mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
And, then, there's this view - Options
Listening . . .
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 2:09:25 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 964
Neurons: 3,950
http://urbanmecca.net/news/2017/01/27/white-trump-supporter-leaves-black-waitress-450-tip/

“We have to think about being better Americans, we have to look into ourselves and how we treat one another,” he said. “If everyone did a little something to show respect…we can love one another.”

Harris was touched by the gesture and as an aspiring dancer admitted that the unexpected tip was a huge “a huge weight off my shoulders”. “You automatically assume if someone supports Trump that they have ideas about you,” she said. “but [the customer was] more embracing than even some of my more liberal friends, and there was a real authenticity in our exchange.”


Maybe some of the Trump haters in this Politics section should heed these words. Think
Romany
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 3:57:41 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 17,703
Neurons: 57,358
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom


Listening, my old mate,

There's nothing political about kindness, empathy or compassion.Dancing There are kind people and unkind people in the world. There are different colours and sexual orientation and genders and politics.

But fortunately, these don't dictate goodness or badness. Applause
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 5:25:42 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,201
Neurons: 486,046
Location: Cambridge, Minnesota, United States
Listening...
You will never respond to this, so what I say here is for the benefit of everyone else Whistle

The left has always been about being better Americans. We have been peacefully protesting, creating jobs, paying taxes, being employees and managers and CEOs. We have been standing beside you in the public bathrooms, sitting next to you on the bus and in the airport. We have been providing your public services and serving in our military.

We do all these things every day with people who get online and wish us dead. We try to have discussions online and are told that we are un-American, traitors, and terrorists.

Now, we are being told that an insult to a public figure is the same as insulting you, Listening and Hedy and FounDit, etc. We are being told that telling the truth is an insult. We are being told that facts are traitorous and Un-American.

And to top it off. We are being told to shut up, because you don't agree with us. Well Listening, guess what our response to that is going to be.

You can vilify the left all you want, but you are the ones with the guns and the threats and the hatred.
Listening . . .
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 3:16:33 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 964
Neurons: 3,950
Romany wrote:


Listening, my old mate,

There's nothing political about kindness, empathy or compassion.Dancing There are kind people and unkind people in the world. There are different colours and sexual orientation and genders and politics.

But fortunately, these don't dictate goodness or badness. Applause


I agree wholeheartedly. We shouldn't be judged by who we support politically. We should be judged on our own actions.
Listening . . .
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 3:21:11 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 964
Neurons: 3,950
progpen wrote:
Listening...
You will never respond to this, so what I say here is for the benefit of everyone else Whistle

The left has always been about being better Americans. We have been peacefully protesting, creating jobs, paying taxes, being employees and managers and CEOs. We have been standing beside you in the public bathrooms, sitting next to you on the bus and in the airport. We have been providing your public services and serving in our military.

We do all these things every day with people who get online and wish us dead. We try to have discussions online and are told that we are un-American, traitors, and terrorists.

Now, we are being told that an insult to a public figure is the same as insulting you, Listening and Hedy and FounDit, etc. We are being told that telling the truth is an insult. We are being told that facts are traitorous and Un-American.

And to top it off. We are being told to shut up, because you don't agree with us. Well Listening, guess what our response to that is going to be.

You can vilify the left all you want, but you are the ones with the guns and the threats and the hatred.



Funny. I am the one filled with hatred? You don't sound peaceful, compassionate, understanding, or promoting of unity in your post. My post was about love and kindness and humanity. That just doesn't fit into your understanding of a Trump supporter, does it? Oh...the irony and hypocrisy of it all!?d'oh!
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 4:40:54 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,201
Neurons: 486,046
Location: Cambridge, Minnesota, United States
Listening . . . wrote:
Oh...the irony and hypocrisy of it all!?d'oh!


Why yes the hypocrisy is rather pathetic isn't it Listening. I might have thought you could do better. The aggressor blaming the pacifist is really quite an old technique, but I guess expecting originality might be asking a little too much.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 10:16:48 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 14,453
Neurons: 68,757
Hi Listening...,

I read this post only because I saw your name on it. Great story, huh?!

