mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
NO need to think! Options
TheParser
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 5:49:58 AM

Neurons: 22,062
NOT A TEACHER

Mona: There are so many grammar websites on the Net. Which one should I visit?
Raul: That's a no-brainer. Everyone, of course, should go to The Free Dictionary's grammar forum.

Mona: We Americans will choose a new president on November 8. Who(m) should I vote for?
Raul: That's a no-brainer. All Americans should vote for _____.

Mona: Whenever I watch the news on TV, I become upset, angry, and nervous. What can I do about it?
Raul: That's a no-brainer. Just turn off the TV. Go out to the garden and tend to your award-winning roses.

Dear Fellow Learners:

As you have already guessed, the expression "no-brainer" in those sentences means something like:

It is NOT necessary to even think about the answer. The answer is obvious (very clear).
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 5:57:24 AM

Neurons: 616,383
It's a no-brainer that everyone should now visit The Farlex Grammar Book in The Freedictionary ;-)
taurine
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 12:04:36 PM

Neurons: 168,187
How would handle this problem the boss of a Hydraulic Channel Press? Hm... Who knows.
Donthailand
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 12:35:34 PM

Neurons: 734,775
???
thar
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 2:08:41 PM

Neurons: 97,340
Yeah, I really don't like this expression. I feel there are better ways of saying it. If something is the only reaonable option, say so. And when it is said to or about people - ie what they should have done, because it was a no-brainer - then I really don't like it.

I don't think it is because it is slang - I love slang, idioms, playing with language. I don't know - this one has always seemed somehow lazy or condescending - for whatever reason, I have never taken to it. Think
Romany
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 2:57:53 PM

Neurons: 59,681

I've only come across it in American writing, but I think if anyone said it to me I WOULD be offended. It's tantamount to accusing someone of being stupid: i.e. if you can't see [the point] you must be not just unutterably stupid, but indeed not have a single brain cell. To me, it's a really nasty thing to say - our language is so huge and has infinite ways of expressing things - why would anyone choose to infer that someone else is stupid?
coag
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 10:48:24 PM

Neurons: 9,071
Similar expressions are "it's not rocket science" and "it's not brain surgery". Sometimes, people jokingly say "it's not rocket surgery".

[image not available]
Axel Bear
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 1:55:04 AM

Neurons: 22,403

Romany wrote:
why would anyone choose to infer that someone else is stupid?

This says more of the ´accuser´! Best is to disregard it and walk away and not to waste energy on being ´offended´. Whatever that is.