ----- under the sea.
Is # 1 and 3 correct?

________________

To me, all the four sentences require improvement/correction. "Seaweed" is the common name for countless species of marine plants and algae that grow in the ocean as well as in rivers, lakes, and other water bodies. Seaweeds more commonly grow in depths above 100 m but a few have been found at depths of 295 m. Taking all these factors into consideration I would prefer to rewrite the sentence as:

- Seaweed generally grows in oceans.





Thank you.

Then with your example, if I reconstruct it again, which would correct this time?

1. Seaweed grows in(under) sea
2. Seaweed grows in(under) the sea
3. Seaweed grows in(under) water / the water
sureshot
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 5:02:00 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2015
Posts: 3,014
Neurons: 489,043
Joe Kim wrote:

Then with your example, if I reconstruct it again, which would correct this time?

1. Seaweed grows in(under) sea
2. Seaweed grows in(under) the sea
3. Seaweed grows in(under) water / the water[/color]

___________________________

I would prefer to say:

2. Seaweed grows in the sea.

Seaweed usually grows in oceans. It is also found in rivers, lakes, and other water bodies. Since you are not talking of any definite/specific "water", article "the" is not required. The word "water" is being used in the generic sense. Sentence 3 could be:

3. Seaweed grows in water.

Note: All types of seaweed do not grow underwater. In some species, a part of the seaweed can be above water too. Hence, the use of preposition "under" is best avoided unless you mention the name of the specie and are certain that it grows completely below the surface of water. The use of preposition "in" should suffice for various varieties of seaweed.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 11:06:59 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/3/2016
Posts: 1,616
Neurons: 88,117
Location: Jandiāla Guru, Punjab, India
Joe Kim writes since

"Seaweed" is the common name for countless species(denotes plural) of marine plants and algae, why not say;

SEAWEEDS GROW IN OCEANS.


seagrass - any of various seaweeds that grow underwater in shallow beds; "seagrass provides a protective environment in which young fish can develop". (TFD)

I don't know, why the article, 'the' has not been used with 'seaweeds' or 'seagrass'.

Teachers, please help.
Joe Kim
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 1:27:17 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2016
Posts: 725
Neurons: 3,732
sureshot wrote:
[quote=Joe Kim]


2. Seaweed grows in the sea.

Seaweed usually grows in oceans. It is also found in rivers, lakes, and other water bodies. Since you are not talking of any definite/specific "water", article "the" is not required. The word "water" is being used in the generic sense. Sentence 3 could be:

3. Seaweed grows in water.



Thank you sureshot,

Then can you tell me why SEA needs "the"? Why do you put the with sea? Am I referring to something specific? If you think it's because it's only one, outer space is only one; dock by seashore is several (but no the); downtown is only one but no "the".

sureshot
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 5:01:25 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2015
Posts: 3,014
Neurons: 489,043
Joe Kim wrote:
sureshot wrote:
[quote=Joe Kim]


2. Seaweed grows in the sea.

Seaweed usually grows in oceans. It is also found in rivers, lakes, and other water bodies. Since you are not talking of any definite/specific "water", article "the" is not required. The word "water" is being used in the generic sense. Sentence 3 could be:

3. Seaweed grows in water.



Thank you sureshot,

Then can you tell me why SEA needs "the"? Why do you put the with sea? Am I referring to something specific? If you think it's because it's only one, outer space is only one; dock by seashore is several (but no the); downtown is only one but no "the".


___________________________


"The" is used with a lot of general expressions that refer to our physical environment - the world around us and its climate. To elaborate a little more, we use "the" with things known to everyone (the sun, the stars, the moon, the earth, the planet) because they are a part of our physical environment or part of the natural world. The use of "the" apparently suggests shared experience or knowledge e.g.

- My father likes the sea, but my mother prefers the mountains. (Here, both "sea" and "mountains" are general expressions that refer to the environment.)

I hope it is now clear why we use "the" before "sea".

leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 5:15:00 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 8,589
Neurons: 31,166
Location: Miami, Florida, United States
Joe Kim wrote:

Then can you tell me why SEA needs "the"? Why do you put the with sea? Am I referring to something specific? If you think it's because it's only one, outer space is only one; dock by seashore is several (but no the); downtown is only one but no "the".


There is no reason; this is simply how it has evolved by consensus and convention. We might as well ask why there is a distinction in meaning for "water", "the water", and "the waters".
Joe Kim
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:56:30 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2016
Posts: 725
Neurons: 3,732
Thank you Sureshot and everyone for your help.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.