mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Fall of Saigon (1975) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Fall of Saigon (1975)

On April 30, 1975, Saigon, the largest city in Vietnam and the capital of South Vietnam, was captured by the National Liberation Front and the People's Army of Vietnam. The event marked the end of the Vietnam War (1955-1975) and the reunification of Vietnam under communist rule. The city lost its status as the country's capital and was renamed after what Vietnamese Marxist revolutionary leader and late president of North Vietnam? More...
jcbarros
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 4:22:00 PM

Neurons: 13,974
Silly American rulers: they didn´t follow Eisenhower´s advices about Indochina.
Wanderer
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:35:41 PM

Neurons: 78,988
I remember it so well. In those days film crews showed a lot of the horror of that day. I have heard it said that media coverage is what caused us to get out. I don't know if that is true but it was so sad to see those people on the boats trying to flee. I had thought we would surely have learned our lessons, but I guess not. It is so very sad and frustrating.
HWNN1961
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:43:32 PM

Neurons: 9,763
That was such a tough thing to watch. If the USA had provided some air support to the ARVN, it might have stablized. Vietnam fell because Nixon had resigned in disgrace. Ford had damned his own prospects as president by pardoning Nixon. As a result, he had zero political capital to risk in Indochina. So, he held back and watched it crash down.

Would B-52 bomb runs have ultimately saved the South? I doubt it. But, we owed it to an ally not to totally abandon them. Then, if they fell despite our aircover, we could have learned a lesson worth remembering: you don't fight someone else's war for them. You can help, but, if the entity you are allied with isn't viable, let it go.

I believe we have finally learned that lesson, and are showing the results in Libya. Rebels will win that war, with the help of NATO. Would that we had learned it earlier, and avoided the Iraq fiasco.
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:54:07 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Thankfully a lot of Vietnamese came to Australia as refugees after the war.

You are right Wanderer, the media played a huge roll in the pro-communist press of the day.

JC, what was Eisenhauer's advice of the day? dont remember that, although I do remember the

yet to be President Regan saying "raise it (Vietnam) to the ground and pave it over"