The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Irrational Imitative Behaviour Options
Blooper
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 9:30:43 AM

Neurons: 2,292
I am looking for an english word (or term) for an indonesian word latah. I have looked up english-indonesian dictionary and found these:

latah
a nervouse condition characterized by erratic involuntary imitative behaviour (coll.) other irrational imitative behaviour (e.g imitation of speech, etc.

I wonder if there is a shorter version (one word) for latah.

*I remember in a movie Danny DeVito saying, "OK, OK, OK, OK,..." repeatedly (I don't remember the movie tittle, starring Mel Gibson). This kind of behaviour in my languange called latah.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 10:09:23 AM

Neurons: 583,784
blabbermouthed, gabby, garrulous, loquacious, talkative?
LampsJT
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 10:26:58 AM

Imitative 'behaviour'? umm.. Echopraxia is a term of art if you fancy that or a demotic equivalent would be... perseveration?
Blooper
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 10:44:04 AM

Thank you JJ, but I am not sure if those words are exactly what I mean.
I don't know how to describe it precisely. It's a disorder. Usually only saying one word repeatedly. Usually triggered if one (who suffers from this disorder) gets shocked (yelling, door bang, thunder, etc).

Or maybe this disorder only exists in my country.
Blooper
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 10:56:28 AM

LampsJT wrote:
Imitative 'behaviour'? umm.. Echopraxia is a term of art if you fancy that or a demotic equivalent would be... perseveration?

Echopraxia, I thought this was it, but after
looking up this term on dictionary and other sources, it says "imitation of movement or action of others".
LampsJT
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 10:57:02 AM

Blooper wrote:
Thank you JJ, but I am not sure if those words are exactly what I mean.
I don't know how to describe it precisely. It's a disorder. Usually only saying one word repeatedly. Usually triggered if one (who suffers from this disorder) gets shocked (yelling, door bang, thunder, etc).

Or maybe this disorder only exists in my country.

Echolalia then, which is a form of phonic tic.
RuthP
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 10:57:18 AM

Neurons: 87,618
Tourette syndrome or Tourette's syndrome?

Tourette's Syndrome of America (support group) This is the U.S. branch; they might have links for other countries.

National Institutes of Health (U.S.): Tourette syndrome Lots of information. You need to click on links to get to the actual information. Also provides links to other sites.

NIH: Tourette syndrome fact sheet Quite a bit of information on this link alone. A summary.
LampsJT
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 11:05:46 AM

RuthP wrote:
Tourette syndrome or Tourette's syndrome?

Tourette's Syndrome of America (support group) This is the U.S. branch; they might have links for other countries.

National Institutes of Health (U.S.): Tourette syndrome Lots of information. You need to click on links to get to the actual information. Also provides links to other sites.

NIH: Tourette syndrome fact sheet Quite a bit of information on this link alone. A summary.

Misnomer that, Tourette, if only on account of being an umbrella term.
excaelis
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 11:05:53 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Often a symptom of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or an indicator for one of the Autism Spectrum Disorders. However, I think LampsJT has it right. I knew there was a name for it but my retrieval system wasn't functioning properly. Thanks Lamps.
pedro
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 11:06:38 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Could be a form of Autism or possibly OCD
Blooper
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 11:12:40 AM

Thank you all. I think echolalia as LampardJohnTerry said is the closest word that I am looking for.

Now I am looking for the less formal term if there's any.
Anktsunamunh
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 12:35:08 PM

Neurons: 173
"Repetitive speech" or "Repetitive Speech Patterns", maybe?
HoosierDaddy
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 2:39:15 PM

Neurons: 175,119
Blooper wrote:

*I remember in a movie Danny DeVito saying, "OK, OK, OK, OK,..." repeatedly (I don't remember the movie tittle, starring Mel Gibson). This kind of behaviour in my languange called latah.

...the Leathal Weapon movies.
kitten
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 3:04:55 PM

Neurons: 7,420
latah [ˈlɑːtə]
n
(Psychology) a psychological condition, observed esp in Malaysian cultures, in which an individual, after experiencing a shock, becomes anxious and suggestible, often imitating the actions of another person
[from Malay] <<<<< TFD Dictionary

la·tah (lät)
n.
A nervous disorder characterized by an exaggerated physical response to being startled or to unexpected suggestion.

The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Latah
A culture specific reaction to sudden stress described in Southeast Asia. Latah involves startle-induced disorganization, hypersuggestibility, automatisms, command obedience, uncontrollable motor and verbal responses—e.g., echolalia, echopraxia, coprolalia—and dissociative and trancelike behaviour
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2011 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved <<<<< TFD Medical

Latah
Latah is a condition where, triggered by the startle reflex, victims fall into a trance in which he or she engages in repetitive speech or movements. Often these take the form of echopraxic and/or echolaliac automatisms. Latah is found only in certain world cultures and is therefore commonly considered a culture-specific syndrome.

Overview

Latah, as a noun, is also the name for those with the condition, which is found mainly in women. Latahs are generally not considered responsible for their actions during these episodes. The word latah is of Middle Eastern origin[citation needed]. The term is also used in Malaysia and Indonesia.[1]

Similar conditions have been recorded within other cultures and locations, such as among the so-called Jumping Frenchmen of Maine, women of the Ainu of Japan (imu), Siberian (miryachit), Filipino and Thai peoples; however, the connection among these syndromes has been controversial.[2] The Ainu blame imu on possession by snakes. TFD>>>> <<<< wikipedia

peace out. >^,,^<
excaelis
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 5:00:23 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Wow ! Nice work Kitten; Thanks for the 411.
Blooper
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 6:21:14 PM

O.. I remember, the automatic response of latah could be echopraxic but usually or mainly is echolalic.

Or, maybe it's me that didn't notice that latah usually forms both echopraxia and echolalia.
jcbarros
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 11:33:36 PM

Neurons: 9,122
Phonirrational :)
Olaila
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 1:53:22 AM

Neurons: 15
Blooper...how about gabble???
thar
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:00:12 AM

Neurons: 90,073
re kitten's post, - Wow -it seems really weird that an entirely involuntary, brain-induced process should be so culture specific.

So people have heard of other people doing this, and the brain stores up the information of how to react in case it ever happens to you? That really is nurture over nature!
I can't imagine it is that common, so people can only hear of it, not even experience it. And that story, told like any other cultural tale, is stored so deeply it is instinctively activated in a time of stress?
Unless there is an inherited instinct in the population - bet the geneticists would shoot that one down!