mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
What are the most suitable synonyms? Options
Abood12
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:18:05 AM

Neurons: 30
Hello everybody, here I am again and I am stuck to the knees in the lake of English synonyms, Pls anybody can help me in the following words:

1- I was disturbed by the continual ringing of the bell.
a- permanent / b- enervating

2- He gave an astonished look.
a- glance / b- appearance

3- The wages are received weekly.
a- payment is / b- donations are

4- The old shop merges into the big company.
a- brings new ideas into / b- is swallowed by

5- There is a constant lack of water in this area.
a- deficiency /b- reduction

6- At the airport they didn't search my luggage.
a- look for / b- ask for

7- His performance left something to be desired
a- was substantial /b- satisfactory / c- was admirable

8- I am afraid I`ll have to put my foot down.
a- insist / b- take the responsibility c- try harder

9- We think he did it deliberately.
a- on purpose / b- unintentionally / c- without thinking

10- He comes from Spain ,he is a ......
a- Spaniard / b- Spanish / c- Spanish man

11- He calls a spade a spade
a- is direct / b- is loud / c- is rough

12- It was a superfluous thought.
a- brilliant /b- tremendous / c- an irrelevant / d- superficial

I will be very thankful for you help.
intelfam
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:47:51 AM

Neurons: 3,284
Can you clarify a bit please? Is it the words in red for which you are seeking synonyms? And are the "a" and "b" below the answers from which you must choose? Many thanks
thar
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:53:17 AM

Neurons: 92,504
say what you think is right. people are happy to help but you have to make some effort here!
Abood12
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:03:38 AM

Yes of course as I forgot also in the grammar section , the red is the word and other words (a/b) are the possible synonyms , and my choice was always the A`s

please forgive me again for that; I am not trying to test any body or to waist your time but I am a pilot going into an English test with two English experts, as I said in the grammar section I was a graduate from RAF Halton 20 years ago, but my English was focused in the aviation expressions , and once I checked my vocabulary knowledge I found it a bit rusty,

Tanks again for all of you , and I appreciate your assistance.
songbird6
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 8:33:52 AM

Neurons: 265
#7 is b and #12 is c
jmacann
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:28:34 AM

Neurons: 3,887
Thar and DavidL were/are right, and this time the questions are quite less clear.
Besides, there are too many points at which this second test seems to fall apart. I have chosen only a few as examples -to illustrate what I mean.
I am afraid this second test does have some misconceptions. The way questions are put forward leaves a lot to be wished for. Sorry -I am not blaming you anyway, but that is the way I see it. Hope it helps.

a- payment is = right (though not in a strict sense)

?? misses the point IMO

?? misses the point IMO

a- look for / b- ask for

?? misses the point IMO

Abood12
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:46:28 PM

jmacann wrote:
Thar and DavidL were/are right, and this time the questions are quite less clear.
Besides, there are too many points at which this second test seems to fall apart. I have chosen only a few as examples -to illustrate what I mean.
I am afraid this second test does have some misconceptions. The way questions are put forward leaves a lot to be wished for. Sorry -I am not blaming you anyway, but that is the way I see it. Hope it helps.

a- payment is = right (though not in a strict sense)

?? misses the point IMO

?? misses the point IMO

a- look for / b- ask for

?? misses the point IMO

You are absolutely correct, its very deceiving sentences, I could guess what the single word means, but I cant tell what they need behind it ; is it the whole sentence meaning ?? or only the word, regardless of the whole meaning????

Isaac Samuel
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:48:18 PM

Neurons: 1,222
you are not wasting our time; but you sure are hitting us below the waist.
Abood12
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:56:50 PM

Isaac Samuel wrote:
you are not wasting our time; but you sure are hitting us below the waist.

I am sure you did not miss understand me; it should be wasted'oh!
jmacann
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:18:18 PM

Hello again Abood12,

It is simply that they do not match one another and do not fit in the question which is put forward: the mismatch is pervading.

a- payment is = right (though not in a strict sense = "wages" stands for 'money you get', and could very well mean 'on your own and by yourself' -in case you, let's say, owned a company. Yet, "salary" is primarily intended to mean 'the money you are given', as it usually applies only when you work for other people.

?? misses the point IMO = there is no relation between the meaning 'bring new ideas into' and the verb "merge"; and as for "swallowed by" I can say it is a total misconception, as it refers to something being 'eaten whole by gobbling it up' -which cannot be true in the example you present (i.e. the sense pointed at, implied and meant is 'made into one' or 'made become one'.)

