mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Self imposed ignorance as the solution to bad news. Options
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 11:39:28 AM

Neurons: 495,481
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/27/donald-trump-michigan-voters-media

In a Michigan county that helped get Donald Trump elected, people are actively choosing to ignore news they don’t want to hear – or not receiving news at all.

So what we are seeing is that people who have voted for Trump are shutting themselves off mentally and refusing to believe any of it could have been a mistake. Ignorance is bliss on a mass scale.

Submit an application to work on the Keystone pipeline, because Trump is all about jobs. And when you are not hired for any of those temporary jobs, blame immigrants. When you accidentally hear that the pipeline will only create 35 full time permanent jobs, ignore it.

No one has given the rust belt a second thought in the past 50 years, so depression, drug use and poverty are the norm where once was the middle class manufacturing and industrial behemoth that was a global power unto itself. Despair, anger and self imposed ignorance are the toxic cocktail that saturate the region, so with the sweaty desperation of an overweight middle aged man chasing after a twenty something girl, they have decided to double down on Trump because things can't get any worse.

This is how Trump won.
snafu22q
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 12:43:53 PM

Neurons: 11,034
Spot on, sir.
Romany
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 3:44:40 PM

Neurons: 58,226

Prog -
When the first 'radical' christians came to this forum it was exactly that which led to so much confusion, bewilderment, and exasperation here. And why they were given their own sector. For the majority of posters it was the first time this capability had been encountered.

I expect most people have heard of the concept of cognisant dissonance, but encountering those who do have that ability leaves one flummoxed.

I've spent hours, myself, discussing what I was learning on the forum, with friends and colleagues and students.

So most of those guys have retired - or semi-retired - from TFD.

But then some posters who weren't here to proselytise joined: - yet their ways of discourse and response fitted the same pattern.

I have stressed the 'some' not only for clarification but to stress that this was still a minority group; one could navigate the forum by ignoring them, if so inclined. One could avoid the entire forum, if feeling strongly about it. This philosophy is alien to the ways the rest of the world - and the rest of America - operates. It warps the realities of society. It is not a political matter at all.

And so to those who have never - in work, travel, education, love, media, fiction - encountered this ethic before how, reasonably, could you have expected them to think you weren't frothing at the mouth?

That may be why the sales of 1984 have sky-rocketed and it has gone,or will shortly go, into reprint? The only example anyone has to look to.
And that, of course, was truly dystopian fiction. Wasn't it?

Not because of our politics (I have striven always to stress I'm a-political and wouldn't know a Liberal manifest from a Republican one) but because we are still being labelled 'Lefties' which infers that this IS political.

There's nothing 'Left', about valuing truth; co-operation over confrontation; compassion; ethics; honour. These aren't merely the province of any one nation or creed, but what the world, globally, is aiming for. These are fundamentals upon which all cultures are founded which transcend politics and religion. Though ways of expressing it vary, a civilisation is judged upon its values before it can be called civilised.

So, though you may indeed have been a voice crying in the wilderness for a long time.... here we all are, mate.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 11:18:36 PM

Neurons: 55,556
Quote Romany "There's nothing 'Left', about valuing truth; co-operation over confrontation; compassion; ethics; honour. These aren't merely the province of any one nation or creed, but what the world, globally, is aiming for. These are fundamentals upon which all cultures are founded which transcend politics and religion. Though ways of expressing it vary, a civilisation is judged upon its values before it can be called civilised."

Applause Applause Applause
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 1:08:02 PM

Thank you Romany. Much appreciated.
Geeman
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:00:40 AM

Neurons: 125,022
We don't live in a right versus left political world anymore. It's reality versus lies now.
will
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:19:45 AM

Neurons: 4,830
Geeman wrote:
We don't live in a right versus left political world anymore. It's reality versus lies now.

And we've been heading that way for some time now. I'm surprised at how shocked most people are that it's actually happened.

Romany
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:22:22 AM

(Geeman? Wow - another blast from the past! Lately we've seen quite a few old faces - avatars - popping in. How the hell areya?)

Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:41:28 AM

Geeman wrote:

That is so very depressingly true.
Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:01:11 AM

Neurons: 699,554
These quotes come from the God Bless the U.S.A. topic in the vocabulary forum. I figured I'd answer it here, because it's not actually about Vocabulary and because the title of this thread is way more appropriate.

TheParser wrote:
Dear International Friends:

First of all, TheParser, how about you stop seeking any legitimacy by referencing the invisible and somehow voiceless masses that are supposedly so fascinated by your opinion. How about you stop using your weasel words to weasel yourself out of standing up for your own opinion?

Please do not be influenced by photographs that are posted to gain sympathy for any particular side.

Yes, how dare the other side use pictures that pull on the heart-strings when they should be shouting catchphrases and nonsense words like "alternative facts" to support their ideology, like all good supporters do.

President Trump respects all religions.

I don't personally think he respects any religion, but if he did, he obviously respects christianity more.

He is only temporarily banning people from seven countries in order to make sure that no terrorists come in. It has NOthing to do with religion.

By cleverly not banning any countries where terrorists who killed in America have actually come from. I'm sure he's just trying to lull them all into a false sense of security.

Muslims in this country enjoy complete freedom.

The joyous freedom of being looked at with suspicion! The freedom never to see their family again, even though they were promised they could reunite! The heartwarming freedom that comes with forever being associated with the word "terrorist".

The Democrats are sore losers and are trying to cause as much trouble as possible.

Because this has nothing to do with Trump's inane ideas! It's actually all about Hillary... somehow...

The media have just announced that some Democratic senators have walked out of meetings in order to prevent a vote on President Trump's cabinet choices.

Such avant-garde cabinet choices they have been so far.

Please beware of people who try to scare you.

Fear is a great motivator. That's why people voted Trump.

Minorities enjoy more rights in the United States than in any other country.

The right to be looked at suspiciously, the right to be grabbed by the genitals, the right to be charged with more crimes, the right to be assaulted, the right to be avoided in the elevator (remember, it's not racism, it's statistics! Wait, no, you don't believe in statistics. You believe in anecdotes and experience).

And the American government itself says that by 2050, the minorities will be the MAJORITY.

Which proves... what exactly?

How sad that some people cannot be civil when discussing politics.

If you wanted civility, maybe you shouldn't support Trump.

It is shameful to what depths some people will go in order to discredit President Trump.

Give him some credit. He's doing that all by himself.

ellana
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:16:56 AM

Neurons: 127,363
Fellow 'leftists'... you have all been and continue to be so articulate in your discussions on the deplorable state of affairs post inauguration. I feel that I'm developing a chronic illness based on disgust at what I see and hear on a daily basis. Listening to self congratulatory lies and falsehoods literally 'blow my mind'.
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:35:24 PM

ellana wrote:
Fellow 'leftists'... you have all been and continue to be so articulate in your discussions on the deplorable state of affairs post inauguration. I feel that I'm developing a chronic illness based on disgust at what I see and hear on a daily basis. Listening to self congratulatory lies and falsehoods literally 'blow my mind'.

Like Romany said, "here we all are, mate." We have tools for communication that previous generations could not have dreamed of. Our obligation as free citizens is to use those tools to let the rest of the world know that the extremists do not speak for us and to call out the lies and deception every chance we get.

We've all got a job to do.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:15:10 PM

Yes, well said. And I think we should continue sharing what's going on around the worlds as well. Which is why I keep banging on: -

I thinks it helps American posters (and all of us, come to that)to know they have such ubiquitous support and b)that the growing anti-American feeling is directly at Mumph, not at the people trying to resist his fascism.