mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Wizard or Vampire? Options
intelfam
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:35:07 AM

Neurons: 3,284
Psychologists on identifying with characters. Speaks to my condition - Strider or Gandalf which shall I be!

Character Identification
BigBird66
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:42:26 AM

Neurons: 111
Is it just me or does that seem a bit obvious? There’s a reason we read fiction, and in particular fantasy. What is escapism if not the opportunity to leave our world and enter another? It’s an interesting study, and maybe the idea of escapism has only been anecdotal until now, but I can’t help feeling as though this is another study that people will read and think, well duh!

Oh, and by the way, Gandalph. Specifically, before the Balrog. (Grey robes wouldn’t show so much dirt.)
sisikou
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:55:18 AM

Neurons: 4,880
Gandalf is the best, for sure.

But long beard is hard to sort.(It might easily stick chips...and Summer comes, it's a bit weird to wear swimsuit with long white beard)
Vickster
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:03:12 AM

Neurons: 7,211
My sentiments exactly... this is old news... why would people read fantasy novels if not to escape their boring mundane lives...
How many times have you connected with a character in a book.. riveted by their actions and emotions... and kept you reading and hoping the next book will arrive on the bookshelves quickly and be just as good if not better!!

Big Bird 66... his gray robes (which were originally white) got burnt after Balrog... so he had to go get a new set of robes.. white of course... But yes... definitely Gandalf!!
rluna
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:20:10 AM

Neurons: 570
Gandalf wouldn't stand a chance on the Discworld! Not talking
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:33:21 AM

Neurons: 595,331
Olórin is a Maia, one of Ainur,
but Carrot Ironfoundersson is technically a dwarf (very BIG one) even though he is biologically human.
martyg
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:14:58 AM

Neurons: 2,386
i'm definitely reading the wrong books!!
jmacann
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:06:21 AM

Neurons: 3,887
Fantastic Gandalf -true, and nice -not the kind of escapism in which the average household watches over 8 hours of television per day, is it?
wercozy
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:26:16 AM

Neurons: 3,480
Intelfam, you stinker! You gave away your avatar. I was hoping someone would come along and ask about it and you would explain. I've thought all along you must identify with Gandalf whose name means wand or magic elf in old Norse.

I have a friend who identifies with Frodo, but I'm not giving away my avatar ID unless someone is curious about it.

Great article, thanks for sharing.
kitten
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:52:40 PM

Neurons: 7,420
wercozy wrote:
Intelfam, you stinker! You gave away your avatar. I was hoping someone would come along and ask about it and you would explain. I've thought all along you must identify with Gandalf whose name means wand or magic elf in old Norse.

I have a friend who identifies with Frodo, but I'm not giving away my avatar ID unless someone is curious about it.

Something to do with sign language?

Forbidden Signs: American Culture and the Campaign against Sign Language, Douglas C. Baynton

peace out, >^,,^<
intelfam
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:50:51 AM

wercozy wrote:

Sorry Wer ....if only I'd known (how often have I said that).
I used that avatar for a forum on prehistory and was too lazy to find another. I was unaware of the ON root, which is strange because I was fascinated by JRRT's use of older languages and got me interested in where some of our English words arise. Thank you for that titbit.
The interest in the article for me, was in the way it filled out my own idea that we do "get into character" - but that some folk (including me) perhaps read a trilogy or series set with the same characters - and then carry the values back into the "real" world in a harmless (?) sort of delusion. I know I did that with Marion Zimmer Bradley's novels.
Kikker
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:20:51 PM

Neurons: 1,761
Strange story! I never read fairy tales...

sisikou
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:07:53 PM

Neurons: 4,880
I read an article about the future of Disney fairy tales...Quite sad...

