mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
A Good Glass of Wine... Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 4:29:09 PM

Neurons: 704,940
A Good Glass of Wine

To my TFD friends who enjoy a glass of wine...and those who don't...As Ben Franklin said: "In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria".

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop... However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember: Water = Poop, Wine = Health, therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of sh_t.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service! Dancing

And to paraphrase W.C. Fields, "I don't drink water, because fish screw in it." Whistle
taurine
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 5:03:07 PM

Neurons: 173,545
I heard rumours that, at least in European countries mineral water is available. Even bottled.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 6:47:15 PM

Neurons: 5,771,085
I guess we could boil our water if we have to?

I've read similar stuff about chocolate having insect parts, meat having bad bits, etc.

The thing is that E Coli is relatively common and it's not the worst part of poop (I think.) There are a lot of other diseases.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 7:07:46 PM

Neurons: 18,072
It depends on your water sources, if you are close to a system drawing groundwater from an aquifer or a spring it is purer than water that has gone through several cycles of treatment, like you might have in a big city like London or New York.
Alexsander
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 7:35:50 PM

Neurons: 1,599
I love red wine.
Gary98
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 7:37:53 PM

Neurons: 6,258,528
Too much wine gives one cirrhosis. Too much water gives one water poisoning?
MelissaMe
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 8:20:16 PM

Neurons: 347,528
Gary98 wrote:

Too much water can kill you. Drinking it, that is. Nutrients and electrolytes get stripped from the body, and it becomes fatal.

You'll die from not enough, also.
Alexsander
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 8:46:23 PM

Neurons: 1,599
MelissaMe wrote:
Gary98 wrote:

Too much water can kill you. Drinking it, that is. Nutrients and electrolytes get stripped from the body, and it becomes fatal.

You'll die from not enough, also.
Very true.
TL Hobs
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 9:43:17 PM

Neurons: 6,146
Wine, wine, fruit of the vine....when you going to let me get sober? So, the song goes. I'll drink wine as long as my health and age allows, hopefully to the day I die.

Bacteria in water is easily killed using ultraviolet light. Chlorine gas is commonly used, and abused, in the US public water systems, along with other chemical solutions. Fluoride is often added for good dental health. Use of it can become a political controversy, but science is pretty adamant about its benefits.

In the US, public water systems are permitted and inspected. Since 1910, the quality of life has improved because of the establishment of public water systems. Routine testing of the water and reporting requirements created safer water than community wells commonly in use at the time.

Bottled water, sold commercially almost everywhere in the US, is not inspected, and it costs more than a gallon of gasoline. My favorite example of the commercialization of bottled water is: Evian is Naive spelled backwards.

Wine is my favorite beverage, except when the need for a shot of good whiskey arises; for frostbite, child bite, insect bite, snake bite, dog bite, or electrical shock.

Shulamit
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:45:51 AM

Neurons: 48,633
Nope. Ben Franklin couldn't have said that. The first use of the word, "bacteria", was in 1847. The word used by the discoverer of those little organisms was, animalcules.

Of course the rest of the post is perfectly acceptable. More than acceptable, really. Wine is a very fine liquid, indeed. I say this having drunk nothing but the Kosher Manischwitz rot, referred to, more accurately as, "whine", for the first 25 years of my life. Then I met the Francophile, Harry. He poisoned me with a glass of 1959 Gran Puy Lacoste, a killer Bordeaux.

The good stuff converted me (not from the tribe, no) so that my use of that sweeeeeet sticky whine iis now reserved for cooking. Terrific on lamb chops, probably good on a pork roast, too.
mactoria
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:37:32 AM

Neurons: 2,000,623
As Shulamit posted, Franklin was long dead (1790) before the word "bacteria" (bacterium for the singular) was "invented" and used by Ehrenberg in 1828. Snappy motto, sloppy attribution.

Wine does indeed have bacteria in it, at least probiotic lactic bacteria, and depending on where and how it's made, it may well have many other bacteria, good and bad. People need to remember that there are good bacteria that are necessary for the healthy function of the digestive system, and then there are "bad" bacteria that can cause serious infections and other distress. For normal human bodily function, we need bacteria, and ingestion of some "bad" bacteria is okay since a normally functioning human gut and immune system are equipped with the ability to deal safely with them. E. coli can be serious and even deadly in large amounts, but it's likely present in much of the food and fluids we take in, despite processing.