?? misses the point IMO = "deficiency" bears a very different meaning -and it roughly applies to the 'bad/"defective" quality of the water'; "reduction" is mainly intended to mean 'unsteady or insufficient flow of...'.

a- look for / b- ask for

?? misses the point IMO = "look for" points at the fact that the airport authority 'probably did not know where your luggage was' (???), and also states that they 'did not help you find it'...(??? ???); "ask for" misses the point for different reasons, as you can easily understand: they are not willing to 'keep your luggage', but rather 'see what you are carrying'. Thus, 'look into my luggage' (i.e 'requested you to show the contents') -or a similar one- is the choice answer you are/were supposed to give, provided it is/was one of the options given to the student...

Hope this helps you out...
Romany
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:47:44 PM

Neurons: 57,303
Also: -

2. "astonished" means amazed.
7. "left something to be desired" means (his performance) was not good enough
12 "superfluous" means unecessary - in the sense of being too much
Ray41
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:46:09 PM

Neurons: 45,980
Hi Abood12, There are two ways to help you,[1} give you the answers, and you will only learn those particular words,etc. and will always be asking for answers.
[2]show you how to find the answers yourself and you will be self sufficient.

"Feed a starving person fish and they will depend on the giver for ever. Teach them how to fish and they then can feed themselves".

If you are seeking the meaning of a word, type it in 'Google' and you will have most of the definitions and usages of that, and related words. If you wish to narrow your search then type in 'synonym of #####'.

1- I was disturbed by the continual ringing of the bell.** Neither word suits, permanent means for ever,enervate means to weaken.
a- permanent / b- enervating ___________The word you need is constant. Google 'synonym of continual' for more synonyms!!!

2- He gave an astonished look. If there was more to this sentence then other words could be used. Appearance is how you are seen.
a- glance / b- appearance__Glance is a brief look! Synonym of astonished are;astounded, amazed, shocked, awestruck

3- The wages are received weekly. Donations are what 'you give' to a charity, research organisation,etc. A payment is what you make. Synonyms of wages are;salary' earnings, income, remuneration, pay.
a- payment is / b- donations are

4- The old shop merges into the big company. Merge is to join,blend in with. Swallow up is common BE and AE usage describing the takeover by a large company of a smaller/lesser company/business/shop

5- There is a constant lack of water in this area.Again, nothing to indicate context. There could be a 'constant reduction' meaning that the water is getting less and less,[diminishing] or, a constant deficiency, which means that there is never quite enough.

6- At the airport they didn't search my luggage.__Synonyms of 'search' as suited to your sentence, examine, go through, inspect. If it was your body, and not your luggage, then they would 'frisk' you'
a- look for / b- ask for

7- His performance left something to be desired __________The person was not performing,so, 'his performance was UNsatisfactory'.
All your suggestions are positive when you needed a negative!!

8- I am afraid I`ll have to put my foot down.
a- insist / b- take the responsibility c- try harder ___'Insist' is correct.

9- We think he did it deliberately.______________B and C are again opposites to 'deliberately'. A is correct.
a- on purpose / b- unintentionally / c- without thinking

10- He comes from Spain ,he is a ......A is correct, but be careful. If it was written 'he is', then it would be 'he is Spanish'.
a- Spaniard / b- Spanish / c- Spanish man

11- He calls a spade a spade
a- is direct / b- is loud / c- is rough..... A is correct

12- It was a superfluous thought.___Synonyms of superfluous are; redundant, unnecessary, unessential, extra, unneeded, spare.
a- brilliant /b- tremendous / c- an irrelevant / d- superficial. None of these,A, B, C, or D are correct

I will be very thankful for you help.

You are welcome,I have done this in a hurry so there may be an error, or two, that I have made.
Please make use of your computer, it is a valuable tool and you will learn much more by researching your own work. When you have a need for a check on your final draft, then that is the time to post it.
PS: some of the replies you have received are using 'literal English', such as 'swallowed by' and as you can see by my reply, there are other use of these words by native speakers.
jmacann
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:08:57 PM

Hi Abood12 and Ray41,

Fine -Ray41 is right enough, though what I meant by saying...

