Neurons: 347,528
I am curious to see what you have looks like. Pray
pitulush
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:25:00 PM

Neurons: 467,481
Priscilla86
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 1:51:26 AM

Neurons: 4,056
As someone from the tropics, it's winter wonderland-inspired theme for me (white Christmas tree with blue ornaments).

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:46:16 AM

Neurons: 227,927
Though there are ads in your you-tube presentation, it is fitting to the topic, not intrusive spam . . .

I like the origami 'tree' and the several ones made from books - very clever and mostly not difficult to make.

I haven't done anything yet (not till thirteen days before Yule - the first day of Christmas - which is this next weekend).

It will be something simple from the woods/garden. An evergreen branch (Holly and/or Scots Pine) and a wreath. This 'Holly branch' is actually made from silk, but it gives an idea of the size I mean - not a lot.

[image not available]
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:55:56 AM

Neurons: 13,204
Like Dragonspeaker, I will not decorate my house and put up the tree until next weekend it's too early for me.

It will look like pitulushs tree minus the cat.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:56:25 AM

Neurons: 594,898
Typical Finnish Yule tree (spruce) looks somewhat like this. Finns prefer moderate decoration, not too much glitter.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 5:21:54 PM

Neurons: 54,559
No kitty cat in my tree - just two partridges, an owl, and a dove ornament. All gold, silver, and white. I miss the smell of real evergreen - a fire hazard no-no in a condo. My family used to do spruce, JJ. Yours is lovely. My husband and I often did Scotch Pine.

White is very nice, Priscilla. I have often thought of doing that. Love your kitty cat, Pitulush. Melissa, where's yours?

[image not available]
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 5:29:15 PM

I co-ordinate, buy the decorations, and 9 people help me to decorate the condo lobby, party room, and outdoor tree lights each Christmas.

We replaced the Dickens Village display with these new decorations on the mantelpiece this year. I try to get something new each year.

[image not available]

[image not available]

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 5:41:18 PM

This is the first year I will be here to take down the lobby decorations. So when is Yuletide over for everyone? The twelfth of January?
MelissaMe
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 6:19:46 PM

My Noble Fir is waiting for me in a nursery in the town I will be moving to as soon as possible. My utilities have to be hooked up to the house, first. That's why I started the thread, for encouragement.

Nice trees! Thank you! Applause
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 6:53:22 PM

Hope123 wrote:
This is the first year I will be here to take down the lobby decorations. So when is Yuletide over for everyone? The twelfth of January?

For me it's Twelfth night, the last of the Twelve days of Christmas that falls on the 5th of January the night before Epiphany .
To have decorations still up after that is considered bad luck in my families traditions.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 7:16:20 PM

Thanks, Sarri. I shall take it down on the fifth. We have people from all over the world with different religions in here and I want to make sure I don't take it down too soon. I knew there was something about twelve days but didn't know what. (My own decorations come down when we get tired of them, some time beween Christmas and New Years. They can stay up longer this year since we aren't going away till Feb this year.)

Good luck with all your moving, Melissa. Love to see your pic when you get it up.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 2:55:52 AM

Neurons: 227,927
I must look it up properly.

There may be a difference in religious observances.

I always knew the twelve days of Yule to be the twelve days leading up to the first 'early dawn' - so basically from the evening of the twelfth to the evening of the twenty-fourth.
(Dawn is noticeably earlier on the twenty-fifth than it is on the twenty-fourth - that's what is celebrated 'astronomically'.)
Edited to add: Apparently, due to the 'drift' in astronomical time, the 'first early dawn' is now more often the twenty-third.
However, modern Wiccans celebrate the twelve days of Yule as running from the solstice (twenty-first) to the evening of the second of January - basically the civil "Holiday Season" covering Christmas and Hogmanay (also, this year almost everyone has a December festival - The Buddha's enlightenment is on the 8th (just missed it) and the Prophet Mohammad's birthday is celebrated on the twelfth or seventeenth and the first day of Hanukkah is on the twenty-fifth. There is also a Zarathushtran holy day, though it is not a 'celebration'.

I used to think that the twelve days of Christmas were similar to Yule - the twelve days leading up to Christmas day. However, I've also heard the same as Sarrriesfan.
My mother also had the "bad luck to leave the lights up after the sixth of January" thing - the lights were to guide the three Mages like the star. No need for lights after they arrive on the sixth.