And a great first week, also!!...Applause Applause Applause

We'll get there...Dancing
will
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 11:04:25 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,167
Neurons: 4,830
Trump supporters doth protest too much, methinks. Think


.
Listening . . .
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 11:49:30 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 964
Neurons: 3,950
FounDit wrote:
Hi Listening...,

I read this post only because I saw your name on it. Great story, huh?!

And a great first week, also!!...Applause Applause Applause

We'll get there...Dancing



I suspect stories like the one I posted happen more frequently than what is covered in the media. The truth is...when true kindness is the driving force, no further "pat on the back" is needed. People are kind simply because it makes them feel good knowing they made someone else feel good.

Based on the left's view of how they see themselves, I would have thought this story would have touched them, too. I posted it hoping to find a place of unity - to humanize the demonized, vilified Trump supporters. To no avail, I see. Anxious

I am not 100% in with all of this week's actions but I am feeling positive we are on the right track. I am watching closely. Freedom and Liberty are at the core of what I hope is protected.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 12:15:45 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,563
Neurons: 54,659
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the story, Listening. I will say to you what the only responder, Jacobusmaximus, said to me when I posted a similar "feel-good" story a while back - he said "Thanks for the story, Hope. And thanks for the hope, Hope." So thanks for the hope.

These kinds of stories warm our hearts but the headline uses it as political and racist fodder. It should just be an example of human kindness. There is lots of human kindness out there and I believe most people are good and have empathy for others.

Unfortunately we usually hear the negative stories because that is what sells in the news. Humans are wired to search out the negative because that is how we survive by finding danger before it finds us.
Listening . . .
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 12:33:50 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 964
Neurons: 3,950
Hope123 wrote:
Thanks for the story, Listening. I will say to you what the only responder, Jacobusmaximus, said to me when I posted a similar story a while back - he said "Thanks for the story, Hope. And thanks for the hope, Hope." So thanks for the hope.

These kinds of stories warm our hearts but the headline uses it as political and racist fodder. It should just be an example of human kindness. There is lots of human kindness out there and I believe most people are good and have empathy for others.

Unfortunately we usually hear the negative stories because that is what sells in the news. Humans are wired to search out the negative because that is how we survive by finding danger before it finds us.



Thank you, Hope, for your thoughtful post. I am a forever optimist. Hope will never be lost, in my mind.

I think the story used the political and racist angle because that is at the core of our current division. The journalist who covered the story was, likely, trying to accomplish the same goal I pursued. Showing that a white Trump supporter was kind and friendly and hopeful and generous to a black female...Doesn't that go against what everyone on the left side believes is true? Of course it does.

It'd be a curious experiment if someone could put all the posters from this forum in a room together...wonder how long it would take to realize that our party line views don't define us as people. Think
Listening . . .
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 12:36:59 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 964
Neurons: 3,950
progpen wrote:
Listening . . . wrote:
Oh...the irony and hypocrisy of it all!?d'oh!


Why yes the hypocrisy is rather pathetic isn't it Listening. I might have thought you could do better. The aggressor blaming the pacifist is really quite an old technique, but I guess expecting originality might be asking a little too much.


Ok, Prog, answer me this...How would your first response to the post have changed had Hope (for example) posted it? I am certain it would not have been as combative. Interesting thought, isn't it? Here's another interesting question: Why is the pacifist so aggressive?
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 12:43:04 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,563
Neurons: 54,659
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Quote Listening - "Doesn't that go against what everyone on the left side believes is true? Of course it does."

Sorry, no it doesn't. That is an incorrect perception. That is a simplistic stereotype. Edited - it stood out like a red flag to me.

:::

I take back one part of my previous post - JCB was not the only poster. Drago posted later as well.

The story was about a trooper's kindness - at a time when there is also contention all over the world between police and those they are there to help.


http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst159522_A-Christmas-Eve-Tearjerker.aspx

March Hare
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 1:04:49 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/4/2014
Posts: 306
Neurons: 2,207,335
Location: Zedelgem, Flanders, Belgium
What is most puzzling to me is this: how do you combine believing that people should be kind and friendly and hopeful and generous with supporting a president who refuses to offer shelter to people who are fleeing from war and persecution, simply because they are Muslim?
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 1:06:31 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,201
Neurons: 486,046
Location: Cambridge, Minnesota, United States
Listening . . . wrote:
progpen wrote:
Listening . . . wrote:
Oh...the irony and hypocrisy of it all!?d'oh!