And in at least the US, our FDA has set up safe limits to such things are insect bodies, dirt, feces, rat hair, etc., being in processed food. Most process food is pasteurized or cooked in some manner, neutralizing disease from these non-food "artifacts." People don't seem to know that this kind of material in our food, and others know but pretend it isn't as thinking about it too much would turn our modern "delicate" stomachs, even if they are harmless in tiny amounts. Our immune systems work to counteract harmless matter in our food, so literally by over-sanitizing our food system we've lowered the effectiveness of our natural immune systems.

If people want to use this motto as a basis for rationalizing drinking wine, go for it. As for truth, it's not.
J-P
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:59:31 AM

Neurons: 959,338

“Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages.”
― Louis Pasteur

“A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world.”
― Louis Pasteur
Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:03:53 AM

Shulamit wrote:
Nope. Ben Franklin couldn't have said that. The first use of the word, "bacteria", was in 1847. The word used by the discoverer of those little organisms was, animalcules.

Of course the rest of the post is perfectly acceptable. More than acceptable, really. Wine is a very fine liquid, indeed. I say this having drunk nothing but the Kosher Manischwitz rot, referred to, more accurately as, "whine", for the first 25 years of my life. Then I met the Francophile, Harry. He poisoned me with a glass of 1959 Gran Puy Lacoste, a killer Bordeaux.

The good stuff converted me (not from the tribe, no) so that my use of that sweeeeeet sticky whine iis now reserved for cooking. Terrific on lamb chops, probably good on a pork roast, too.

Ben Franklin is definitely a water guy. He will not be lured by the sexiness of wine.
Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:06:13 AM

J-P wrote:

“Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages.”
― Louis Pasteur

“A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world.”
― Louis Pasteur

Louis is kind of tooting his own horn.
hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:16:07 AM

I didn't think my thread would elicit so many responses.....thanks, you guys are on the ball....That first quote was meant to provoke and entice, and as many of you have stated, he couldn't have said it, (Shulamit, you IS on the ball).

March 30th is 'Misquote Ben Franklin Day'. The website of this 'holi-day states that this particular quote...'has been heavily debunked for over 5 years and it simply refuses to go away. Ben Franklin never said it. He said something strikingly similar about wine in a 1779 letter to André Morellet:
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

(Source: Isaacson, Walter. Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2003. p.374.)

So, we mostly agree that wine is good to drink, red, white, etc.....I love it too, however, my favorite drink is "Zoraida's Coquito", produced in New York, a Puertorrican concoction.....very popular this time of year....I have purchased several bottles to gift this Christmas...that combination of coconut and Puerto Rican rum is......don't get me started!

Thanks, fellow TFDers, it's been fun creating a thread!
hedy Dancing

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:33:08 AM

Neurons: 646,737
These guys only bath in water, and drink something healthier ;-)

Koff, perkele!
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:29:53 AM

Jyrkkä Jätkä,
En ymmärrä Suomen kielen mutta definetly videoita, jotka olivat suuria .... kiitos. Toivottavasti en loukata teitä minun yrittää kääntää soveltamalla "Käännä", se ei todennäköisesti ole hyvä käännös kuitenkin ajattelin että olisi hauskaa kokeilla.

Hope it translated correctly......be blessed, hedy Dancing
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2016 4:15:05 AM

Neurons: 646,737
Good try, hedy ;-)

Google translations between Finnish and most of the other languages usually give great fun. Anyhow, yours was understandable, though not grammatically correct.
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2016 9:40:20 AM

Sorry about that! I just wanted to convey somewhat because I enjoyed, (and have shared) the YouTube commercials....I should know better, I am fluent in Spanish, my second language, and often need to translate many pages for corporate clients, so I translate through 'Translate', because it's faster, than I need to go back and make too many corrections .. I'd just like to know who writes that stuff??

Next time I have a glass of wine, or bear or Coquito, I'll think of you!

Thank you, hedy
Dancing
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2016 5:38:04 PM

Neurons: 1,414
Wine does wonders every day,
Makes the heavy light and gay,
Throws off all their melancholy,
Makes the wisest go astray,
And the busy toy and play,
And the poor and needy jolly.
Wine makes trembling cowards bold,