mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Did it ever strike you, on such a morning as this, that drowning would be happiness and peace? Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 96,540
Did it ever strike you, on such a morning as this, that drowning would be happiness and peace?

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 1:15:24 AM

Neurons: 4,437,166
Quotation of the Day

Did it ever strike you, on such a morning as this, that drowning would be happiness and peace?

mactoria
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:02:20 AM

Neurons: 1,761,323
From "The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club," said by the "dismal man" as approached Pickwick who stood next to an edge. Pickwick's response was "oh no" and to move away from the edge in concern that the "dismal man," who'd suffered much, might push Pickwick over the edge. Pickwick had been admiring a beautiful morning and a beautiful view, which the "dismal man" could barely acknowledge and apparently not appreciate due to his "dismal life."
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 11:48:44 AM

Neurons: 6,737,965
Context:THE PICKWICK PAPERS

Chapter V

A SHORT ONE — SHOWING, AMONG OTHER MATTERS, HOW Mr. PICKWICK UNDERTOOK TO DRIVE, AND Mr. WINKLE TO RIDE, AND HOW THEY BOTH DID IT

'Ah! people need to rise early, to see the sun in all his splendour, for his brightness seldom lasts the day through. The morning of day and the morning of life are but too much alike.'
'You speak truly, sir,' said Mr. Pickwick.
'How common the saying,' continued the dismal man, '"The morning's too fine to last." How well might it be applied to our everyday existence. God! what would I forfeit to have the days of my childhood restored, or to be able to forget them for ever!'
'You have seen much trouble, sir,' said Mr. Pickwick compassionately.
'I have,' said the dismal man hurriedly; 'I have. More than those who see me now would believe possible.' He paused for an instant, and then said abruptly —
'Did it ever strike you, on such a morning as this, that drowning would be happiness and peace?'
'God bless me, no!' replied Mr. Pickwick, edging a little from the balustrade, as the possibility of the dismal man's tipping him over, by way of experiment, occurred to him rather forcibly.
'I have thought so, often,' said the dismal man, without noticing the action. 'The calm, cool water seems to me to murmur an invitation to repose and rest. A bound, a splash, a brief struggle; there is an eddy for an instant, it gradually subsides into a gentle ripple; the waters have closed above your head, and the world has closed upon your miseries and misfortunes for ever.' The sunken eye of the dismal man flashed brightly as he spoke, but the momentary excitement quickly subsided; and he turned calmly away, as he said —
'There — enough of that. I wish to see you on another subject. You invited me to read that paper, the night before last, and listened attentively while I did so.' 'I did,' replied Mr. Pickwick; 'and I certainly thought —

http://www.victorianlondon.org/etexts/dickens/pickwick-0005.shtml
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 1:01:09 PM

Neurons: 332,932
Daemon wrote:

Don't rush, bad weather will come soon - with help...
Ricardo Zúñiga
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 1:01:22 PM

Neurons: 34,649
There are times and moments when death looks like an exit... sad but true.