[" ?? misses the point IMO = there is no relation between the meaning 'bring new ideas into' and the verb "merge"; and as for "swallowed by" I can say it is a total misconception, as it refers to something being 'eaten whole by gobbling it up' -which cannot be true in the example you present (i.e. the sense pointed at, implied and meant is 'made into one' or 'made become one'.) "]

... was that "swallowed by" does not seem to be the most adequate or the most practical for students (in that it does not point at its first meaning -though it may easily be the first to come to mind... and the right answer here, there being no other...).

Taking into account we are dealing with a question in such a context (an exam or a drill -hence the misconception), "taken over" is likely a better choice than "swallowed by" is -as the latter -BTW, also common enough in Spanish as well as in other languages- only stands for a figured sense. The former is the choice answer, but is missing... But, again, that is only my opinion.

Moreover, 'merge' is neither "be swallowed by" (much too literal, just the same -though from the "opposite" standpoint) nor (in a strict sense) "be taken over by" -though, somehow, the latter gets rather closer to "merge", IMO.

Hope this helps...
Abood12
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 4:27:20 PM

Hello imacann and Ray41

I can see that you are all trying to help as much as you can and I do appreciate your effort, but I did try most of the popular dictionaries on line to look for these synonyms before I ask assistance here,

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

http://www.merriam-webster.com/

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

plus Google of course,
but as you all saw even in these dictionaries there was no exact synonym for most of the words, and I did not choose the suggested synonyms; they where in the test and you have to choose one of them, as I said my choices were the A`s and I wanted to check if they were correct, because thanks god it is only a practice test now, and who knows how the real test will be????

for Q-7 these are the choices!!!!!!!and I did not omit anything from the sentences .

and here is a new challenge ,it just came up:

what is the synonym for pun and the synonym must be about food or concerning food, not word playing or the other synonyms suggested in the dictionaries, the lecturer said : look for a synonym concerning food.

Ray41
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 11:20:06 PM

Neurons: 45,980
Hi Abood,
First; I cannot understand why an English test has such obvious errors, unless, we are reading it out of context.
Let us go back to Q7.
7- His performance left something to be desired
If 'a,b,and c' were given as the words for you to choose from, then I can only assume that the test is [a] badly written. [b] There is more being asked for.
Is there some instruction written specifically saying; Use the 'words given' in the sentence?
EG: Q; His performance left something to be desired.--- Ans; His performance left something to be satisfactory.
Although this answer would convey the message it 'leaves something to be desired and is less than satisfactory'?

The tests 'choice of words' is inadequate, and as pointed out, in some questions, they are not even relevant.

I Googled 'synonym of pun' and the very first reference was < http://thesaurus.com/browse/pun > and there is way too much information to paste here. If you google what you are looking for, then all the references you have shown,[TFD, Merriam-webster, urbandictionary, plus others] will appear, and each will have specifically targeted the information that you have asked for.
Abood, you mentioned 'the lecturer'. Have you approached that person with your problem. If you printed off what has been posted, do you think that person would read it, see the anomalies, and perhaps either acknowledge the paper is wrong, or, show you what is needed. The lecturer may have written the test so a certain amount of tact/diplomacy would need to be applied. Have you asked other students what they are finding difficult with this test?
If you do print it off, then I would suggest that you 'edit' with a pair of scissors comments such as I have just posted, and any reference to TFD ;-)
RE; PUN, synonyms related to pun and concerning food, 'roast', 'chestnut'. You will find more distant ones!
Here is a food pun;
The cannibal's cookbook titled 'How to Better Serve your Fellow Man' was written by a guy who had a wife and ate kids.

Hi jmacann,
I agree with what you are saying. If this is meant to be a test to find the level of understanding/comprehension of a person from a non-English speaking country, then it has failed.
There is just not enough information, and what is there, is flawed.
To me, the way the questions are constructed gives the impression that the person who wrote the test is not a natural English speaker.
Q1; the person who wrote the test may believe that 'continual' and 'permanent' are inter-changeable??????
Also for Q12; 'superfluous' and 'irrelevant'???
I think Abood should do as I have suggested, but, maybe speak to other students 'first' to see what they think/are doing!

Abood12
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 4:35:43 PM

You are guys are amazing, you are speaking exactly what in my mind about the test, we are a group of six pilots and we all agree that the test is either was wrong or he did not know how to write a test, but a previously tested pilots said that: he wants the test to be so hard that no body get a full mark.

any way it was a great help from your side and i will keep checking with you from now and then.....
and in two weeks time i will post again after finishing the real test and i will tell you about it.

thanx for every thing.
Romany
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 9:06:16 PM

Neurons: 57,303
Abood -

Well I don't think any of you should worry if you don't get high marks then - the person setting this is making the task impossible by setting answers that are incorrect. What an absolutely daft way to test anything!!!
jmacann
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 11:29:53 PM

Hello again Abood12,

I am glad to hear that. You are welcome.