Why yes the hypocrisy is rather pathetic isn't it Listening. I might have thought you could do better. The aggressor blaming the pacifist is really quite an old technique, but I guess expecting originality might be asking a little too much.


Ok, Prog, answer me this...How would your first response to the post have changed had Hope (for example) posted it? I am certain it would not have been as combative. Interesting thought, isn't it? Here's another interesting question: Why is the pacifist so aggressive?


Hi Listening. Glad to see you actually respond to a post of mine. The reason that my response would have been different is this:
Maybe some of the Trump haters in this Politics section should heed these words.
The post up to that point was legitimate and I would have responded the same as if Hope had posted something similar. However, since you could not resist putting that one insult in there, I saw the post for what it was. Just another passive aggressive insult.

So hopefully you will be able to see the difference and also see that I do not insult you, but I insult Trump and other public figures. You respond by insulting us, which is what you do because you cannot read our posts without taking them as insults to you personally (which they are not).

When you insult Clinton, I do not take that personally because I'm not Hillary Clinton and my identity is not defined by her. Since that doesn't work you then insult us personally. There is the difference.
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 1:15:50 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,201
Neurons: 486,046
Location: Cambridge, Minnesota, United States
Listening . . . wrote:
Here's another interesting question: Why is the pacifist so aggressive?


Why do you see my posts as being aggressive? Am I insulting you? If so, please show me evidence. Otherwise, all I can do is disregard your statement as being unsubstantiated and a very obvious attempt at diverting blame.
Listening . . .
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 2:22:19 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 964
Neurons: 3,950
Prog,
I'll have to work on viewing posts against Trump supporters as personal insults toward me. The protesters against Trump were physically attacking those they identified as Trump supporters. I guess I just transferred those physical actions to words on a forum. If you say you're not insulting me then . . . I'll take your word for it.
You will have to help me understand the violence displayed by the protesters. Destroying businesses of hard-working Americans, burning vehicles, and physical attacks do not sound pacifist to me.

At this point, I am hoping for the benefit of the county that our President is successful. I do not agree with his every action and I will contact his office directly when I am concerned and can offer an alternate solution. It's important to remember that our success depends on his success. As Americans we can remember that we are all on the same team.

Cheers to celebrating our differences and embracing change...again.
Listening . . .
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 2:35:01 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 964
Neurons: 3,950
March Hare wrote:
What is most puzzling to me is this: how do you combine believing that people should be kind and friendly and hopeful and generous with supporting a president who refuses to offer shelter to people who are fleeing from war and persecution, simply because they are Muslim?


March,
This is a fair question. Our President's allegiance is to America and the American people. We have been under attack by Muslim extremists and it is impossible to identify by physical traits whether a Muslim is peaceful or a Jihadist. In order to maintain a level of control, he is limiting the influx of all. If you have a solution to identifying those who don't plan to kill innocent Americans (or Parisians or English or Germans or Belgians or anywhere else), please share. Offering refugees safety from the ugliness of war is of utmost importance but we must protect Americans first.
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 2:59:20 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,201
Neurons: 486,046
Location: Cambridge, Minnesota, United States
Listening. I had to check on the violence portion of this. Here is a link.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/politics/trump-inauguration-protests-womens-march/

Looks like 217 people were arrested. Since there were pro-Trump and anti-Trump protesters, do we know how many of each were arrested?

Any violent protesters should be arrested. That still leaves nearly 2 million protesters who were not violent. I support those protesters.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 4:01:38 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,563
Neurons: 54,659
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Listening . . . wrote:
March Hare wrote:
What is most puzzling to me is this: how do you combine believing that people should be kind and friendly and hopeful and generous with supporting a president who refuses to offer shelter to people who are fleeing from war and persecution, simply because they are Muslim?


March,
This is a fair question. Our President's allegiance is to America and the American people. We have been under attack by Muslim extremists and it is impossible to identify by physical traits whether a Muslim is peaceful or a Jihadist. In order to maintain a level of control, he is limiting the influx of all. If you have a solution to identifying those who don't plan to kill innocent Americans (or Parisians or English or Germans or Belgians or anywhere else), please share. Offering refugees safety from the ugliness of war is of utmost importance but we must protect Americans first.


