mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
outgrown those childhood dreams Options
3unorchid
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 9:17:23 PM

Neurons: 898
've outgrown so many things once cherished as when-i-have-money/time-i-will dreams
blahblah
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:21:07 AM

Neurons: 570
Why?
kitten
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:10:13 AM

Neurons: 7,420
You may need money to see those dreams through, but you don't need money to still dream.

Time is something to be cherished, always.

peace out, >^,,^<
Anthony57
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:11:21 AM

Neurons: 152
There's no time to lose, I heard her say
Catch your dreams before they slip away
Dying all the time
Lose your dreams
And you will lose your mind.
Aint life unkind?
Cat
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:19:22 AM

Neurons: 194,017
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

I subscribe to this opinion on childhood dreams. This is the "Last Lecture" of Randy Pausch who died of pancreatic cancer approximately seven months after this lecture. A book has been published of the lecture also. It is a great read.

If you watch to the end (or skip to it) he shares his reason for his lecture.
Vickster
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:21:13 AM

Neurons: 7,211
Dreams... There is no sense dreaming of something that is completely out of your grasp...unless you win Megabucks... it's not happening and is only a constant reminder of how much your life s*cks!! At least it is for me... maybe if I was 18 again... but at 42... it's not happening!!
Cat
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:38:28 AM

Hi Vickster.

I certainly understand that frustration. At 54 I'm being divorced and haven't worked for 16 years as I have been a full-time mom. So I'm facing "working poverty" since the only job I've qualified for so far is retail. I do have a chemistry degree but a concussion knocked that right out of my head. I was stressed about how I was going to support myself and realized all I really wanted, my childhood dream, was to be happy. My ex is taking my children since he convinced them I couldn't possibly take care of them on my 1/2 time minimum wage pay. He also considers my head injury to have knocked my ability to mother out of my head, stupid man.

My name, Cat, implies I have nine lives. I'm now starting my next life. Not sure how many I have left.Dancing

niblick
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:23:01 AM

Neurons: 562
Cat wrote:
Hi Vickster.

I certainly understand that frustration. At 54 I'm being divorced and haven't worked for 16 years as I have been a full-time mom. So I'm facing "working poverty" since the only job I've qualified for so far is retail. I do have a chemistry degree but a concussion knocked that right out of my head. I was stressed about how I was going to support myself and realized all I really wanted, my childhood dream, was to be happy. My ex is taking my children since he convinced them I couldn't possibly take care of them on my 1/2 time minimum wage pay. He also considers my head injury to have knocked my ability to mother out of my head, stupid man.

My name, Cat, implies I have nine lives. I'm now starting my next life. Not sure how many I have left.Dancing

Good wishes to you. My belief is that one should live in the present but work for the future and eventually
things will turn around.
Cat
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:40:51 AM

Thanks niblick, I too have that philosophy although it was difficult when I was hanging on to a knot I had tied in my rope of life.

I have a five year plan which lasts until my two teens are done with high school. After that I will have a new five year plan. What has gotten me through this current rough road is that I've walked rough roads before and lived to prosper and I will again.
rluna
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:18:34 AM

Neurons: 570
Life happens when you're making grand plans for it.
redgriffin
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:02:21 AM

Neurons: 160,127
I still chaerish my childhood dreams they keep you young.

"ife is that messy thing that happens before death." Henry Adams
GabhSigenod
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:43:04 PM

Neurons: 149,736
rluna wrote:
Life happens when you're making grand plans for it.

First the fantasy, then the fruit.
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:44:57 AM

Neurons: 484,288
Childhood dreams vanish with childhood and then the ugly maturity engulfs us. We are so engrossed in daily chores that we forget to see the dreams.

Vicki and Cat and all of us, life is like that. Enjoy the pain.
26letters
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:26:57 AM

Neurons: 2,050
Cat, I hope the very best for you! Like you said, you've made it this far.

The one advantage of childhood dreams is that it enables you to look outside the cage. Without it, you find yourself accepting whatever life dishes out and feeling unable to budge.

