The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Balkanize Options
Quay
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 5:49:45 PM

Neurons: 137,710
I've looked at this word in several dictionaries and there seems to be about a fifty fifty split. Should you capitalize it any place it is in a sentence or only when it's the first word in a sentence? What does the group think, balkanize or Balkanize.
redgriffin
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 6:44:19 PM

Neurons: 160,127
Bal·kan·ize or bal·kan·ize (bôl′kə-nīz′)
tr.v. Bal·kan·ized, Bal·kan·iz·ing, Bal·kan·iz·es or bal·kan·ized or bal·kan·iz·ing or bal·kan·iz·es
1. To divide (a region or territory) into small, often hostile units.
2. To divide (an organization or system) into small, incompatible units: changes that would Balkanize the corporation

Capitalize always it describes an action.
coag
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:06:54 PM

Neurons: 7,702
The Collins dictionary capitalizes as follows:
Americanize
Balkanize
Germanize
Romanize

The Webster dictionary:
Americanize
balkanize
germanize
romanize

The Webster is self-centered, it capitalizes only "Americanize". So much for the respect of names other than America.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 2:56:18 AM

Neurons: 222,592
The Oxford capitalises them all - all the time.

The Cambridge Dictionary doesn't have 'Balkanise' at all.

Personally, I'd always use a capital, as it's based on a proper noun "Balkans".
snafu22q
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 9:29:50 AM

Neurons: 11,034
coag wrote:

The Webster is self-centered, it capitalizes only "Americanize". So much for the respect of names other than America.

There may be some truth to that - then again, maybe not, or at least less than you imply. While we capitalize 'American' and 'Danish', for example, many(?) other languages do not capitalize words based on proper nouns ... 'dansk' means 'Danish' IN Danish - but is NOT capitalized. I doubt very much their 'failure' to capitalize proper noun-based terms, nor Webster's capitalization of only the American version of 'Americanize', is based on the respect or lack of respect, of other nationalities.

My thoughts on this thread align completely with Drago - then again, we are English speakers.

thar
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 10:01:24 AM

Neurons: 90,158
I find the expression inappropriate for the example given. For other examples with similar attributes, maybe.

But for a corporation?

Quote:
2. To divide (an organization or system) into small, incompatible units: changes that would Balkanize the corporation

Tactless and insensitive?

From igniting the first world war, to bloody conflict and continued social division, the Balkans have been the source of real conflict. To me it feels wrong to use the phrase to describe a corporate restructuring. Is that an overreaction ?
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2017 11:35:29 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Quay wrote:
What does the group think, balkanize or Balkanize.

NOT A TEACHER

Great question.

I had never thought of this before.

I visited "Professor Google" and have decided that in the unlikely event that I need to write that word, I would definitely use the lower case.

1. The United States, unlike France or Spain, does not have an official language academy.

2. Thus, Americans often depend on the nation's "good" newspapers.

3. Although many of us no longer read The New York Times because of its political and social bias, it still does have the reputation of being the "best" American newspaper.

4. I examined the "News" section of Google. It consists of articles from various newspapers.

a. I noticed that writers in The New York Times spelled the word both ways. (I was astonished that the editors apparently do not have a policy on this word.)

5. I think that it is accurate to say that the trend in the States is to move away from the upper case whenever possible.

6. I think that -- for some people -- "balkanize" seems to make more sense in 2017.

a. The lower case emphasizes the idea of something being broken up into parts.

b. The upper case -- in my opinion -- puts too much emphasis on the geographic area that is called the Balkans.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2017 11:01:13 AM

Neurons: 584,274
Do you folks know the term Finlandization?

The art of bowing to the East without mooning the West.
(Cold War, 1950-1990)