What you do is vet them. You pick from certain areas, perhaps where people have been living in camps for years. No jihadist is going to do that. You pick families with children, although there are some single males who have been settled here. Canada and other countries have taken these refugees without incident. 39,671 in 2016 in Canada so far. And private sponsors are getting annoyed that things are not moving fast enough because it takes time for them to check these people out carefully. It is not the same as in Europe where they were able to just cross without being vetted.

There have been wonderful stories about how these refugees are settling in. Feel good stories about how they in turn did a good deed to help their neighbors. How one family in a couple of months is running a successful chocolate business, I believe it was in Toronto. And so forth. We have taken in people with health problems, knowing it will be us paying their healthcare. Many of them are sick after being in camps for so long.

They add to our economy and they add to our Canadian diversity.

This is Canada and we will not tolerate racist, sexist, homophobic hatred, whether it comes from a member of a church, from the President of the United States, or from two political wannabe leaders of the Conservative Party when the leadership contest comes up shortly (who are mimicing Trump in hopes of being elected. After all it worked for him).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/welcome/
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 6:01:44 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,563
Neurons: 54,659
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Listening, I just saw this news. How do you square the fact that people with Visas are left stranded? Valid Visa holders who have been vetted and lived in the States but maybe went home for the holidays, have been barred from the country and cannot resume their classes. This happened even before Trump gave the order.


http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officials-say-visas-were-being-revoked-prior-trump-s-executive-n713546

"Essentially all valid visas are irrelevant now," the official said. "And they have been before the order."

The Department of Homeland Security did not immediately return a request for comment. A State Department spokesperson said the department was prohibited from commenting on individual visa cases.

The American Association of Immigration Lawyers also advised caution. In a statement released one day before Trump's executive order, the group said to "consider advising clients who might be affected by the Executive Order to refrain from traveling outside of the United States if they are already here, or try to return to the United States as soon as possible if they are outside of the country."

Since Trump's order does not define what it means to be "from a country," the order should be read to include "passport holders, citizens, nationals, dual nationals, etc." "in an abundance of caution," the statement added.

::::;

Are these executive orders ever countermanded? He seems to be on a roll of a long list.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 10:35:06 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,563
Neurons: 54,659
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Developing story - judge bars US from deporting travelers with valid visas

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/judge-bars-us-from-deporting-travelers-with-valid-visas-covered-by-trump-order/

Family quit jobs, school, barred at airport - applied because afraid for lives.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/iraqi-family-stuck-airport-barred-flying-jfk/story?id=45113420

Edited - I hope the judge's order helps this family - story on above link.


"I've been told by the counter officer that we are not allowed to enter United States as per new executive order," Sharif said, as he and his family were stranded in limbo at the Cairo airport. "Our visas are legal and valid until May 2017. And I've received this visa because I put my life in jeopardy working with American government."

Sharif said he worked for RTI International, an NGO that partners with USAID.

"For the terrorists if you work for the Americans you become a target, they consider you an infidel," he said.

He also said that was why he applied for immigration: He was concerned for his and his family's safety.

It took Sharif more two years to receive legal, valid immigration visas for himself and his family and $5,000 for tickets, all of which "went down the drain," he said. They were travelling on a Special Immigrant Visa for Iraqis for the work he did with the U.S. in Iraq."
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:30:14 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 1,196
Neurons: 688,554
Location: Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
Listening . . . wrote:
March Hare wrote:
What is most puzzling to me is this: how do you combine believing that people should be kind and friendly and hopeful and generous with supporting a president who refuses to offer shelter to people who are fleeing from war and persecution, simply because they are Muslim?


March,
This is a fair question. Our President's allegiance is to America and the American people. We have been under attack by Muslim extremists and it is impossible to identify by physical traits whether a Muslim is peaceful or a Jihadist. In order to maintain a level of control, he is limiting the influx of all. If you have a solution to identifying those who don't plan to kill innocent Americans (or Parisians or English or Germans or Belgians or anywhere else), please share. Offering refugees safety from the ugliness of war is of utmost importance but we must protect Americans first.


If I am getting this right, Listening, you gave us an anecdote about a friendly white Trump supporter to show the Left how wrong it is to vilify all Trump supporters. Yet some Muslim extremists make it justified to vilify all Muslims?

