mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but grumble with the rest. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,379
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but grumble with the rest.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)
kitten
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:52:50 AM

Neurons: 7,420
Daemon wrote:
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but grumble with the rest. Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

The quote is from, The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow, Chapter 6----On Getting On In Ihe World.

Wrong to be ambitious, forsooth! The men wrong who, with bent back and sweating brow, cut the smooth road over which humanity marches forward from generation to generation! Men wrong for using the talents that their Master has intrusted to them—for toiling while others play!

Of course they are seeking their reward. Man is not given that godlike unselfishness that thinks only of others' good. But in working for themselves they are working for us all. We are so bound together that no man can labor for himself alone. Each blow he strikes in his own behalf helps to mold the universe. The stream in struggling onward turns the mill-wheel; the coral insect, fashioning its tiny cell, joins continents to one another; and the ambitious man, building a pedestal for himself, leaves a monument to posterity. Alexander and Caesar fought for their own ends, but in doing so they put a belt of civilization half round the earth. Stephenson, to win a fortune, invented the steam-engine; and Shakespeare wrote his plays in order to keep a comfortable home for Mrs. Shakespeare and the little Shakespeares.

Contented, unambitious people are all very well in their way. They form a neat, useful background for great portraits to be painted against, and they make a respectable, if not particularly intelligent, audience for the active spirits of the age to play before. I have not a word to say against contented people so long as they keep quiet. But do not, for goodness' sake, let them go strutting about, as they are so fond of doing, crying out that they are the true models for the whole species. Why, they are the deadheads, the drones in the great hive, the street crowds that lounge about, gaping at those who are working.

And let them not imagine, either—as they are also fond of doing—that they are very wise and philosophical and that it is a very artful thing to be contented. It may be true that "a contented mind is happy anywhere," but so is a Jerusalem pony, and the consequence is that both are put anywhere and are treated anyhow. "Oh, you need not bother about him," is what is said; "he is very contented as he is, and it would be a pity to disturb him." And so your contented party is passed over and the discontented man gets his place.

If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but grumble with the rest; and if you can do with a little, ask for a great deal. Because if you don't you won't get any. In this world it is necessary to adopt the principle pursued by the plaintiff in an action for damages, and to demand ten times more than you are ready to accept. If you can feel satisfied with a hundred, begin by insisting on a thousand; if you start by suggesting a hundred you will only get ten.
<<<<<<< Thank you, once again to, Project Gutenberg. www.gutenberg.org

This book is a great read. I have enjoyed it greatly. I think Shakespeare wrote his works to keep many content as well as the Mrs. and wee ones. Whistle I think the quote makes much more sense in context.

peace out, >^,,^<

DHeavyOne
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:23:01 AM

Neurons: 378
Yes, misery DOES love company.....

On another note, I've often wondered if Shakespeare was given the endearing title of "Little Willy" by his peers?

I am SOOO glad that hiarcuts have gotten better since the early 1900's......nice "do", Jerome....

...but that's just MY opinion....he he he...
GabhSigenod
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:07:28 AM

Neurons: 149,736
Obviously he was content with his hair.
MTC
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:15:07 AM

Neurons: 8,606
Ruminants, cud-chewers and drones of the World, unite! Lift your languid bulks! Bestir yourselves from couches, recliners, lawn chairs and generally from the venues of sunny comfort long enough at least to eye your accuser. If that effort proves too arduous, as it likely will, then sink back into a blissful bovine contentment, secure in the knowledge that you too have a role to play in this Life, humble and unappreciated though it be.
Mindless Wanderer
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:50:56 PM

Neurons: 51
Yea---what he said.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:00:07 PM

Neurons: 92,492
and love the hair

[image not available]
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:19:44 PM

Neurons: 4,678
Hey...that looks like me! :)
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:46:28 PM

Neurons: 32,652
It is not enough that I succeed. My friends must also fail.

Marquis de Sade
jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:11:06 PM

Neurons: 9,377
Loved those Monsters folks. Dancing
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:05:37 AM

Neurons: 4,678
To excaelis:

"It is not enough that I succeed. My friends must also fail."
Marquis de Sade

Yes,I think that many people feel this way. It isn't enough

that one succeeds if others do as well. Unfortunately there are

those who can not feel happy with their selves and their lives

unless misfortune and misery has fallen upon one's fellow beings.
Aamir
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:30:49 AM

Neurons: 18
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but grumble with the rest.

Please someone explain this quotation.