Disney Gets Tangled

Aiming for wider appeal, Disney Animation is closing the book on fairy tales

Once upon a time, there was a studio in Burbank, California, that spun classic fairy tales into silver-screen gold.
But now the curtain is falling on “princess movies,” which have been a part of Disney Animation’s heritage since the 1937 debut of its first feature film, Snow White. The studio’s release of Tangled, a contemporary retelling of the Rapunzel story, will be the last fairy tale produced by Disney’s animation group for the foreseeable future.
"Films and genres do run a course,” said Pixar Animation Studios chief Ed Catmull. "They may come back later because someone has a fresh take on it ... but we don’t have any other musicals or fairy tales lined up.” Catmull and director John Lasseter have killed two other fairytale movies that were in development, The Snow Queen and Jack and the Beanstalk.

Animation overhaul
To appreciate what a sea change this is for the company, consider that a fairytale castle is a landmark at Disney theme parks around the world and is embedded in the Walt Disney Pictures logo. Fairytale characters drive sales of merchandise and serve as the inspiration for Broadway musicals.
Over the decades, Disney has benefited from the ticket sales and licensing revenue generated by princess-driven properties. The studio’s most recent offering, however, was a clear disappointment. Sorry, kikker...Although critically acclaimed, 2009’s The Princess and the Frog was the most poorly performing of Disney’s recent fairy tales.

If 5-year-old girls are “interested in…being cool,” rather than being princesses, do you worry that they’re growing up too fast?
wercozy
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:10:54 PM

Does any one know what the heck kitten is talking about???

Kikker, "I never read fairy tales..." I'll bet you read the Bible. LOL I love it when the animals speak. The best scene was the donkey who talked back to his master -- great literature!

kitten
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:53:15 AM

Yes,

I know what I meant by the above. When I was looking up information regarding, sign language weeks ago, I came acroos a person named, wercozy, with respects to the above titled book, Forbidden Signs: American Culture and the Campaign against Sign Language, Douglas C. Baynton.

I thought perhaps your name was related to sign language or rather the campaign against it.

Nothing more.

peace out, >^,,^<
wercozy
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:20:21 AM

I had a sneaking feeling you were chasing me around the forum, jabbing me with your cattle prods, now it seems you are venturing around the internet looking for me. Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but I have nothing to do with campaigning against sign language. You are way off track. I think you are stalking me. Knock it off!
Kikker
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:14:30 AM

wercozy wrote:
I had a sneaking feeling you were chasing me around the forum, jabbing me with your cattle prods, now it seems you are venturing around the internet looking for me. Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but I have nothing to do with campaigning against sign language. You are way off track. I think you are stalking me. Knock it off!

Wercozy, what book did you read and with what are you identifying yourself that you think someone is interested in venturing around the internet looking for you?
That you constantly try to make others look like fools with things like ""I never read fairy tales..." I'll bet you read the Bible.LOL" thats OK, but don't make a fool of yourself, that's pathetic. (Why don't you just post lovely poems like "spellcheck", who started yesterday where you stopped?)
kitten
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:26:17 AM

Excuse me please,

But you are way, way off base. I found that book weeks ago with respects to another thread and noticed the same name as yours from a vast list of articles to choose from. I didn't think anything about it until you posted the above.

No one is stalking, chasing or jabbing at you.

You are wrong and off base. I have let slide the little jabs you have taken towards me and the veiled threat to report me to admin, as I realize by reading your posts, that you do it in one way or another to most posters, so there is no reason to take offense, as that is you.

I don't expect you to see it nor do I expect you to apologize as I truly believe you feel you are allowed to say what you want whilst the rest of us should walk on egg-shells when posting with respects to you as you are easily offended.

That, sadly is your problem, not mine.

I have responded to your OP's and threads as well as other OP's and threads as this is a free forum. Or so I thought.

We are not all going to agree and there is much to learn from one another as this is a free thinking forum.

I, sadly, can not change how you have chosen to erroneously perceive the above. It is what it is.

peace out, >^,,^<

Vickster
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:53:48 AM

honestly... I thought Kitten was spot on... you have posted previously on "writing in sign language" and then she finds reference to a werecozy in a book... hmmm curious.. if she wrong... so what.. we're talking about vampires and wizards...

anyways... you instigated the curiousity yourself by saying...
but I'm not giving away my avatar ID unless someone is curious about it.

