mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Are you coming to the United States? Options
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, October 8, 2016 5:37:38 AM

Neurons: 22,062
NOT A TEACHER

Dear Fellow Learners:

Do you plan to study or work in the United States one day? Here are a few language tips (information) that may interest you.

1. Americans call their dentists, for example, "Dr. Smith," not "Mr. Smith."

2. Americans usually use the word "server" to refer to a waiter or waitress.

3. When an American says, "I might," it sometimes is a nice way to say "No!"

You: Are you coming to my party?
Raul: Oh, I might. Everything depends on my work schedule. (One interpretation: I am not coming. Don't expect me.)

4. If you attend an American university, you will receive a little book full of rules.

a. The rules will help you prevent saying or doing anything that hurts the feelings of any other student.

5. If you work for an American company, you will also be given written instructions about proper behavior.

a. The rules will help you prevent saying or doing anything that hurts the feelings of any other employee.

6. Many Americans no longer say "Merry Christmas." The reason is that many Americans now belong to other religions. Many Americans now wish other people "Happy Holidays."

7. The United States is a big country. Vocabulary varies from region to region. In some areas (such as New York state), people stand "on" line. In some areas (such as California), people stand "in" line.

8. OF COURSE, one should WRITE the two words "want to." But in rapid SPEECH, many Americans say "wanna." It takes too much TIME and EFFORT to pronounce those two words.

9. One of the best ESL teachers that I have ever known advised her students to read American comic strips every day. If the students had any questions about the strips' vocabulary, they would ask her. Within six months, her students had a bigger vocabulary. (You can find American comic strips online.)

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Saturday, October 8, 2016 6:32:15 AM

Neurons: 500,500
TheParser wrote:
6. Many Americans no longer say "Merry Christmas." The reason is that many Americans now belong to other religions. Many Americans now wish other people "Happy Holidays."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uo0JAUWijM

That's Europe.
Frank Avilla
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:21:28 AM

Neurons: 5,846
Number 6 is total nonsense. What's the point of wishing someone happy holidays if they're not christians? They wouldn't be celebrating anyway. If you're christian merry christmas is just perfect, if you're not, well nothing should be said.

Number 8 also applies to other varieties of English not only to AmE.