The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

American actresses "GIVE GOOD PHONE" Options
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:14:05 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Film buffs may wish to read "Press 1 for 'bit part'" by Rebecca Keegan in the Los Angeles Times of October 5, 2016 (I assume it's online).

Here are some of Ms. Keegan's comments.

1. "Every [American] actress' resume ... ought to consider adding the phrase 'gives good phone.'"

2. "That's because even the most gifted women in Hollywood are all too often called on to deliver a prosaic phone scene (my emphasis) -- worrying about, cheering on, pulling for -- their men."

3. "When actresses dial into the story from outside the action, they're often there to remind the audience what the [male] hero has to lose."

4. "The persistence of the device [phone scenes] reflects the wider disparity ... where there are two men with speaking roles for every woman who speaks."

5. Ms. Keegan then reminds younger readers of something that we elderly know well: "Though Hollywood was once driven by the box-office power of actresses (my emphasis) in film noir, screwball comedies and dramas, women who want to play layered characters on a big screen [as opposed to TV] have fewer choices today."
Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:23:50 AM

Neurons: 629,881
Women are often used for support roles, there to provide emotional support for the male protagonist. They're rarely active participants in a film and when they are, they tend to react to what is happening rather than act (making their own decisions and having agency). (One of the worst I've seen for that recently was Man of Steel.) I like to think it's slowly improving, but even now I still see many movies come out with a "strong female character" who ends up needing to be rescued or who spends more time reacting than acting.

I can't say I've paid much attention to phone scenes in this context, outside of obligatory kidnapped wife/daughter ransom phone calls. I'll keep an eye out.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, October 6, 2016 4:12:47 PM

Neurons: 63,637
What I've noticed over the last several years, it that nothing turns a woman on like someone trying to kill her. She'll jump into bed the first opportunity she has once she has escaped being killed, even if she has just met the man. I was amazed.
Think

I wish I had known this little tidbit when I was a young man. I went about it all wrong...Brick wall

Check it out in the next couple of movies you watch.
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, October 7, 2016 2:20:17 AM

Neurons: 629,881
That's not very new, to be fair. It's how James Bond got most of his women.