The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What Happens to Wildlife When Humans Build Walls or Highways? Options
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 9:37:58 PM

Neurons: 43,441
I remember how they built special passes for the animals to cross Highway 75 that goes across the bottom of Florida from Naples on the gulf side to Miami on the ocean side and they are starting to help the panthers on Alligator Alley as well. We do have info as to how wildlife and eco systems are interrupted by humans. Here are a couple of interesting articles about that. I was just doing the zooniverse exercise for the identificarion of animals in Chicago and it reminded me of how they took pix and saw that the animals actually were using the under and over passes of the FL highways. Other states and also Canada are using these methods to cut down on road kill of all kinds of animals.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/5M-Fence-Project-to-Protect-Panthers-on-Alligator-Alley-343102182.html

http://mentalfloss.com/article/58249/how-highway-underpasses-are-saving-panthers-florida

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37200583

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 9:49:24 PM

Neurons: 39,933
We had trouble with a koala population in my town, they live happily in their 500 acre common along the river.

In early spring some of the younger males migrate to other areas, crossing the highway.

This is usually at dusk,they and are so slow and grey of course, that there were fatalities. Our Shire Council erected high fences either side of

the road and a large culvert under the road for their thoroughfare.

Its a healthy population with sustainable eucalypti and as it is a Common they will never e built out.

Foxes, feral cats and stray dogs have to be dealt with now.
Bedells
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 10:59:33 PM

Neurons: 524,723
Hi Hope,

Very interesting post, specially the link about the wall on the south of the United States. Mr Trump thinks it's a good idea to expand the wall all over the US border if he becomes president of the US. But he hasn't considered that he will endanger a lot species of plants and animals.

This is an excerpt from Newsweek magazine about this topic:

"Long term, scientists and conservationists fear, the barrier could mean the loss of certain species, including those that people have spent decades working to protect. For valley residents and businesses, the wall also threatens millions of dollars of commerce and cross-border relationships nurtured for generations"

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/02/26/environmental-impact-us-mexico-border-wall-426310.html
Axel Bear
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 3:35:28 AM

Neurons: 22,368

Tovarish wrote:
...Its a healthy population with sustainable eucalypti...

The plural of 'eucalytus' is either 'eucalypti' OR 'eucalyptuses'. English is rather inconsequent when referring to plurals of words ending in '-us'. And it is not always because of the Latin origine.

Jake walked into a bar.
Jake: I'll have a martinus please.
barman: You mean martini.
Jake: If I had wanted two I would have ordered a double.

Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite: Joseph de Maistre
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 9:24:19 AM

Neurons: 155,967
It may sound silly to some, but it has been thought of and planned for, in some cases.

Here's a wild llama crossing the M25 (a motorway 'hub' which surrounds London.

There are badger tunnels, deer bridges - even a newt canal under one motorway.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 10:05:27 AM

Neurons: 66,283
Sometimes nothing is enough to help them get across. You just have to step back.

I know the scientists had to do the research, but surely nobody believes that wall will end up being built!

Hope123
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 7:34:43 PM

Wild llamas in London! And toads closing the road!

Yeah, the wall will not be built but there already are several hundred miles of walls along the US-Mexico border that have disrupted the eco systems of some wildlife.

In 2012 - a North Dakota radio caller wanted Deer Crossing Signs moved so Deer "won't cross highways"!

Are you kidding? There is an audio and it doesn't seem to be a put up job!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/19/donna-radio-caller-deer-crossing-sign-complaint_n_1987405.html

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 2:00:42 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Migrating Toads, we have them too unfortunately

www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive-species/publications/factsheet-cane-toad-bufo-marinus

They are rotten things and kill everything from crocodiles right down the food chain.

If you want them or can eat them, then come and get as many as you like, they make good tees for golfers I believe.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 10:49:24 PM

Like those awful ones in FL? They sounded like a machine gun on the balcony all night long in mating season and can kill small animals with their poison.

I forget their name.

leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:29:36 AM

Neurons: 25,872
Hope123 wrote:
Like those awful ones in FL? They sounded like a machine gun on the balcony all night long in mating season and can kill small animals with their poison.

I forget their name.

Oh my, and for a brief moment I thought someone had erected a wall to keep out the Joads.

Who could possibly trump that ?

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:42:58 AM

I was never able to 'get into' that book, Leon, in spite of its awards. Never saw the movie, either.

Found the name - Florida has only one toad that has a dangerous toxin to small animals, the Marine toad (a.k.a., Giant toad or Cane toad), scientific name: Rhinella marina (formerly Bufo marinus). As Tov says, they are a pest in Australia too.

This is the mating call of the cane toad - Ten Seconds on the video is enough and it went on for several hours every night for a couple of weeks or more. I used to wish she'd hurry up and give him some.

https://youtu.be/61f81QiwJxo

leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:28:12 PM

Neurons: 25,872
Hope123 wrote:
I used to wish she'd hurry up and give him some.

Ah, but you know how that book works out:

Give a toad some nookie and he'll want a cup of me. Shhh

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2016 10:23:24 AM

Neurons: 67,828
Wildlife try to reclaim their area. They fight with humans and cause harm. We hear of Leopards, Hyenas, Elephants, pythons and many other animals enter human colonies to take back their encroached habitats.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj