The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

ENGLISH Options
CONDOR
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:29:54 AM

Neurons: 9
Please explain the difference between the incident and accident?
DarkMoon
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:00:20 AM

Neurons: 46,684
I think that a very good and clear explanation of both words along with their synonyms, you can find in the Free Dictionary.

Incident - a single distinct event:
1. A definite and separate occurrence; an event. See Synonyms at occurrence.
2. A usually minor event or condition that is subordinate to another.
3. Something contingent on or related to something else.
4. An occurrence or event that interrupts normal procedure or precipitates a crisis: an international incident.

Accident - an unfortunate mishap:
a. An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: car accidents on icy roads.
b. An unforeseen incident: A series of happy accidents led to his promotion.
c. An instance of involuntary urination or defecation in one's clothing.
2. Lack of intention; chance: ran into an old friend by accident.
3. Circumstance or attribute that is not essential to the nature of something.

The difference is in randomness of appearance. You can somehow predict an appearance of incident, as a result of your action or previous occurences, while an accident is a coincidental event.
aldi09
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:53:18 PM

Neurons: 48
INCIDENT
1 : an unexpected and usually unpleasant thing that happens [count]
▪ We just want to put that embarrassing incident behind us. ▪ Two people were shot yesterday in two separate incidents. ▪ Aside from a few isolated incidents, the crowd was well-behaved. ▪ a shooting incident ▪ Many such incidents go unreported. [noncount] ▪ The suspects were arrested without incident. [=without any unexpected trouble]
2 [count] : an event or disagreement that is likely to cause serious problems in relations between countries
▪ a border incident ▪ The bombing caused/provoked an international incident.

ACCIDENT
[count] 1 : a sudden event (such as a crash) that is not planned or intended and that causes damage or injury
▪ We got in a car accident. = We had a car accident. ▪ a traffic accident ▪ a fatal accident ▪ a motorcycle accident ▪ He was injured in an accident at work. ▪ The accident happened when her car slid on a patch of ice. ▪ Investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the accident. ▪ “I'm sorry that I broke the bowl.” “That's OK. It was just an accident.” = “That's OK. Accidents will happen.” ◊An accident waiting to happen is a person or thing that is dangerous or unsafe.
▪ My brother is the clumsiest person I know. He's just an accident waiting to happen.
2 : an event that is not planned or intended : an event that occurs by chance
▪ Their meeting was an accident. ▪ It is just an accident that they arrived when they did. ▪ She says that her pregnancy was an accident. ▪ His wealth is a mere accident of birth. [=he is wealthy only because he was born into a wealthy family] ▪ He says that no one is to blame for his illness. It was just an accident of nature. [=something that happened naturally] ▪ It is no accident that the assistant he hired is so good-looking. [=he deliberately chose a good-looking person to be his assistant]
by accident
: in a way that is not planned or intended
▪ They met by accident. [=by chance] ▪ She says that she became pregnant by accident. [=unintentionally] ▪ Scientists discovered the vaccine almost/quite/entirely by accident. ▪ Did it happen by accident [=accidentally] or by design?
srirr
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:10:39 AM

Neurons: 484,288
Incident is any event or any happening, while accident is unexpected or unplanned or by chance.

Normally, accident is taken as unpleasant, but it is not always true. For example,
I met my old friend at the mall accidentally.

Sometimes a planned and expected event can be termed as accident, if the outcome becomes undesirable.
e.g., His marriage was an accident.