Those old dreams may have been impractical or even unwise, but it taught your mind to look beyond your present circumstances, set on a goal and then plan your way to achieve it. It teaches you that nothing is set in stone.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:08:00 AM

Neurons: 57,403
Cat - hang in there, girl. Know you aren't alone, too. So many people end up having to re-make their lives just at the point when they had always imagined it would be straightening out.

As for childhood dreams? I've fulfilled every single one of them but, like that old prover "Be careful what you ask for - you might get it" have found that it was only because I was a child that I thought they would bring me perfect happiness.

However, I honestly don't think I could get through life if it were not for dreams: and besides, when one door closes, contrary to popular wisdom, I've found that often another does not open except in my dreams!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:28:08 AM

Neurons: 595,331
Long ago I read the Little Prince and from then on I dreamed of seeing Baobab trees. Last year I finally made it to visit Madagascar ;-)
Adriaticus
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:53:01 AM

Neurons: 726
By default you cannot costrain dreaming to your reality. Otherwise it would be something else,making plans but not dreaming.

Dreaming is free and help people to bear the burden of their lives. I always have in mind the character of the cab driver in the movie Collateral.
Vickster
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:57:10 AM

Neurons: 7,211
Dreaming about being married(granted to my prince charming) and having children is not that far fetched of a dream... that's what I wanted... not to be rich... not to live in a palace.. just to be loved by another person and live my life with him raising my kids and having the life like the Waltons... with lots of love and over- coming the troubles of life knowing that love can conquer all... NOT. Some people do have this...and don't know that they have a precious thing... and want more!! I feel like smacking them in the face and telling them to smarten up!!
thar
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:48:52 AM

Neurons: 92,574
To Cat,- having a dream of being happy is better than most wish for, and with strength it is one that can be achieved. You seem to have cut some bad breaks, but with that attitude I think you will do it - I wish you all the best.

My childhood dream was to find out how and why things are, and to enjoy myself.

I assumed as I grew up, this would change into something more adult. Most of my friends and contemporaries seem to have gone that route, going after the good job and the money or the perfect relationship or nice house.

For a while I wondered what was wrong with me that those dreams never emerged in me, until I realised it is just my style to stay with my childhood dream. Now I am back on track asking why things are, and enjoying everything I do, even the things other people find boring. I do have other childhood dreams, of travelling more, experiencing more, and money would be a nice way to be able to do that, but then you look at something a new way and realise wanting something for the future can be boring if it rules your present!.

I think sometimes we are too constrained by the other people's ideas of what our dreams and ambitions should be. After all, dreams are one thing that is completely under our control, so we can make them personal, genuinely ours, and to hell with everyone else's!

( I realise this may sound really immature, and certainly I have not had the adult knocks that others here have. It is just a feeling I have that some people genuinely outgrow early dreams, but others lose them due to external expectations, when they are still integral to their character and happiness.)

mindmaze
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:58:34 AM

Neurons: 300
" . . . Are you in the pocket of the moment in this particular second,
Screwed into the socket of the moment in this particular second,
Where time cannot be reckoned,Are you in the pocket of the moment . . . "
(Blue Oyster Cult, song,"Pocket";Curse Of The Hidden Mirror album)

The moments that make up each of our own personal "now" is all we have!

A person might as well find their quality of living life, for being alive, in each of those moments. IMHO.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:59:51 PM

Neurons: 57,403
Thar - I don't see anything at all that limits the dreams that you first had to the realm of childhood. You wanted knowledge and happiness: - a goal many people share.

The fact that people search for and/or find happiness in different things - the white picket fence or a passport with multiple stamps on every page - is, I think, neither here nor there. Our common goals or dreams vary very little.

In my eyes there's nothing at all immature in anything you said - some people DO allow themselves to be constrained, or give up entirely. I think perhaps all of us do at some stage - whether for one black night or for twenty long years - give up. Or at least toy with the idea of doing so.

It actually takes a lot of strength to follow one's dreams...and some people, either by nature or nurture, have more strength than others.