I don't know of any deaf or mute vampires of wizards...lol (but I could be wrong..)
Cat
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:23:57 AM

Neurons: 194,017
I don't read the science fiction/fantasy genre but in the books I do read I want to like the heroine enough to think I could be friends with her. I recently read a book where the heroine was a lot like me and it felt comfortable to be with someone familiar. "Be" meaning in the confines of the story.
wercozy
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:27:25 AM

Moniker is a name.

I said I wouldn't give away my avatar unless someone "was curious about it." It was a playful jest with Intelfam about The Lord of the Rings.

Two people have been actively posting personal information without my permission. This is a violation of TOS:

Personal Information
Do not post personal data such as email addresses, phone numbers, etc. in the forums. Where appropriate, you can put some of this information in your personal profile. Excerpts of email or private messages are not allowed. Anyone found posting another member’s personal details or website details without permission will be banned.

The proper etiquette would be to PM me for permission to post personal data, or to complain if you don't like something I post. I did not write a book, and I am not deaf or mute!
Vickster
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:31:44 PM

I did not post anythng that you hadn't posted yourself... I know your not deaf... you said that in your post on Writing in sign language... that's waht jogged my memory... nothing more...

As far as your avatar... its Galadriel and Frodo...

Kikker
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:10:06 PM

wercozy wrote:
The proper etiquette would be to PM me for permission to post personal data, or to complain if you don't like something I post.

Help me, do I understand this right?
Does wercozy tell us that we first have to ask her permission when we feel the need to defend ourself, or our opinion, against her attacks or insults? Or that we are not allowed to disagree with her in public? LOL!

Kitten, did wercozy ask you permission to publish that you are stalking her?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:44:29 PM

Excuse me Wer,
where in this thread (or any other) has anyone posted any personal data, like email address or phone number, of yours?
Kikker
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:16:05 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Excuse me Wer,
where in this thread (or any other) has anyone posted any personal data, like email address or phone number, of yours?

If we can't see helicopters that our untrained eye misses, it must be also our untrained eye that misses the personal data we are looking for vainly.
kitten
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 5:14:34 AM

Off topic for a moment. Thank you to the OP.Anxious

I do very much agree that all posters, indeed have the right to privacy, and it should be respected by all. That is one of the reasons I like TFD, because I do feel safe and I know the administrators are always watching out for us. And I thank them for that. Truly.

There are several threads throughout this forum where some of us have chosen to share parts of ourselves. Some to tell of what we have experienced, achieved or would like to achieve. We share personal information in small bits. This has, I believe been respected by all. Queries are sometimes asked for clarification and these too are seen on the threads.

When I started, I asked to be pm'd as I didn't always know the correct way to step, and that still stands.

Forums are at times hard to gauge as we truly don't "know" the other person posting behind the screen, but what we do know of them, does comes through in their posts.

Are we tolerant, objective, informative, forgiving, loving, caring, sharing or intolerant, narrow minded, martyrs, insensitive, and negative? As the former is obviously rhetorical, and only each one of us can answer how we present ourselves. But 'we' do come though each posting.

In the real world we can see those around us who speak and their facial expressions, but what we also watch are their actions. As the old expression goes----"Actions speak louder than words." On the forums all we have to go by, is how we as posters, express ourselves to one another.

We are not going to always agree with one another, this is a fact of life, and this is also how we learn. It is also how we learn to interact with each other.

This forum's greatness is that there are so many of us on here from all over the globe. Agreement may be safer but those who can have healthy discussions and shake hands or quaff a beer after the discussion shows how we will grow personally, and how we will grow as a world.

As our forum is a "learning forum" hopefully we can help "seed" the exchange of ideas and ideals and the good we seek for our world, this mother earth of ours.

This is just my opinion, but something I truly believe.

peace out, >^,,^<

intelfam
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 9:33:23 AM

kitten wrote:

Are we tolerant, objective, informative, forgiving, loving, caring, sharing or intolerant, narrow minded, martyrs, insensitive, and negative? As the former is obviously rhetorical, and only each one of us can answer how we present ourselves. But 'we' do come though each posting.

