The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

cartoon Options
Jozo-10
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 7:37:03 AM

Neurons: 656,666
Hi!

I found this nice cartoon some years ago, but I was somewhat perplexed what it is about.
It would be notice about actual politic, I think.

Would someone explain it sense to me?

[image not available]

Thanks.
FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 7:50:26 AM

Neurons: 13,886
Jozo-10 wrote:
Hi!

I found this nice cartoon some years ago, but I was somewhat perplexed what it is about.
It would be notice about actual politic, I think.

Would someone explain it sense to me?

Thanks.

I think it's about "madness". It is implying "George Osbourne" is a mad man.
"Hatters-hat makers" are known to be "mad" and they were often called "mad hatters"- apparently they were susceptible to madness because of the certain chemical they used to make hats-
And there is the word "March hare", which means "madness" because apparently hares are maddest ever in March.

"The mad hatter" and "March hare" are also the characters featured in "Alice in Wonderland".
FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 7:56:16 AM

Neurons: 13,886
Additionally...

George Osborne: a British Conservative Party politician who has been the Chancellor of the Exchequer and Second Lord of the Treasury since 2010

[image not available]
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:00:10 AM

Neurons: 10,811
George Osborne was the Chancellor of the Exchequer during the Government of David Cameron in the UK, he was reshuffled by the new PM Theresa May.
During his time in office he was in control of the Givernmentbdepartment called The Treasury and responsible for setting the nations tax and spending which would be revealed each year in the annual Budget speech.
Over the time he was in office there where some difficult challenges that required a lot of difficult balancing acts to get right or wrong depending on a persons political,point of view.

The cartoon refers to the magic trick of pulling a rabbit from a magicians hat, and is suggesting the only way George Osborne could get the budget to balance and appease the voters is by magic tricks.
Edit I have to disagree with Frosty X Rime, I do not think it has anything to do with madness.
Jozo-10
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:04:10 AM

Thanks,

I know who is George Osborne, I think he was doing his best for the finance,
if I can evaulate it from Slovakia.

Alice in Wonderland is often quoted, it is very popular in UK,...
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:12:49 AM

Neurons: 216,021
I don't think so, Frosty, though that is a good guess.

It is more probably referring to the idiom 'to pull a rabbit out of a hat' - to do something, and produce a result, as if by magic.

[image not available]

One of Osborne's famous budget actions was Project Merlin whereby banks aimed to lend about £190bn to businesses in 2011 (including £76bn to small firms), curb bonuses and reveal some salary details of their top earners, whilst increasing the bank levy by 800m. Liberal Democrat Treasury spokesman Lord Oakeshott resigned after the agreement was announced. Other pledges include providing £200m of capital for David Cameron's Big Society Bank, which is supposed to finance community projects.

EDIT: Sarriesfan replied while I was looking for the pictures . . .
Jozo-10
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:20:51 AM

OK,

then it is " PULL A RABBIT OUT OF A HAT "
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:26:08 AM

Neurons: 10,811
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I don't think so, Frosty, though that is a good guess.

It is more probably referring to the idiom 'to pull a rabbit out of a hat' - to do something, and produce a result, as if by magic.

[image not available]

One of Osborne's famous budget actions was Project Merlin whereby banks aimed to lend about £190bn to businesses in 2011 (including £76bn to small firms), curb bonuses and reveal some salary details of their top earners, whilst increasing the bank levy by 800m. Liberal Democrat Treasury spokesman Lord Oakeshott resigned after the agreement was announced. Other pledges include providing £200m of capital for David Cameron's Big Society Bank, which is supposed to finance community projects.

EDIT: Sarriesfan replied while I was looking for the pictures . . .

They explain it vey well though, and I had forgotten about Project Merlin.