ETA: As for the solution you ask for, it would make a little bit more sense for Trump to target the countries the terrorists actually came from.
will
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 7:09:50 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,167
Neurons: 4,830
FounDit wrote:
Hi Listening...,

I read this post only because I saw your name on it. Great story, huh?!


Classic echo chamber behaviour. Why am I not surprised? Think



.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:52:19 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,563
Neurons: 54,659
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada


[image not available]
FounDit
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:39:34 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 14,453
Neurons: 68,757
will wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Hi Listening...,

I read this post only because I saw your name on it. Great story, huh?!


Classic echo chamber behaviour. Why am I not surprised? Think
.


You can read all the posts in this topic or the politics forum and STILL think Listening... and I are the echo chamber?

There is no hope for anyone that willfully blind.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:55:51 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,563
Neurons: 54,659
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
I don't think Will included Listening in his post, FD.

Since only a couple of Republicans showed they do not support the Muslim ban, I'm assuming this is what they and you (an atheist) and Listening and Hedy and Mack et al support. -

"Cause the flag still stands for freedom, And they can't take that away" - Trump just did.


Americans are not free anymore. Not if you are Muslim. Not even with a Visa. Christian refugees are welcome. Muslims banned. Freedom of religion, the foundation of the USA - gone. Christian values of 'love thy neighbor' - gone.

Other minorities beware.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 12:22:38 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/26/2014
Posts: 1,203
Neurons: 1,422,202
Hope123 wrote:
Americans are not free anymore. Not if you are Muslim. Not even with a Visa. Christian refugees are welcome. Muslims banned. Freedom of religion, the foundation of the USA - gone. Christian values of 'love thy neighbor' - gone.


So what's to stop the Muslims from simply saying that they're Christian? Nothing. They can shave their beards, carry a bible, whatever. Now they have guaranteed entry. The policy is half-baked just like most things tRump has done.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 12:44:30 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,563
Neurons: 54,659
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
Americans are not free anymore. Not if you are Muslim. Not even with a Visa. Christian refugees are welcome. Muslims banned. Freedom of religion, the foundation of the USA - gone. Christian values of 'love thy neighbor' - gone.


So what's to stop the Muslims from simply saying that they're Christian? Nothing. They can shave their beard, carry a bible, whatever. Now they have guaranteed entry. The policy is half-baked just like most things tRump has done.


Apparently President Bannon was the driving force behind the ban. He is the driving force behind Trump's controversial executive orders. He is a self-described Leninist who boasted at a party that his goal was to destroy the conservative establishment - indeed destroy the whole state. Of course he denies he said that.

Bannon will now have a seat on the principals committee of the National Security Council, while the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff will not. Weird. Not allowed to do anything but listen when it involves your department.

Correction - they will only be allowed to sit in when it invoves their responsibilities.

Bannon's Quiet Power Grab

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/stephen-bannon-national-security

Re National Security - "According to the memo, the director of national intelligence and the joint chiefs of staff will only attend the high-level meetings when the topics of discussion relate to their “responsibilities and expertise,” The Washington Post reports."


Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 1:20:39 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/26/2014
Posts: 1,203
Neurons: 1,422,202
Listening . . . wrote:
Our President's allegiance is to America and the American people.


Really? Are you sure? tRump's a pathological liar. He'll say anything.


How to Spot a Pathological Liar
http://www.wikihow.com/Spot-a-Pathological-Liar

Many of tRump's traits are right there.
will
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:21:43 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,167
Neurons: 4,830
Hi Hope123...

I read your post only because I saw your name on it… what did FounDit say? Was it a reasoned rebuttal of any of the points that have been made in this or any of the other threads, or more ‘Nah! Nah! Your gang are all poopy heads’?


Whistle
.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 12:25:08 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,563
Neurons: 54,659
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Will,

I agree with you here and we have shown we don't always agree but can still be agreeable while disagreeing. :)

I think Romany's explanation to you on this thread explains quite well that continuing to think what is happening in the country with the most power is just a matter of American Republicans versus Democrats instead of the fact that what Trump has done in one week is to turn the country into fascism - every item but one can be checked off in the list of characteristics of what makes up fascism - is tunnel vision. (which is an understatement but...)