This is just my opinion, but something I truly believe.

I would like to add that there is a view that says that we never really know how we present, that others would describe a different person from the one we see as "ourselves". I agree that "something" comes through in our postings, and that the "something" can be so consistent that we form an opinion of another by patterning regularities in speech and idiom. But that "something" is not the person as they see themselves, or as we would "see" them in face-to-face conversations. Emails are notoriously bad at conveying intentions.

I have had "spats" with folk on here, quite unintentionally, because my use of words, or theirs, says something on my radar, or their's, that is quite unintentional - and is the result of my (or their), writing word-for-word what I (or they) [this is getting complicated] would have said face to face. I came over once to somebody as brusque and condescending. I had no idea what they were talking about in their heated offline pm - and it was only with some reflection that I saw how words are used

Do we present as ".... tolerant, objective, informative, forgiving, loving, caring, sharing or intolerant, narrow minded, martyrs, insensitive, and negative?"
I do believe that just as beauty is in the eye etc then, just as much, and only as much, as are all those listed things in the ear of the receiver

I have to confess that I find being ".... tolerant, objective, informative, forgiving, loving, caring, sharing,,," is no great achievement in learning for me unless I also learn to display those attitudes towards forum members who are (or more particularly whom I perceive as) "... intolerant, narrow minded, martyrs, insensitive, and negative?", And maybe acting as an example is the best agent of change, I tell myself - or ask myself whether a pm might sort it out?

I remember a sentence in a Book of Advices which I read in a Quaker Meeting once - all it said was "Think it possible you may be mistaken" and, oddly enough, if I pm the people I don't get on with on forums, with a tone which reflects that self monitoring advice, it seems to work.

I am not contradicting what you say kitten - just trying to air my thinking about about forum dynamics; how I, personally, sometimes remember a previous prickly response for far too long considering how it is so likely to be wrong as far as the "real" person is concerned.

I now find that not rising to the debate somehow makes me feel more chilled out about the whole thing. It's only a forum, I tell myself. Do I really want to waste emotional energy and equilibrium publicly? Do I have to always "win"? , even if the other seems to need that? And does my need to win come from my choosing to carry on the debate publicly, where I would have to keep on because I might lose face?

I now have, what I would call a quite civilised, offline relationship with somebody on here, with whom I could have had a standup fight. We now exchange bits of information in private messages - and I now see a very different lady.

Intention statement. This is in no way advice or lecture to anybody about how they should conduct themselves. It is just sharing some personal information about how things have been for me on this forum, and others. Any possible misinterpretation is likely to be because I have chosen the wrong phraseology, because I live in a different setting to others, because I haven't enough time to reword this or because the myriad drugs I take affect my cognition. I would hope this would not debar me from contributing - as having on line conversations with folk stops me from going stark staring mad from looking at 4 walls and being in constant pain.
intelfam
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 9:38:48 AM

Sorry, members, administrators, and administratixes, that was off-topic. Mea culpa.
Vickster
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 2:08:33 PM

wow... this sound very familiar?? Do you always just copy someone's comments and paste them for your comments??? Very odd....Speak to the hand
intelfam
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 3:35:41 PM

Vickster wrote:
wow... this sound very familiar?? Do you always just copy someone's comments and paste them for your comments??? Very odd....Speak to the hand

Sorry Vickster? Was that aimed at me? I have not copied anyone's comments as far as I am aware. That was from the heart. I guess if it sounds like anybody, it would be one of ma's lectures when I was naughty...

Vickster
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 10:01:11 AM

no... they must have deleted or admin deleted the comment... it was the exact words I use above... very odd... by a newbie...Shame on you
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 11:15:38 AM

Vickster wrote:
no... they must have deleted or admin deleted the comment... it was the exact words I use above... very odd... by a newbie...Shame on you

It was a spammer (well, a newbie, too. But not all newbies are spammers ;-)