Well, "so hard" could be admissible, though very likely beyond the purpose. What is obviously beyond the limit is that it is "so wrong". How is it possible that you are going to be given such a test? That lecturer has turned the test into a maze.

I am afraid you will have to be rather careful if you intend to pass such a "test"... And in this predicament, who is to aim at getting a "full mark"? Keep it up, or else follow Ray41's very sound and wise advice -though as he points out, you are surely bound to run a risk.

In any case, please bear in mind it will be hard for him to accept this sad state of affairs, because either he simply cannot make it any better, or there is some other purpose (???!!!???). I cannot tell, honest. I think it could be an ordeal for him -which he would not accept gladly, so the course of action to be taken is up to you. I do not think it could be much worse than it is now -sorry to have to say so, but that is how I see it. You surely know better what you can do and what you cannot do... So, get as far as you may...

Hope this helps... And good luck to you all!

jmacann
PS. RE; PUN, There are lots of references. Here you have one: Some people are on seefood diets: they see food ... they eat it.

Hello Ray41,

I cannot agree more with what you are saying (in every single respect). As I said above -and have been pointing at from the start, it is somehow hideous. It is plain to see he is not a native speaker -though that is far from being the worst of all. I would rather not speak up, as every idea that comes to mind is not precisely flattering... How can a teacher, lecturer -or whatever he is- do such a thing? It is not only he is not being helpful, but I guess there is more to it. Let´s leave it there...

As for Q1, the person who wrote the test may well believe that 'continual' and 'permanent' stand for one and the same thing (!?)-the contrasts are to be "guessed", as they tail off at every turn. And much the same goes for Q12, 'superfluous' and 'irrelevant', though here -all of a sudden, he intends to link on, as subjectively as he may. The result is... a maze of a test. Flawed, it is.

As you already know, he could well lack the knowledge -let alone the criteria. The latter -that lack of criteria, is IMO the key point to all this mumbo-jumbo, as it does not allow for any kind of progress, which maybe the aim of this sort of "master plan". Let´s say he gets away with it, and the students do not ever get a full mark... Well, the question here is -Is there anything wrong with getting a full mark...? -No, there is not -provided the students learn enough English in the process, which was supposed to be the aim in the first place. Or is it the case he really knows (???) what he is up to? Is there anything to hide, or is he just "being playful"?

I think Abood should do as you have wisely suggested, and speak to other students "first" -as you put it, in order to find out whether they are really learning English or not / doing useful work or not. Is there any explanation for such a misleading/deceiving layout? Very likely by now nobody knows.

So -to me, the question to be made is -what does the lecturer think he is doing??????

jmacann

Abood12
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:58:15 AM

Regardless of what the lecturer aim was...
for me I did get a good benefit studying all these dictionaries while I was looking for the synonyms, I learned a lot of new words and meanings, and up to my concern what ever the result of the test I know that I did my best .
and above all its enough for me to know this forum and you guys and we are thousands of kilometers apart, and we are discussing an issue like we were close neighbors ....
I think this the best benefit.
Blooper
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:03:16 AM

Neurons: 2,292
You are a pilot. Thousand kilometres doesn't matter. :-)
Peace out.
jmacann
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:33:18 PM

Abood12 wrote:
Regardless of what the lecturer aim was...
for me I did get a good benefit studying all these dictionaries while I was looking for the synonyms, I learned a lot of new words and meanings, and up to my concern what ever the result of the test I know that I did my best .
and above all its enough for me to know this forum and you guys and we are thousands of kilometers apart, and we are discussing an issue like we were close neighbors ....
I think this the best benefit.

---

Hi Abood,

You did -for sure. And that is the way you should see it.

You are right, that is the best benefit. Besides, the sunnier side could make us neighbours indeed. So let's say... we already are: it is the universal mind that counts.

Again -good luck Abood
jmacann
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:36:51 PM

Blooper wrote:
You are a pilot. Thousand kilometres doesn't matter. :-)
Peace out.

The sunnier side you suggest could make us neighbours indeed. So let's say... we already are: it is the universal mind that counts.

Peace out to you Blooper.

Cheers