Hi Hope!
So those are the "common areas" - not actually within your personal apartment.
Very nice!
You like owls, don't you? - very wise. Not a common Christmas theme here - it's robins we always show.

Are you moving as soon as you get the water and electricity, Melissa?
I'm sure you will be pleased to get in and get settled.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 3:02:14 AM

Hope123 wrote:
Thanks, Sarri. I shall take it down on the fifth. We have people from all over the world with different religions in here and I want to make sure I don't take it down too soon. I knew there was something about twelve days but didn't know what. (My own decorations come down when we get tired of them, some time beween Christmas and New Years. They can stay up longer this year since we aren't going away till Feb this year.)

Good luck with all your moving, Melissa. Love to see your pic when you get it up.

I would not want t get you into trouble Hope, that's just what we do from the religious tradition I was brought up in the Church of England, other faiths consider it still to be Christmas at that time.
It might be worth asking what people living in your condo think and make sure none of them would be particularly upset if you did remove them then.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 8:36:00 AM

Many Finns also make himmeli decorations in Yuletide.

[image not available]

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 11:15:37 AM

Sarri, I asked the super who always took them down for me when I was away for the winter, and she can't remember - does not have any specific date, just some time in January. There are too many people in here for me to check with everyone and many of them are new. I used to know everyone who came out to the socials. (People are dying on us or moving to retirement/nursing homes so we've had a lot of turnover lately.) Anyhow, since I'm the one who has to water the poinsettias, check the timers, and change the batteries in the candles, I'm going to make an executive decision using the info from you and Drago.

Drago, the first pic is my own tree - it does not look quite so overdone when you see the whole tree. The mantel and the front door Santa Claus/reindeer are two sections of the common elements in the lobby. Now you can picture where I come in from the front, but most of the time we come up from the indoor garage one floor below.

Owls. "Very wise." Good one. I don't think they are really a Christmas theme here - I just bought what I liked from what was available at the nursery (plant shop) within the budget the board gave me.

We had a great big owl that lived in the tree up at the lake - so yes I love them, and the hummingbirds and cardinals and bluejays and polar bears - well I love all birds and animals - except maybe the "official bird" Whistle of Ontario, the mosquito. Up north it could be the nasty black fly. Just kidding. Our official bird is the Common Loon. I love the robin too, our first sign of spring, but ours seems to look a little different than that pic. (Well, some "crazy" humans I'm not too crazy about.)

Canadians are a wee bit perturbed that they want to call Canada's official bird the grey jay when we have a much more beautiful bird, the loon. It was politics as usual - since it is already Ontario's bird - well you get the idea. The Snowy Owl was the other one in contention but it is Quebec's official bird. The snowy owl would have been fine by me.

I'm not sure if it is just the National Geographic decision or if it is officially named by whomever would decide such important Whistle policies.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/11/16/gray-jay-named-canadas-national-bird.html

"The grey jay, also known as the whisky jack, is friendly, hardy and intelligent — just like Canadians, expert says." Boo hoo!

JJ, I remember some pix of other beautiful decorations from past Christmases that you posted as well.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 12:41:22 PM

The Robin has become the symbol of Christmas for British people due to Christmas cards.
The Victorian postmen that used to deliver the post used to wear a red uniforms, and people,started to put them on the front of cards delivering good wishes. Then cartoons were drawn of Robins with their red breast feathers as postmen on the front of cards and eventually they became synonymous with Christmas for British people.

We do not have an official favourite bird, but the Robin won the public vote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33090043
MelissaMe
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:17:08 PM

Hope123 wrote:

Thank you! I will be taking many photographs of my new place once I get moved in. Boxes and all! Whistle
MelissaMe
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:19:42 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Are you moving as soon as you get the water and electricity, Melissa?
I'm sure you will be pleased to get in and get settled.

Water, sewer, and gas need to be done by a plumber. Electricity - by an electrician! >^..^< And as soon as all that is hooked up, I will be moving. I'm not certain what my internet connection will be. I'd sure hate to mess up my 855 day Active Streak! That is continuity to the time I stayed with the last time I saw my mother, and her last summer. It's important to me.
MelissaMe
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:21:41 PM

Hope123 wrote:

Canadians are a wee bit perturbed that they want to call Canada's official bird the grey jay when we have a much more beautiful bird, the loon.

