mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
My age is none of your business Options
TheParser
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2016 12:01:49 PM

Neurons: 22,062
The people who make the laws in my state have just passed a new law.

Those websites that actors use to find jobs often list the actors' ages. [NOTE: American women prefer to be called "actors," not "actresses."]

It is no secret that female actors start having a problem in getting roles once they pass 30 (or younger).

This new law gives actors (males and females) the right to demand that those entertainment employment websites delete their ages.

The intent is to prevent age discrimination when producers are casting for their TV shows and motion pictures.

Some experts expect the courts to throw out this new law, for it is telling those online publications what it can and can't publish.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2016 12:10:01 PM

Neurons: 228,163
But it would be a little odd to have a fourteen-year-old actor hired as one of the aunts in 'Arsenic and Old Lace".

But if he can do the job . . .
Steph Zhang
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2016 1:48:29 PM

Neurons: 3,078
eh
MelissaMe
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2016 6:43:28 PM

Neurons: 347,528
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
But it would be a little odd to have a fourteen-year-old actor hired as one of the aunts in 'Arsenic and Old Lace".

But if he can do the job . . .

Heh. Heh. Heh.

Great movie!

"I'm a little teapot!"

"Charge!!!!!!!"
L.Rai
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2016 11:17:39 PM

Neurons: 1,817,550
Hollywood has always been bias and sexist...so what's new??? I grew up there and I can tell you that in the "industry" women don't get work unless they fit the magic age of "forever" young. Yet men can get work no matter what age or how they look...hmmm. While it would be easy to blame "Hollywood" the true blame lies with our society that puts value on women only if they are young and beautiful. I wish that were not so but it's life. If we want that to change then it's up to us to send that message so the "industry" and the people who support it (advertisers) get hat message. Whistle
Priscilla86
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:14:31 AM

Neurons: 4,056
There's hope, though. I know some great quality movies and TV series that don't play by this 'younger is better' rule. They rely on great writing skills and actors (both men and women) to bring the story and characters to life.

One such TV series is The Good Wife, on which two main female protagonists' actors were above 40 when the series started seven years ago. The actor who played the main protagonist's love interest is five years younger than her in real life (they were supposed to be peers on the series), and as far as I know, any pairing on the series was always age-appropriate. If they weren't, they wouldn't go unnoticed (they were almost always a plot point to serve the story).
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:28:20 AM

Neurons: 228,163
Yeah - it's not always that way.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:39:45 PM

Neurons: 54,691
Judi Dench and Maggie Smith!

Just watched a couple of their movies together.

We watch a lot of PBS with many British and some Australian programs. They don't seem to have quite the same focus on appearance of the actors of both genders as Hollywood does.

Edited - Priscilla, I watched 'The Good Wife' for a while until the writing went downhill. I watched the last episode to see how it ended and did not like it at all.

Julianna Margulies is still a very beautiful woman and is a good actor. I had not even thought about her age and that of Christine Baranski. - I just went to find name spelling and apparently Archie Panjabi and Julianna had a feud going and there were rumors about others not liking Margulies. I imagine being easy to work with would help one to get jobs, no matter one's age.
Priscilla86
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:12:59 PM

Neurons: 4,056
Hope123 wrote:
Judi Dench and Maggie Smith!

Just watched a couple of their movies together.

We watch a lot of PBS with many British and some Australian programs. They don't seem to have quite the same focus on appearance of the actors of both genders as Hollywood does.

Another actor 'of age' (how degrading - actually it's another actor, period) that I like is Helen McCrory. I love her in Hugo and Penny Dreadful.

Hope123 wrote:

Edited - Priscilla, I watched 'The Good Wife' for a while until the writing went downhill. I watched the last episode to see how it ended and did not like it at all.

Julianna Margulies is still a very beautiful woman and is a good actor. I had not even thought about her age and that of Christine Baranski. - I just went to find name spelling and apparently Archie Punjabi and Julianna had a feud going and there were rumors about others not liking Margulies. I imagine being easy to work with would help one to get jobs, no matter one's age.

Hi, Hope! Season 5 was the best, wasn't it? And then it all went downhill from there. The last season was awful but if you don't care about the story line, there were some exceptional individual performances unlike anything I'd ever seen on TV before. It was almost like watching a play in a theater. I didn't like the finale either but Baranski's performance in the courtroom scene where Margulies's character was betraying her by implying that her husband was having an affair? Gave me chills.

Ah, the feud rumor. Yes, that was a rather odd glitch in an otherwise very professional TV series.

By the way, did you know that the average age of The Good Wife's viewers is 62? So that's my mental age, I guess. I like it.