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst161346_Canada-s-Trudeau-takes-stand-against-Trump-s-refugee-ban-.aspx

Quote Romany - "We aren't, as I've said again and again, particularly interested in American politics. We couldn't give a damn what party is in power just as the average American couldn't give a damn (or is even aware of) what party rules in Australia or France or England. But one hideous man? We are entirely aware - many of us through personal experience - that every Fascist leader has been responsible for war, conflict, the abrogation of human rights, and genocide.

So trying to spell out the risk does indeed sound like overkill. Already we have moved down the scale which signals the risk of nuclear conflict to a dangerous level because of his actions. Yet people are still rabbiting on about Republicans and Democrats in America!(and, depressingly, on our Grammar, Vocab. and General Knowledge threads.) So, people who truly and honestly (while that word still has some currency left) still think it's just about such silly notions as who is on what team in the United States of America, by keeping up this charade, are being both irresponsible and selfish. ('I'm better than you are' thinking).

It's real. One has a responsibility, with people across the world, to stand in solidarity and insist 'Never again'. Are people honestly prepared to see the destruction of civilisation just to prove that 'my gang's better than your gang' in Republican//Democrat spats? If so, that's entirely reprehensible and we all have a duty to RESIST." End quote.

BTW - I think Trudeau now has to speak out and not just continue to try show by example. Trump cannot understand anything subtle - you have to hit him on the head with it. For what it was worth, I wrote Trudeau's govt today to say that.

Edited - another good thread. Check out Geeman's post!

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst161298_Self-imposed-ignorance-as-the-solution-to-bad-news-.aspx?find=unread

Quote Geeman - "We don't live in a right versus left political world anymore. It's reality versus lies now."
Listening . . .
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:33:42 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 964
Neurons: 3,950
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Listening . . . wrote:
Our President's allegiance is to America and the American people.


Really? Are you sure? tRump's a pathological liar. He'll say anything.


How to Spot a Pathological Liar
http://www.wikihow.com/Spot-a-Pathological-Liar

Many of tRump's traits are right there.


Actually, I feel pretty good about his allegiance. Thank you for the link though ... Now I think there's a coworker I need to worry about! Eh?
Listening . . .
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:46:23 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2011
Posts: 964
Neurons: 3,950
Lotje1000 wrote:
Listening . . . wrote:
March Hare wrote:
What is most puzzling to me is this: how do you combine believing that people should be kind and friendly and hopeful and generous with supporting a president who refuses to offer shelter to people who are fleeing from war and persecution, simply because they are Muslim?


March,
This is a fair question. Our President's allegiance is to America and the American people. We have been under attack by Muslim extremists and it is impossible to identify by physical traits whether a Muslim is peaceful or a Jihadist. In order to maintain a level of control, he is limiting the influx of all. If you have a solution to identifying those who don't plan to kill innocent Americans (or Parisians or English or Germans or Belgians or anywhere else), please share. Offering refugees safety from the ugliness of war is of utmost importance but we must protect Americans first.


If I am getting this right, Listening, you gave us an anecdote about a friendly white Trump supporter to show the Left how wrong it is to vilify all Trump supporters. Yet some Muslim extremists make it justified to vilify all Muslims?

ETA: As for the solution you ask for, it would make a little bit more sense for Trump to target the countries the terrorists actually came from.


I posted the link hoping to calm fears/beliefs that Trump supporters are all zombie, racist, idiots. I realize there's not a silver bullet to changing the dialogue but small stories like the one I posted might make a difference if they get out there to be heard. I sincerely wish the dialogue would change to help heal the divisiveness...I am so ready for the world to feel healed and happy. Everyone is responsible for that happening. Donald J Trump cannot make or break anything on his own. Words and actions at every level matter in making the difference positive ... I'm making mine count.
Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:29:23 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 1,196
Neurons: 688,554
Location: Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
Hi Listening. You conveniently chose not to actually respond to what I said, merely repeating the bit about Trump supporters (which, really, we get by now) and ignoring any comparison to Muslims. So I guess I'll repeat myself:

You make an effort for us to see it's bad to vilify all Trump supporters, but you're happily supporting and justifying people who vilify all Muslims. By your logic, I guess all countries who don't agree with Trump could just ban Americans from entering their country because it is impossible to identify by physical traits whether an American is peaceful or a Trump supporter/zombie/racist/idiot (to use your words).
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.