The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Whipping and abuse are like laudanum; you have to double the dose as the sensibilities decline. Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,384
Whipping and abuse are like laudanum; you have to double the dose as the sensibilities decline.

Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896)
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2017 1:01:08 AM

Neurons: 4,255,933
Quotation of the Day

Whipping and abuse are like laudanum; you have to double the dose as the sensibilities decline.

Ozolinsh V.
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2017 7:41:02 AM

Neurons: 136,914
Let's compare everything to drugs, it's so easy :D
conglomeratemass
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2017 8:07:58 AM

Neurons: 2,859
I find that if I have an affinity for things tried, I do them more and then my affinity decreases and they become routine. I think they key is to do them just enough that the affinity remains constant so that I am not having to add more and more to the mix. To do some but not all, and to realize that there is just too much to do all; learning to trust others to do some is healthy and normal.
monamagda
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2017 8:51:47 AM

Neurons: 6,386,108
Read the context from: Uncle Tom's Cabin

CHAPTER XX
Topsy

"What is to be done with her, then?" said Miss Ophelia.

"You have started a serious question," said St. Clare; "I wish you'd answer it. What is to be done with a human being that can be governed only by the lash, - that fails, - it's a very common state of things down here!"

"I'm sure I don't know; I never saw such a child as this."

"Such children are very common among us, and such men and women, too. How are they to be governed?" said St. Clare.

"I'm sure it's more than I can say," said Miss Ophelia.
"Or I either," said St. Clare. "The horrid cruelties and outrages that once and a while find their way into the papers, - such cases as Prue's, for example, - what do they come from? In many cases, it is a gradual hardening process on both sides, - the owner growing more and more cruel, as the servant more and more callous. Whipping and abuse are like laudanum; you have to double the dose as the sensibilities decline. I saw this very early when I became an owner; and I resolved never to begin, because I did not know when I should stop, - and I resolved, at least, to protect my own moral nature. The consequence is, that my servants act like spoiled children; but I think that better than for us both to be brutalized together. You have talked a great deal about our responsibilities in educating, Cousin. I really wanted you to try with one child, who is a specimen of thousands among us."

"It is your system makes such children," said Miss Ophelia.

"I know it; but they are made, - they exist, - and what is to be done with them?"

http://www.online-literature.com/stowe/uncletom/20/
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2017 9:59:39 AM

Neurons: 306,933
Daemon wrote:

Though that doubling trick is a tricksy one, cause some time later - you need to repeat it again and again...
Seering Wangmo
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2017 11:34:22 PM

Neurons: 1,369
d'oh!
conglomeratemass wrote:
I find that if I have an affinity for things tried, I do them more and then my affinity decreases and they become routine. I think they key is to do them just enough that the affinity remains constant so that I am not having to add more and more to the mix. To do some but not all, and to realize that there is just too much to do all; learning to trust others to do some is healthy and normal.