The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Keep the killer at home! Options
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2016 5:30:03 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Question: What kills 4 billion birds, 22 billion small mammals, 822 million reptiles, and 299 million amphibians each year JUST in the United States?

Answer: According to a new book, it is the free-ranging cat.

That includes house cats whose owners let them out of the house + stray cats (that do not have an owner).

The book continues:

1. Free-roaming domestic cats are "an environmental menace of staggering and still-escalating proportions."

2. "The number of [American] cat owners who allow their pets to roam outside is about 50 percent, and the figure shows scant signs of declining."

3. "[P]et cats should no more be allowed to roam around at will than should pet dogs, horses, pythons, or pot-bellied pigs."

4. "The notion that cats have a particularly deep-seated 'need' for freedom ... is an abdication of an owner's responsibility to, hey, play with your cat once in a while, rather than to expect the sparrows to do it for you."

5. The authors believe that the cats that do not have a home should be "humanely put down." (The reviewer of their book feels that it might be a good idea for stray cats in "sensitive environments," but she feels that maybe that it would not be necessary in urban areas.)

The book is Cat Wars: The Devastating Consequences of a Cuddly Killer by Peter P. Marra and Chris Santella, published by the Princeton University Press. The above comments come from a review written by Natalie Angler in The New York Review of Books of September 29, 2016.

MelissaMe
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2016 11:15:54 AM

Neurons: 347,528
Until my 15 year old purebred Russian Blue previous show cat snuck out into the atrium for about 15 seconds this past summer, neither her, nor her daughter had ever set foot on the earth's surface!

If you think about it logically, where and how many cats were in the United States before 1900? Barns? A few, sparsely dispersed fancy housecats? They did no appreciable nor measurable harm to the native animal population! Except for the rodents in the barns.

Today, feral cats in densely populated urban areas fulfill the same needs. Suburbia, however, does not need this. The world does not need millions of feral domestic cats OR dogs.

Something needs to be done to stop the overpopulation of pets.

There's too many of them!

P. S. There are so many reasons I keep them indoors! Cars, fleas, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, mean people, dogs, skunks, raccoons, diseased animals, dirt tracked into the house, fleas brought into the house, and I am sure there are others!

Indoor cats are as different from indoor-outdoor cats as cats are from dogs.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2016 12:46:37 PM

Neurons: 53,380

MelissaMe,

Wherever I lived in Australia it was illegal to let cats out of the house - unless you have cat-proof 'runs' in your garden. Cats have already led to the extinction of many different species - which sets off a chain reaction across species.

One house my partner and I looked at when we were house-hunting had a really huge back garden, with a state-of-the-art cat run all around it with different play areas/environments included. We didn't have a cat, but seriously considered getting one! (Instead, sadly, we refused the house because we KNEW anyone with a beloved cat would give their eye-teeth for such a set-up).