Gosh, I hope they don't change it! One of my fond memories of visiting B.C. was the coinage. Loonies and Toonies! =^_____^=

I have to think of Bilbo and the dwarves, "A loon is he who will not sing, that water hot is a noble thing!" =^___^=
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:30:35 PM

Interesting article. Thanks Sarri. Your robin is fatter and looks shorter and cuter.
Canadian -

[image not available]

UKian -

[image not available]

[image not available]
MelissaMe
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:43:10 PM

Yes, the American Robin looks like that, as well. Or is it a North American Robin?

The one from the UK is much more adorable and fluffy looking. I would love Yule cards with them depicted on them!

Garn, that was a horribly crafted sentence. :P :P :P

Not much beats a simple cardinal for a Christmas card, though. =^_^=

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:43:16 PM

MelissaMe wrote:
Hope123 wrote:

Canadians are a wee bit perturbed that they want to call Canada's official bird the grey jay when we have a much more beautiful bird, the loon.

Gosh, I hope they don't change it! One of my fond memories of visiting B.C. was the coinage. Loonies and Toonies! =^_____^=

I have to think of Bilbo and the dwarves, "A loon is he who will not sing, that water hot is a noble thing!" =^___^=

You like our loonies and toonies! We got used to them. I put them into the Yogi bank my husband had when we got marrried. We used to save dimes. lol. That's what a cup of coffee cost then! We have no pennies in circulation now. You just round up or down.

We are gradually losing the polar bear - depicted on the twoonie.

[image not available]
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:45:49 PM

MelissaMe wrote:
Yes, the American Robin looks like that, as well. Or is it a North American Robin?

The one from the UK is much more adorable and fluffy looking. I would love Yule cards with them depicted on them!

The American robin is the one the one that flies south from here in winter and returns in spring. True "snowbirds". Whistle So you must have fewer of them in the summer?
MelissaMe
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:49:20 PM

MelissaMe
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:49:45 PM

Hope123 wrote:
MelissaMe wrote:

The American robin is the one the one that flies south from here in winter and returns in spring. True "snowbirds". Whistle So you must have fewer of them in the summer?

You know...I can't rightly say! They are around in the spring, that much I do know.

They seem to be in the US year round.

So they are in parts of the southern bits of Canada year round. And they don't stay during the winter in parts of nothern US!
MelissaMe
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:53:53 PM

Hope123 wrote:
We are gradually losing the polar bear - depicted on the twoonie.

[image not available]

Oooooh, pretty! I like that! It would make lovely jewelry.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 2:13:56 PM

Melissa, when I said 'south' I was thinking of FL where we used to see them in winter. Cardinals are gorgeous too. They were my Mom's favorite. Although when they keep pecking on your window they are not so much fun....

I was looking for a loonie pic by itself but they all seem to come with the twoonie. Edited - got this one. Never thought of jewelry - think it is against the law to deface currency?

[image not available]

I have painted two Muskoka scenes with loons and would post but they come with my real signature on them.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 2:23:43 PM

The Common Loon in FL in winter - I've been told it loses its summer cry as well as its black and white color while down there.

Winter in FL.

[image not available]
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 2:26:00 PM

Summer in Northern Ontario

[image not available]
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 2:31:45 PM

Our cards often have the little black-capped chickadee on them.

[image not available]
MelissaMe
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 7:46:48 PM

I didn't think I was the first one with the idea! Applause

In a simple bezel. No defacing.

[image not available]

I love chickadees! Cheeky little fellows...
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 8:14:14 PM

Neat. I do have a sterling chain big enough to support it.

Loonie's not worth much today on the international markets, and they are or are going to make them out of steel so it costs less to make them. ;)

O my. Just noticed - 1987 - almost 20 years that we've had the loonie! Time flies when you're having fun.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 10:07:34 PM

Melissa, I couldn't resist posting this joke Christmas tree someone just sent to me in an email. For anyone with cat troubles and trees. Hope you get a laugh. We don't have cats but...

I just noticed Pitulush's cat in his photo has gorgeous green eyes!

[image not available]

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 6:12:55 AM

The streets in Helsinki downtown look like this these days: